1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What this election means to me...

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by beckyg, Sep 11, 2008.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I admit that until the last six years or so I was pretty much an uninformed voter. I didn’t care much about politics. I voted for my political party whichever it may be and accepted where the chips may fall. I have been both Republican and Democrat.

When my son came out as gay, things changed for me. I know my son did not choose to be gay. He was born that way yet because of his sexual orientation, he lives in a country that does not protect his rights as a human being. His two sisters who were born straight could legally marry the person they love. My son born and raised in the exact same household could not. Sure, he could live a lie, marry a woman and have children with her, with the probable outcome of making himself and numerous other people miserable. However, he chose to live his life authentically and I am extremely proud of him for that.

Not only was he not allowed the privilege of a legally protected relationship, he was also not protected from discrimination. In fact, he WAS discriminated against when one of his employers learned he was gay. She tried to prevent him from seeking employment in another part of the company. I was invited to be the first personal testimony to tell this story in front of the Oregon Senate when the anti-discrimination laws were being discussed. It was very difficult for me yet I am extremely proud of the role that I played in getting this important law passed in Oregon. However, we still do not have these protections at a federal level. People can still be kicked out of their apartment, a restaurant, or fired from their job in some states because they are gay. I’m sure most would agree that this is absolutely wrong yet most Republican politicians will not take a stand for Employment Non-Discrimination. So where do our Presidential candidates stand on these issues? Let’s look at John McCain first:

Opposed Ending Discrimination against Gay, Lesbian,
    Bisexual and Transgender Americans in the Workplace.
    Senator John McCain cast a deciding vote against the
    federal Employment Non-Discrimination Act.

Opposed Protecting GLBT Americans from Hate
    Crimes. Senator McCain voted three times against
    expanding the federal hate crimes law to include sexual
    orientation.

Proponent of a Discriminatory Military Policy.
    Senator McCain supports “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” and does
    not believe that gays should serve in the U.S. military.

Opponent of Equal Benefits for Same-Sex Couples.
    Senator McCain voted for the Defense of Marriage Act, which
    prohibits same-sex couples from receiving over 1,100 federal
    rights and benefits even if they are married in their state.

Actively Supported a State Ban on Domestic
    Partnerships. Senator McCain campaigned for a ban
    on same-sex relationship recognition in his home state
    of Arizona and appeared in a campaign television ad on
    the issue.

Supported the Confirmation of Anti-GLBT Equality
    Judges. Senator McCain voted to confirm President
    Bush’s judicial nominees who had taken anti-GLBT positions.
    He has pointed to Justice Samuel Alito as a role
    model for future Supreme Court appointments.

Supported a Discriminatory HIV/AIDS Policy. Senator
    John McCain supported a Jesse Helms strategy to cut off
    funding for prevention efforts aimed at the gay community
    and voted to bar foreign nationals with HIV from immigrating
    to the United States.

On top of this, he opposes adoptions by same-sex couples. Yes, John McCain would deny my son his right to fatherhood and he would deny a child in need of a good home simply because both his parents happen to be male or female while thousands of children are in foster homes waiting to be adopted into a good home.

OK, how about Sarah Palin?

Palin Opposed Supreme Court Ruling Giving Same-Sex Couples Benefits: Asked if she would support the Alaska Supreme Court’s ruling that spousal benefits for state employees should be given to same-sex couples, Palin responded, “No, I believe spousal benefits are reserved for married citizens as defined in our constitution.” [Eagle Forum questionnaire]

Palin Opposed Expanding Hate Crimes Laws: Asked if she would support an effort to expand hate crime laws, Palin responded, “No, as I believe all heinous crime is based on hate.” [Eagle Forum questionnaire]

Palin Said She Supported Ban on Gay Marriage and Denying Benefits to Gay Couples: “Palin said she’s not out to judge anyone and has good friends who are gay, but that she supported the 1998 constitutional amendment [to ban gay marriage]. Elected officials can’t defy the court when it comes to how rights are applied, she said, but she would support a ballot question that would deny benefits to homosexual couples. ‘I believe that honoring the family structure is that important,’ Palin said. She said she doesn’t know if people choose to be gay.” [Anchorage Daily News (Alaska), 8/6/06]

Palin Said She Supported a Constitutional Amendment Overturning Supreme Court Mandate of Benefits for Same-Sex Couples: Asked if she would support a Constitutional amendment to overturn the Alaska Supreme Court decision mandating public employers to provide benefits equivalent to same-sex couples, Sarah Palin responded “yes.” [Alaska Family Council Voter Guide, 8/22/06]

So what about Barack Obama? With the exception of full fledged marriage rights for same-sex couples, Barack Obama has supported every gay rights bill including employment non-discrimination, hate crimes legislation, and he opposes the highly discriminatory “don’t ask, don’t tell” that has dismissed 12,000 qualified men and women from our military simply because they chose to live their lives authentically.

And Senator Joe Biden? His unwavering support for gay rights has been prevalent throughout his career. He is truly a candidate for equality.

