1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Those Damn Stereotypes

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by ZenMusic, Aug 21, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

I wasn't sure where to put this Why Do Masculine Gay Guys Look Down On Feminine Guys? / Queerty but it seems to me like the author of this article seems to think being a "true gay" requires you to air yoiur dirty laundry out in public and be "feminine." And if you aren't feminine, you are self loathing and couldn't even dream of being as strong as effeminate gay men, which I find a little insulting and, in regards to the point of this article, hypocritical. I have no problen with feminine men, it's when they exhibit the more negative traits (Deceptiveness, Duplicity, Arrogance, etc, etc.) But of course these attributes can be found in anyone. This is one of the reasons I don't want to be part of any community. I never chose to be Black. I never chose to be gay. I don't owe anyone anything. Does this even happen in the gay community?

2. RainDreamer

I think the author just got mistaken between sexual attraction and gender expression. But they do get one point that should be noted: we are all in this together.

3. Candace

I don't ever consider myself a part of any community. I'm my own community. I shouldn't have to live up to some arbitrary standards placed forth for no good reason other than to exclude people from the group.

4. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The stupid rivalry between "fem guys" and "masculine guys" is one of my least favorite things about being gay and makes me wish I were straight sometimes.

5. 741852963

The author was making a fair and reasonable point up until he threw out this absolute bile:

"Sorry, not all of us want to spend our lives trying desperately to fit in with the rest of the world. It’s boring."

Which effectively destroys his entire article in my opinion. Calling masculine gay men "desperate to fit in" or "boring" is as hateful and intolerant as a masculine gay man insulting a feminine gay man. Its utterly hypocritical of the author and if he speaks like that in his everyday life I'm not surprised he has faced some animosity.

Or this one:

"I am not part of the “faggot” imaginary subgroup designated for gay men who aren’t twinks with washboard abs and Miley Cyrus haircuts."

So all masculine men are super fit twinks? Talk about stereotyping. And besides, I thought the subculture twinks were stereotypically associated with "femme" culture? *shrugs*

6. ffxii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am gay and I absolutely love muscular body, it feels more manly. I never understood this: If you are gay and like men, why would you prefer a guy who looks and acts more like a girl then a man? I myself dislike those kinds of gays who are attention seekers and act all girly in public and think like they are important and have duty to show how 'awesome' they are. My apology if I insulted anyone, but that's my opinion.

7. Ruthven

gender roles up in here i see....

there is no such thing as "acting like a girl" cuz that makes it as if girls are only a certain way and have the monopoly on fem shit. and this obviously goes for "acting like a man" too

this shit is harmful to everyone. just becuz a guy is fem does not invalidate him bein a guy and vice versa for masc girls

and that's fine you have your preferences. you look like physically masculine guys and masc personalities and such.

not every guy who is into guys is gonna be just like you when it comes to this

people are more complex than that. it's what makes us individuals.

8. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because I'm attracted to guys, that's why. Just because he exhibits traits that we label "feminine" doesn't mean the he isn't still a man with a man's body. That is what I'm attracted to.