1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My school is getting a GSA?! What?!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Cheese Love, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Cheese Love

Long story short:
    The Liberal Youth Movement and the Amnesty International Club combined into one club, The Progressive Youth Movement, a socially, not necessarily politically liberal club.

Anyway, the first meeting was this morning and I woke up early, all excited for it, and accidently fell back asleep! This was an intro meeting, saying we could campaign at the DFL in our city for Obama, etc, and then a girl mentioned that she an a girl I know from school were trying to start a GSA and were going to see the counselor, Ms. Bloch about it.

Bloch is super cool, has tons of LGBT safe space stickers in her office, and used to head the former LGBTQ (no longer a club). And since I know one of the girls who starting it, I'm going to talk to her in spanish tomorrow and see if I can help out! I'm fairly certain she'll let me, too.

I'm super excited for this :grin:

I know there are a lot of GSA threads... I'm not looking for meeting ideas, but what exactly can you say to faculty other than "So we want to start a GSA." For people who have done this before, do you need to go into reasoning and meeting times right off the bat?

2. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Nice :grin:

I actually went to our first meeting today :grin:

3. Cheese Love

How did it go?

What did you guys all do? :]

4. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

It was interesting....

like 85% of the GSA is straight, + the head of the GSA said (guy) "I lost my virginity over the summer....REMEMBER TO USE LUBE"

@_@

5. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    An interesting subject to talk about at the first meeting would be (after getting a member list and contact information) raising awareness and the prevention of bullying/harassment towards LGBT students.

6. Cheese Love

Thanks for the advice! That's seems like a good place to start.

7. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    And if you ever do run out of things to discuss, GSAs are a great haven for the LGBT students to talk with each other openly, without fear of harassment from other students. Open discussion is always an option.