1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Unarmed teenager killed by Cop in Suburban St. Louis.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BryanM, Aug 11, 2014.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    More here: Michael Brown shooting: Unarmed black Missouri teen shot after altercation, police say - CBS News

This story enrages me. Like Michael Brown's mother said today, why did they have to take her son from him? She worked so hard to keep him and school and have him graduate. This is why so many urban minority kids drop out of school, because no matter what they'll get racially profiled like this. The riots are also very saddening. This cop should be up on murder charges.

2. CBA

CBA Guest

3. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm ashamed to say, that this kind of thing happens in my country, as well. White cop kills unarmed black man; nothing done about it. To be fair, though, police shoot and kill other nationalities as well sometimes, when non-lethal means of restraint could have been used, and don't ever get charged for that, either. It really does seem like the police are sort of 'above the law'.

4. Candace

Ugh...stories like me just leave me in an abhorred and distraught mood :dry: :bang:.

5. Raikamaru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  6. LovelyBunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No one deserves this. 'African American' is the most stereotyped race in the world... so its depressing knowing no matter how good you are and no matter what you do you can still get shot just for the color of your skin. Racism,and Racial Profiling is hard in general--

:eusa_doh: poor kids, im sorry.

#6 LovelyBunny, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's true that some cops may harbor racial prejudice, but I guarantee the shooting was not a hate crime. Was he justified in shooting? Maybe, that's what the investigation will show.

But Michael Brown committed a battery on an LEO, which is a violent felony. Because cops carry guns, the one in question had to assume that he was in a fight for his life. Being knocked unconscious means that Brown could have shot him with his own gun, and the cop made the assumption that he was still a threat while backing off. He need not be armed or charging to be met with justified deadly force if the shooter can explain the belief that he is still dangerous.*

I don't mean to take a side before we know all the facts, and we shouldn't be quick to cry out for the plight of a lawless brute who fought police.

*That's the tipping point I think. It all hinges on the decision to shoot him after he stopped his immediate attack.

#7 Argentwing, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  8. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

Sadly this is true ^^^

It's sad that nothing is done

9. DMark69

I agree with Argentwing. We don't have all the facts, there are reports that after the initial assault on the LEO, they ran to about 35 ft away, then Brown turned back and charged the cop. Within 1-2 seconds he would have been within the 21 ft rule making him an immediate threat that justifies lethal force in self defense. The officer is reported to have started firing at that point finally stopping Brown only 3 ft in front of the officer. Any delay may have resulted in serious injury to the officer, even if Brown were unarmed. The time covered total would only be 3-5 seconds, no time to even determine if he were armed.

I am not saying that the truth could not be different than these reports, however even Brown's accomplice has changed his story to match this one. If this story is accurate, it should be ruled a good shoot, and essentially a suicide by cop. The court will have to decide that when they see all the evidence.

If they shooting is determined by the court to be a racial hate crime, or that the officer acted outside of established policy, then by all means send him to jail. If, however, the story above turns out to be true, let him be.

It is tragic when anyone is killed for any reason. I believe however that a violent attackers life is of lesser value than someone defending themselves from a violent attacker.