So you all know my passion for gay rights. I have come to know and love my gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender friends. However, we can’t vote on just one issue, can we?

So let’s look at some more reasons why I’m supporting Barack Obama. Recently, I sat with four other child care providers in a hottub. We were discussing health care. I was the only one of us there that had health insurance. There is something really wrong in this country when it is considered a privilege to be covered by health care insurance. In my own personal opinion, I have not seen any improvement from the George Bush administration on this issue. In fact, those of us that are insured have probably seen a significant decrease in the amount of benefits we are receiving. Am I right? I listened to one of my child care provider friends talk about the worry they had when their child had a broken bone and required surgery. It has taken them five years and they have still not paid off this one accident. Considering that John MCCain has voted with George Bush 90% of the time, I do not trust another Republican to effectively make change within our health care systems. I don’t know what the answer is but I do know that what we have now is not working.

I am very strongly opposed to the war in Iraq being drug out for several more years. McCain was quoted as saying that he didn’t care if it lasted another 100 years. What? Over 4000 soldiers have died so far. How many more are we going to lose before we put this war to an end. George Bush found no “weapons of mass destruction” . I actually remember an argument I had with a friend from Palestine who told me that Bush would find no weapons. I argued adamantly in opposition to him. (Yes, I voted for Bush the first time around!) He was right and later I apologized to him! Bush has never offered any apologies and McCain has supported this war since its inception. How many more people are going to die? Republicans are all about “winning”. I have yet to understand what exactly we “win”. A place in the history book? How many lives is that going to cost us? Oh yes, and where is Osama Bin Laden, the real culprit of September 11th?

Then there is abortion rights. I am not “for” abortion. What am I for is the right for a woman to make that decision for herself. It is not MY decision to decide whether a 13 year old who was raped and impregnanted by her step-father should have an abortion. It is not my right to decide for a 34 year old un-wed professional. I love babies but not everyone is cut out to have one. I would love for everyone considering an abortion to choose adoption but sometimes that is just not an option. I would rather abortion be legal and safe and that we put more federal money into promoting safe sexual practices. Abstinence only education does not work. (Example: Bristol Palin) Kids have sex, let’s face the fact. Talk to them about abstinence but also talk to them about safe sex and how to prevent teenage pregnancies! (Yes you, Sarah Palin!!!) Let’s put money into that!

I am also a strong advocate for the separation of church and state. Religious beliefs do not belong in our federal government. Religion has been used to oppress women, blacks, and now gays. That is not acceptable. Even Christians have varying beliefs that no one could ever possibly agree upon. It is better to have religion completely out of our government. John McCain selected Sarah Palin as his running mate because of her appeal to the religious right. Those people who think religion ought to be in government and it worked. Sarah Palin believes in teaching creationism schools. If you want the Bible taught to your child, then send them to Christian schools. I want my grandchildren to learn what science has taught us about the evolution of man in school. They can learn about the Bible in church and then use their God-given brains to decipher what they believe for themselves!

I am voting for Barack Obama not only for his support for the glbt community but also because I think he is a person who can truly implement change in our government. He is someone who can bring positive change worldwide by creating better relations with other countries. He will end the war in Iraq in a timely manner. John McCain has criticized Obama’s plan saying that he will raise taxes. According to Politifact (www.politifact.com) the difference between Obama’s tax plan and McCains is a mere 2%. I can afford 2% for a more efficient well-run country, can you? Barack Obama cares about the poor working class. John McCain owns 7 houses and his wife wears $300,000 earrings. Barack Obama cares about healthcare and knows that significant changes need to be made to our healthcare system so that everyone has affordable healthcare coverage! I am ready for change. I believe Barack Obama can create that change for us!

That my friends is the end of my rant! :icon_bigg

2. ausdtc

Thanks Becky! Though this election doesn't directly effect me, that was a very interesting read. I'm glad to see that some people put some thought (in this case, a lot of it!) into who they're voting for :slight_smile:

3. Noah

I'm a libertarian, and I agree with you 100%.
    Based on those two candidates, I would definitely choose Obama.

4. Although I'm not directly affected by the election, I've taken a keen interest in this one. I agree with you Becky, I really think Obama is going to be the best thing for America. McCain makes me laugh, because in my eyes, thats all he's worthy of, mocking. Maybe thats just me, and you know, freedom of choice type of thing. He's a laughing stock. Obama has morals, and i think thats what it comes down to, i really think he can make a positive and powerful impact for the USA, and the whole world needs a leader for the most influencial nation in the world, as the next few years are not going to be easy, with the whole global-warming-dodgy-economy situation we've found ourselves in.

So yeah, if i was involved, and i could vote, i would be backing Obama, all the way.

5. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for that extra knowledge Becky. I'm glad to see you're such a concerned voter now! Maybe this election will actually bring change to this country. :slight_smile:

6. MeskElil

GOD!!! If only I could VOTE!!! :bang: TWO more years. Just two.

