1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michael Causer, 18, Murdered for being gay

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Paul_UK, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

This happened over two months ago! I only found out about this from this month's "Attitude" magazine. There have been no significant mentions in the media etc.

From http://www.liverpooltimes.net/2008/08/06/the-murder-of-michael-causer/

Not newsworthy because he's gay? Not newsworthy because it didn't happen in London?

My internet connection here is slow so I can't find much more info easily. Google his name though and you'll find more information.

2. pirateninja

Someone on the site made the comment that reflects my own opinions on it:

"A person killed simply because of their skin colour, the murderers get 25 years in prison and the incident is in the media spotlight.

A person killed simply because of their sexual orientation and the country hardly gets to know.

What does that say about our media?"

Truly shocking. My thoughts to the boy's family.

3. ltb2511

I have got to say sometimes the society we live in is sickening.
    It's ridiculous the media didnt see it as important as they would have had it been a racist attack.
    I'll stop now before I start a rant about my thoughts on this.

4. Loveless

Loveless Guest

That is horrible

5. Bookmarked

Shocking, gruesome and a tragic waste of a young life. My condolances to his friends and family.

Still, has anyone noticed how the article seems a little...off in its focus. I mean, it mentions "This is a pattern of behaviour which has flourished under the new labour government whose own collective criminal intent and malice makes Michael’s killers seem like boy scouts."

Is it just me who said "What the..." at this paragraph? First of all, I don't understand exactly -how- the government is directly responsible (and apparently more responsible) than the actual murderers. I mean, education and other social things are the responsibility of the government, but the ultimate guilt rests with the killers and the killers alone.

It's still the last line that bothers me most of all "...whose own collective criminal intent and malice makes Michael’s killers seem like boy scouts." No. That seems just wrong to me. The people that murdered this young man did so with such malice and such obvious knowledge that they were going to kill him that nothing can compare with it. Shifting blame to the Governement takes the blame from where it rightfully belongs.

Still, I might just be overreacting.

6. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's disgusting what people do to someone based on sexuality. I can't wait for a world when there's no more hate. :frowning2:

7. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've given up on that dream. So long as humans live there will be hate. We cannot accept ourselves for who we are, we constantly blow each other up, bitch over the stupidest of things, take what we have for granted, not bother to understand anything...
    [bashes head against a brick wall]

WHY THE F*** ARE SO MANY SO CALLED "FIRST WORLD" COUNTRIES SO F***ED UP!?
    Australia and America, the world's two most gay countries, with some of the worst gay rights in the first world.
    ARGH... [continues bashing head against wall]

And people were pissed off about NBC in America censoring Matthew Mitcham's sexuality during the olympics when they were going all over olympians' personal lives (and making up rumours about some too). I can only imagine the backlack when this gets spread around more.

:dry: I swear that if I could make my own country in the middle of the Pacific I would.

NGVRNGU3NBGIU3BGOGBVBFVUOBRJVBVBR.

[/rant]

8. Danielle

Danielle Guest

Yeah I agree with everything you said they will always be hate, Most first world countries are f**ked up, I am also pissing off about NBC censoring Matthew Mitcham's sexuality and I would probably join your country

9. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol a friend of mine and I have had a dream of just making our fortress in the middle of the ocean or deep underground where we can live away from bull$#!7 of the world.
    That and survive the inevitable WWIII which will see the destruction of the world.

Honestly, DON'T THE MEDIA THRIVE ON STORIES OF DEATHS AND TRAGEDIES?!
    [bashes head against brick wall again]

:bang::bang::bang::bang:

10. -Michael-

This is disturbing.

The media is so messed up.

11. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember hearing about this when it first happened, but I had no idea he died. All I knew was that he is badly beaten.

Tis worrying that I have walked through Huyton before. It isn't that far from me. :confused:
    Nah way lyk.[/scouse]

12. berileos

berileos Guest

That happens almost every day in Serbia,so they have to keep parades a secret...:icon_sad:

13. Derek the Wolf

Things like this only tend to upset me. It's a shame, but some people are killed just because they're gay. Just like some people are killed just because of the color of their skin, or their gender, or their religion, or what clan they were born into. The world tends to be a sick, brutal place. All we can do is make the best of it.

14. Fiorino

It's so sad that we live in such a sick world. This is why we need to
    work together to get our rights and our respect so that this never
    happens again. We're getting there, but we've still got a long way
    to go. My condolences and thoughts to his family.

15. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Inthecloset, give me a ring when that plan gets finished. I'll gladly join in if you're willing to have me.

:wink:

16. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heh.. We should probably make a game thread or something of us each contributing one point to making our dream world.. And then seeing what we all put in mashed together.

One thing which really pisses me off a lot is how there are lots of black "ganstas" who are so homophobic, and yet we're both going through the same kind of discrimination and torture they go through.
    :dry: This world is full of hypocrites.

17. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Or the women who hate gay people, or the Mexicans who hate the blacks, or any other minority that hasn't realized other people are going through something similar. It's ridiculous, but I don't see an end to it any time soon. The best I can do is try to speed things along for us.

18. Sam

Sam

This is so sad I don't understand how people can be so cruel. This world is crazy.

19. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Unfortunately as a whole hate will never go away. Look at the history of the world, there has ALWAYS been hatred of some group by another group. With millenia of history, I don't see it going away during our lifetimes. :icon_sad:

20. Endlessnight500

This is sad. A hate crime needs to be recognized as a hate crime. Its that simple....I dont see how people can neglect to see that Killing people based on sexual oreintation is a hate crime.