1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Right-Wing Friend

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by MeskElil, Sep 11, 2008.

1. MeskElil

My right-wing (a.k.a. hardcore Republican/pro-McCain/anti-everything-that-Democrats-are-for) friend told me she is anti-Prop. 8, which would ban gay marriage!
    :eek:
    :eusa_danc
    I'm so happy! Of all people, I thought she would say, "Oh! Must preserve sanctity of marriage! Cleanse the world of those godforsaken homosexuals!" *exorcism*
    But no. She said exactly what I've been saying: "I say that if you don't support gay marriage, DON'T GET ONE!"
    I jumped up and down with happiness! Maybe there's hope yet.
    Sorry, just wanted to share that as a morale booster for my fellow Americans and for everyone else who's interested as well.

-Mesk

2. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Hehe

I have a friend who's fine with me but "against homosexuality"....doesn't make sense :confused: .

3. Noah

Lots of people are like that.
    Against "homosexuality", but
    OH, you're gay?!?! oh that's cool by me. whatever makes you happy.

4. MeskElil

Yeah, the thing is that she doesn't even know about me being gay! She's just "No on Prop 8" of her own accord, without a (known) cause. So that's even better!

5. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Being in a southern public school, I know a lot of right-leaning students, and several of them are mixed on the issues concerning gay rights. I recall one of them participating in the DOS last year, shortly after saying she "wouldn't mind if we never had another Democratic president". Another of them is in theater and works with a lot of out gay people, but still uses "gaaaaay" for things she doesn't like. And then there are the ones who "ain't voting for no Democrat, we're southerners" - AND who can't stand us nasty homos.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yes it is! These people really need to speak up! I need to mail you a PFLAG Straight for Equality booklet for her! :slight_smile:

7. MeskElil

Well...yeah, it's kind of hard to come out to someone like her, though. I would give her the PFLAG stuff, but I think she might be a little weird about me being gay. *sigh* So she's not a homophobe if she doesn't know the person. :rolleyes: Oh well...

8. lcr guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Activist Judges aren't the way to get stuff done. You need to get the will of the people on your side. For that reason alone I'm inclined to support the proposition.

Besides, marriage for most has religious elements. I thought we wanted the separation of church and state? And shouldn't we respect those people on the otherside? A compromise is needed. That's why I'm for civil unions that carry all the same legal protections and responsibilities.

And "right wing people" in general as a group don't hate gay people, most are just not used to them. Having a difference of opinion as to policy doesn't make you homophobic or hateful.

Instead of trying to stir the pot of unrest here, where gay people have freedom, and right to life and civil unions in some places (and always the chance for more places), why don't we speak out against other countries like Iran that EXECUTES gay people.

9. MeskElil

The thing is that "civil unions" aren't equal to marriage. As beckyg has posted before, though I can't remember where, if your partner is in intensive care in the hospital, even if you are in a civil union, you are not recognized as a relative and are therefore not permitted to see them when they are dying. Married people, on the other hand, have that right.
    It's just one small thing, but the thought that I wouldn't be able to see my wife if she was dying hurts me very badly.
    There are other things that are left out of civil unions; I'm all for completely equal rights--governmental gender-blindness, if you will--and if this prop passes, we won't get it.
    Plus, I admit I am religious, and it would be pretty darn cool to be able to get married in my church. That, however, is just me.

10. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    And so you would chose to support a proposition that would effectively ban all forms of gay marriage in only the second state to have it legalized? I can't see the logic in this. There are plenty of ways to have a nonreligious wedding, and the act of legally/socially joining two people together far predates modern theism. That's not enough to merit a ban for all the people who want marriage.

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Respecting the other side? So by respecting the other side you mean that we should just settle for less and remain unequal? You see allowing same-sex marriage, doesn't affect those heterosexual marriages at all. You are saying that my son does not deserve the SAME protections as my daughters just because he happens to love another man. I'm sorry I totally disagree with that. You say marriage is a "religious" thing well many gay people are religious. They want their unions blessed by God and deserve that right. If they want to get married by Elvis in Vegas, they deserve that right too. Someone on death row who has committed a henious crime can get married. My son cannot. There is something seriously wrong with that.

Oh and YES, we should be speaking out to those countries like Iran who execute gay people. So we agree on that.

12. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Becky said it better than I could. Settling for inequality, inferiority, and discrimination is NEVER the way to gain rights. Yes, we should definitely support gays in countries where homosexuality is illegal, but there's nothing stopping us from doing that WHILE we secure equal marriage rights. Civil unions are not the same as marriage, and until same-sex couples are granted the same rights as heterosexual couples, I'm not going to stop fighting. You vote however you want, but I have to seriously question why you would choose to restrict the rights of your own minority.

13. lcr guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you are concerned about hospital visitation rights, make that an issue, make sure issues like that are on the lawbooks.
    I've often heard questions about wills, and how the gay partner is left out---well, that's easy to fix: anyone can update their wills to include anyone...

And "equal rights" aren't even a part of heterosexual marriage yet. I know my mom and other wives who have trouble getting some financial business taken care of without the signature of the husband/bread winner.... even though they are married and have joint everything.

I've said this before but will repeat it here. Gay people, along with some other groups, often talk about identity...well, straight people (being the majority) don't think of identity that often, but the idea of identity is paramount. Men grow up and seek a wife, girls grow up and seek a husband, so they can get married. Now, I wish we could all respect that, get the same rights on a different piece of paper, and we can all still throw around the words "marriage, husband or wife"--it would just be a different brand of the same product. We get what we need, and they keep what they want.