I am, however, going to be working one of the poll centers on election day! :eusa_danc I is so excited, I is. I mean, come on, you can't get any closer to voting than that. And in my strictly and extremist Republican area *hiss* I'm going to wear my T-Shirt that has an peace sign made of an American flag. Hope the Center doesn't make me take it off. It's the best I can do, though.

7. Nodnarb

The new Obama Election Office just opened in Omaha yesterday, and my Aunt and Uncle who work up there stopped by and got us some stickers and buttons. They didn't have any signs yet tho. I think Obama has a chance to take the one electoral vote for Omaha.

I'm not able to vote until the next election tho:frowning2:....

8. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Quite an empowering and motivational rant, I must say. I'm certainly not in favor of giving Bush a third term, which is how McCain's camp seems to be playing out. Obama might repeat his mantra of change frequently, but it's something worth repeating.

9. Bookmarked

You know, this election is an exciting one, and I only wish I could suddenly become American and vote. I mean, I am on the electoral register here in the UK and I will be voting come the next general election...but the atmosphere seems to be "Meh. So what?"

I personally think that McCain is the beginning of the end times. Someone mentioned "a third term of Bush" and that's what it pretty much is. I'm not so clued up on domestic policy (mostly because I've been lazy and only listening to what the Times tells me) but it terms of foreign policy, Obama wins out in my book. I mean, yesterday, I realised exactly how long ago it was since they last promised that the troops in Iraq would be home "by Christmas...(of what year???)". And then there's Afganistan, which is the war that the media seems to have forgotten. Obama has the right idea-getting out of there, while at the same time supporting the budding infrastructure (forgetting the fact that we might be vaguely responsible for the state of it...).

However, in the UK...Let's look at the choices. Uhm. Well. Nobody in the major parties seems to be offering something different. I won't vote BNP (British National Party), because I think that saying that anyone who hasn't been in this country for generations and generations should "go home" is a little racist. I can't really say that there's any party that's particularily ethical or beneficial to people.

I guess I could throw away a vote to the Monster Raving Loony Party. That, or the Liberal Democrats.

10. Corny

Corny Guest

i am not sure if they still exist, but they definitely did. and they always had the most awesome candidates.

kinda the APPD (anarchist pogo party deutschland) that we had here. their agenda:
    stop working, it kills you.
    who needs education, we got alcohol
    right of being high - legalize all drugs
    against recycling - it's just too much work

and so on :wink:

11. Corny

Corny Guest

ok i had to research it a bit - they had some problems with splits into other parties (like the rock'n'roll loony party) but they still do exist.
    http://www.omrlp.com/

Watch their last candidate: Mad Cow Girl

12. Bookmarked

Oh yes. Yes there is actually a Monster Raving Loony Party. And they're still around, apparently. Their old leader was called "Screaming Lord Sutch" who, regrettably passed away. However, they're still around and active. Just google them and you'll find their official homepage and manifesto. It's political satire at its best.

13. pirateninja

I have to say, even though I'm not American, I've become so damn interested in this result. And if I was an American who could vote, I would certainly back Barack. :grin:

Anyway, I'm a firm Lib Dem supporter here. Even if they never win. :dry:

14. Urman

Urman Guest

im gonna vote for mccain or not vote im not sure yet im not voting for obama

15. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I could vote I would vote for Obama. I originally supported Hillary but her speech at the democratic convention was fantastic. All that information above just confirms exactly what I think of the republican nominees and I would not letter bitterness from Hillary not being nominated make me vote for the republicans. Obama hasn't done anything to be seen as being a dodgy character, and people can't claim that he has a lack of experience when Sarah Palin could become vice president. Obama has Joe Biden as his aid now which together covers the general woes people had about him. Any people against him now either support the republicans, which is fair enough as it's their choice, or they're bitter Hillary lost and are going against exactly what she said and pleaded for on her speech. If people trust her enough to be president then they should trust her judgement on who she thinks should be president. I'm pretty sure she has a better idea than us. :grin:

16. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was (and still am!) a huge Hillary supporter and was bitter that Obama got the nomination and not her. But after seeing her speech at the Democratic National Convention I realized I needed to vote for Obama because that's what she wants. She's urging all her supporters to please back Obama. "No way, no how, no McCain". McCain and Hillary aren't the same on any issue I can think of. Hillary and Obama are about 90% the same on most issues. Maybe you should think about it a little more. Do you really want 4 more years of the same? ...

17. Nixon

Nader 08'

18. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Hopefully, Obama will get into the White house. However, I wouldn't be surprised if McCain wins, since Palin (a woman) is his running mate. Yes, I believe in prophecies, and I believe in the Mayan calendar. Many prophecies have said that a woman is going to have a huge power.... draw your own conclusions.

19. aaaaaa

aaaaaa Guest

If I could, I'd vote for Obama... I've done as much as I can by campaigning, canvassing and doing literature drops. :grin:
    I swear, if McCain wins, I'll have lost all faith in the intelligence of the American people.

20. It's not really fair to say that just because people vote for a certain person or a certain way that they aren't intelligent though.