1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Rick Perry Indicted for Abuse of Power

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by William, Aug 15, 2014.

1. William

Click Meh

Well, the republicans are going to face trouble in 2016 with all the god damn scandals.

Not only that, but damn it Perry.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fuck yes. I don't like him either so that's cool, but more importantly, this sets a precedent for other abuse of political power.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good riddance, Rick. The man's IQ isn't as big his shoe size and this is hardly a shocker.

4. Candace

Yeehaw!! :grin: *fires gun in air* :eusa_danc:eusa_danc (!) (!) (!). About damn time that someone overthrew this moron from his throne. Bye Rick, don't come back until the cows come home! :smilewave.

5. Sitri

Interesting... this may be beneficial to the conservatives.

6. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

So Rick Perry gets in trouble for this petty offense while the Democrats get away with all of the scandals that they've pulled.

7. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

There are plenty here that don't like him. I hope this spells the end.

---------- Post added 15th Aug 2014 at 09:15 PM ----------

They all seem to be corrupt and poisoned. Where do you honestly begin?

8. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

The complete disregard for the law in the federal government is where we should start. The only reason Perry is being charged is because a few Democrats don't like him. I don't care what people thing about his stance on LGBT people. Texas is the most business friendly state in the nation and the economy is booming, the democrats hate when republicans succeed.

9. Ivysaur

Finally! Really didn't like him since his 2012 run and happy that he won't go remotely far in 2016

10. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree. Although Texas is what, ten percent of the US GDP? Where I live and have lived here is pro lgbt and then some , it is not a bad place if you're in the right industry.

It will all come out in the wash. ...

I hope.

#10 Ruprect, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  11. William

This

12. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    And then some ...(!)

13. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hell yeah! Finally, something to like coming from my home!

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Texas may be business friendly, but it is corrupt as hell -- read any of Molly Ivins' books or the Texas Observer. The legislature is so corrupt they basically own it and are even proud of it.

Additionally, Texas has an awful lot of firsts in really backwards-thinking beliefs... they almost forced a complete corruption of science textbook adoption nationwide because for a while they were refusing to buy any primary or secondary science textbooks that did not teach that evolution was valid and proven.

This is not a place to be proud of.

15. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Nothing is more corrupt than our current presidents administration! I doubt very many people care what the textbooks say, the students reading them sure as hell don't.

There is a reason young people are fleeing to Texas as fast as possible, including me! Texas is the last place in the country where the middle class is alive and well and growing every year. The economy is booming and land is cheap! Places like Dallas and Houston are fantastic places to live with large gay communities and mostly accepting people.

I don't understand why people hate on Texas so much. People focus in on petty things and talk about how backwards of a place it is, well it isn't. Look at the ultra liberal states and tell me how well the economies are doing there. California is broke, Detroit is dead, Chicago is just about the most corrupt city on the face of the planet. So sure, I guess the liberal states have gay marriage and restrictive gun laws to make ignorant people feel safer. Too bad none of that matters since everyone is broke, unemployed and miserable.

I'll take a high paying job, house and financial security over textbooks that teach about evolution. :roflmao:

16. vyvance

Shame it could mar his presidential run. I'd love for him to run. His nomination would guarantee the republicans lose the election.

17. Aldrick

Maybe Perry and McDonnell can apply to go to the same federal prison together to be cell mates. :thumbsup:

18. William

Well, considering half of the GOP's candidates are fucking insane, they're not going to win unfortunately. UNLESS, my husband (if I was much older) Jon Huntsman runs, then Hillary is going to get a run for her money, but seeing as the delegates of the GOP aren't that smart, then the Republicans don't stand a chance.

19. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Not particularly. We currently have a budget surplus.

---------- Post added 16th Aug 2014 at 12:26 AM ----------

I highly doubt that. If you don't believe me, just head down south of the border.

---------- Post added 16th Aug 2014 at 12:27 AM ----------

Poverty rates by state:
    [​IMG]

---------- Post added 16th Aug 2014 at 12:42 AM ----------

The other thing to remember is that Democrats are centrist at best, and very often center right, if we are going by a worldwide metric. They are only liberal on a US metric. They are also a bunch of fucking idiots.

#19 Necromancer, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
  20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's always an effective strategy, when attempting to refute an argument, to change the subject. </sarcasm>

The fact that you fail to see the concern with this is really troubling, but not terribly surprising given the rest of your views. The issue here is that Texas is one of the largest states and therefore is able to dictate curriculum for textbooks used nationwide, since the school systems in the state are responsible for a large portion of national purchases. So when a backwards state dictates blatantly factually wrong information be written into textbooks that will be used, from K-12, to teach a generation of kids across the US blatantly wrong information based on religious belief instead of science, that has very, very serious repercussions for the country as a whole. This has been written about extensively, and everyone who is an intellectual with a brain, whether conservative or liberal, recognizes how dangerous it is to teach a generation of kids information that could stifle scientific research.

Additionally Perry and others in Texas actually attempted to pass a bill prohibiting the teaching of critical thought in high school students, using an argument to the effect of "Well, we don't believe that children should be critical of their parents and teachers." The danger of a society full of "yes men" who believe whatever they are told and not taught to analyze and criticize cannot be overstated. That sort of collective lack of will is what gives rise to some pretty dangerous things.

But I don't expect you to acknowledge, agree with, or even respect any of the above. I suspect that attempting to have a rational conversation to talk openly and vulnerably about these sorts of concerns -- which are neither Democratic nor Republican, but simply basic values that *everyone* should care about -- is not going to be possible based on the positions and arguments and responses you've offered thus far. Thus, I'll basically trust that the EC community is intelligent enough to figure out for themselves which viewpoints make the most sense and are the most grounded in reason, thought, and concerns for society as a whole.