1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News 17% of Iranians are Gay???

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by RainbowMan, Aug 11, 2014.

1. RainbowMan

I personally find this incredibly hard to believe, but there's a report by the Iranian parliament which states that 80% of Iranian young people are sexually active (despite being a hardline Muslim country that prohibits sex before marriage), and that 17% of those report same-sex intercourse, despite homosexual acts being punishable by death.

Sexual mores in Iran: Throwing off the covers | The Economist

I'm not certain that the report is accurate, but it would be interesting for a country where the president 7 years ago said this:

2. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find this really hard to believe, but at the same time why would they lie?
    Maybe they meant 1.7 :icon_bigg

3. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are so many sexually repressed people in the Middle East. It's common for men to have sex with men there - whether they are gay or not is debatable. I've heard from people who have visited there that they have been directly propositioned by other men.

4. RainDreamer

It says something when Iran is the second country in the world with the most sex reassignment surgeries performed in the world after thailand.

From what I heard though, most of the people going through the surgeries are not necessarily transgendered. There are gay men who have to choose to going through it in order to be with the one they love, or face persecution, because of one reason or another, transexual are a bit more accepted than homosexual there. People who went through surgery automatically got all their legal papers and stuff remade to fit with their "new" gender. But they are told to keep everything quiet and their past buried to avoid being stigmatized.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree. I haven't heard this about the entire Middle East, but I have definitely heard this about Turkey. This is from people who went on exchange programs to Europe and traveled to Turkey and possibly further into the Middle East. They were hit on. Slotting Turkey into either Europe or the Middle East is tricky. But, from what I've seen, Middle Eastern men appear to be more forward about their horniness than people from other areas. I'd venture that there is a lot of bisexuality, either dormant or acted upon, in the Middle East.

6. 741852963

From my limited understanding sexual conduct between men is publicly frowned upon, but behind close doors it is something that just happens, even with married men.

I don't think its necessarily a "gay" thing - certainly not if figures are that high. Perhaps instead it is seen as an "alternative" to sex outside of marriage (either for bachelors or married men wanting variety), perhaps they don't consider it cheating if its with a man. This is probably the case - I'd imagine its rare for men over there to find young women willing to have casual sex due to the strict values they have around virginity and pre-marital sex. Its probably easier to hook up with guys until you settle down.

Alternatively the extreme nature of the prohibition might make same-sex sex a bit of a forbidden fruit - so perhaps its more of a kink thing?

7. Candace

Since a lot of them (like many mentioned) are sexually repressed due to their society and stuff, perhaps there's an even higher amount that wasn't documented? What about all of those gays who chose not to answer?

8. Beware Of You

This doesn't surprise me, one of my best friends is Iranian and he keeps himself busy with the ladies so to speak. They are actually not that repressed, they force it underground there are literally orgies in the bottom of empty swimming pools in Tehran (at night so out of view of the police helicopters)

9. White Knight

If they are coming on to you, tourists, it is because they think of you lesser man. Some Turkish men like to think they are only masculine, manly men of the world. Their m/m sex idea is very close to Vikings in that case. They should be top... any slight indication about making them bottom will cause a black eye if you are lucky. Oh there are some who can agree to bottom but they are gay guys... probably closeted ones.

However it is not like they jump on every guy, it is frowned upon openly coming on to other guys. It might hurt their reputation if they've seen with another guy other than friendly manner. We live for our family honor and being gay is a big disgrace to your family. Turkish guys easy to drag into sexual intercourse with another man. They also can have sex with an animal and brag about it. For them sex is sex... So calling them bisexuals might be wishfull thinking.

You might feel hurt by me comparing a gay guy to an animal but it is how they see you... a hole they can stick their member in. No emotions or anything... they won't look you in the eye, they won't hug you, they even won't talk you unless giving you orders. After you finished you will be forgotten until they need another release. In rare occasions they can stick with you for prolonged time until they find a regular or any female partner to have sex with. Being married never been a problem for them to having sex with a gay guy... actually some like it as it is not officially "cheating".

If this is your idea of bisexuallity, then yeah they are hard core bisexuals.

10. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I believe it, too. There are chatrooms out there swarming with men from these regions.

11. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like I need to pay a visit to Turkey. [​IMG]

12. Wow, I'm shocked. But if there are less people in America who are gay, then the number in a place with so many restrictions like Iran can't be right... Can it? I don't know what to say.

13. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Stats are always tricky and seldom reliable, I think it's safe to say that there are a lot more gay/bi people out there than we think

14. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow I was going to visit San Francisco, maybe now I'll go to Tehran, instead :lol:

15. White Knight

Please do but be careful. Being a tourist can protect you up to a point... be carefull about boys around your age exactly... they tend to be more aggresive.

Also if I was half of my age I would even give you exact address where you should go in Turkey. :grin:

16. BloodyRose3000

Turkish men are gorgeous. I wonder if I can still swap my trip to Paris for Istanbul? LOL.

17. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think it's as high as 17%. It would be useful to see what the actual questions were because it could be as simple as "have you ever had homosexual feelings?"

18. Hiems

lel

Anyway, perhaps a more reliable stat would be Iran's page visits on certain Tumblr pages? Those numbers don't lie, I think :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Not to determine whether they're gay but at least curious...

19. jahow95

I haven't opened the link so I may sound ignorant, but going on what is in the OP I find this extremely hard to believe...

80% of young people have come forward and incriminated themselves, and acknowledged to the government that they have broken the law. Meaning that the figure of those who are actually sexually active before marriage will be higher (anyone who lied to defend themselves).

Almost 1 in 5 people have come forward and confessed to a crime punishable by death?

You would assume that nobody would admit to something that carries that punishment, so you would assume that around 100% of people had truthfully had same sex relations, if those stats were correct.

I smell bullshit

20. Abi

Abi Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What...