Maybe one day when priests can marry, and women can be priests, then the prospect of gay marriage might be appealing to others but until then, that's why we have the government to ensure equal rights through unions.

14. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It may have been a religious ceremony, but it can now been done outside of churches. People argue that marriage is a traditional religious ceremony that hasn't changed but it has changed quite a bit. The most noticable change being the introduction of divorce. Divorce was never originally possible in marriage, and religion would quite happily (and still try to) stop anybody getting a divorce. Another change is being allowed to get married again, and even get married in a place that isn't a church, or even allowing people who aren't religious to get married. The religious argument doesn't work for me as not all wedding ceremonies take places in a religious setting, and just because they "invented" it doesn't mean they get to have the ultimate say in it. Education in England was largely funded by religious charities centuries ago, but it doesn't mean that they get the say in it now. I also don't buy the argument people use about how it will change marriage, it won't. If people aren't gay then a gay marriage does not affect them in the slighest, and they can't say marriage hasn't changed when a large number of them go through one of the changes brought to marriage (and by that I mean divorce). We can respect those on the otherside, but it's a tad difficult to when they're screaming about how we're an abomination and are going to hell.
    Fair point, but is it really that simple? We can't really just go to a country and ask them not to kill gay people. It's difficult enough to get rights for us in places such as America and UK where gay people aren't killed and have a lot more freedom than other countries. Can you imagine how difficult it would be in a place such as Iran or Jamaica? It's great people will try and help those people, but people doing so are putting themselves at great risk. I don't think anybody needs to put themselves at such a risk when the best solution would be for the gay people there to emigrate. It's not an ideal solution, but it's the only way you can be sure that nobody gets hurt or murdered for it in the current circumstances. Hopefully one day the world will be accepting of it, but just because one place is worse than other countries doesn't mean we should accept the limited rights we have earned and go and fight somewhere else. There is always something to fight for, and sadly Iran is just far too dangerous for the majority of campaign activists right now. The gay people there need to find a way to get the hell out of there.

15. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  16. lcr guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    From the fact check site:

1, It's not a federal issue... it's a state issue.... state's have to decide (the people have to decide) that they want this. It's not something that can be forced.

2. If the federal government ensures that rights will be carried over between states where unions are legalized, and also grants the legal rights of straight couples on the federal level to gay couples as well, then that would be okay. That would represent legal rights and responsibilities for all, just in a different packaging.

3. "Terminology"..... anyone can use the words marriage husband or wife....

Victory at all costs? Do we really want to tear up the country over this when we can get the same secular legal rights without offending the religious. Obviously not everyone gets married in churches, or is even religious, but that doesn't negate the ones who are and those who do get married in churches.

17. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First of all, sure, any couple can call themselves husbands or wives, but until that status is legally recognized, it means nothing. It's not the title we're fighting for, it's the civil rights aspect, which brings me to...

Civil unions =/= marriage. Partners in civil unions do NOT get the "same secular legal rights" as married couples. Look back over that site, or ask Becky. They're close, but there are still many key rights that don't come packaged with the title of "civil union".

And lastly, I don't really care if I offend a few of the religious right. After fifteen years of being suppressed by them, and many more years for the people before me, their feelings are at the bottom of my list. I'm not going to dance around the issue, rather than attacking it, just because doing so might offend some people. Civil rights, basic humans rights that everyone should be entitled to, come before the feelings of these "pro-tradition, pro-family" asshats.

18. Endlessnight500

What about Gay people who are religious, and want to be married in a church? I know I do. I also noticed a comment you made about wemon not being able to be priests...We'll I have a cousin who is a Pastor at a church, and She preaches. She can marry people too, sure it may be alittle unorthidox, but it would still be recognized by the church and government.

A civil union and a marriage are different. You say some people wont be happy about gay being being able to be married in a traditional fashion, even if its an untraditional union of people. Alot of people fought against marriage between races too. And you know what, I wont be happy without having the right to marry whom so ever i please in the environment I see fit for the occasion, with equal legal rights of a marriage between a man and a women.

I am religious, and I respect marriage, and the Ideal of Love, and unity until death. Probly more so than the people fighting against us having the right. Because they obviousely dont understand that being married isnt about a man and a women being together, Its about two people who love eachother, committing there lives to one another. Not only to say they will be there in sickness and in health, but also to have the ability to be there in sickness and in health.

There is no shame between me and God, especially about my sexuality, which I did not choose, which is as much apart of how I was made as my skin color or the color of my eyes. Just becouse other people are insucure in there beliefs doesnt mean that I should be denied my God given right to Love and be Loved. When I marry someone I will have a service with a preacher, and my union will be recognized by the God I love and serve. I will fight for the right to have it recognized by the Government also.

19. Rubra et atra

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Beautifully written, Endlessnight.

I personally care the most about legal rights, had they been equal to those of a married husband and wife I don't think I would have felt as strongly about this as I do.
    I want the right to get married to the person I love, I would like to have this wedding in a church and I would like to enter this union by being united as one under the eyes of God.
    If I'm dying in the hospital I would want the one I love to be by my side.
    Had we only had the same rights I don't think I would care what they called it.

As a straight friend of mine just said: "should this even be a problem... I do believe marriage is for everyone, there are actually bad things out there that we should put on hold, not love"

20. MeskElil

I love that...it's so true...