1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Charlie Crist wins Florida Democratic Primary for Governor

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AwesomGaytheist, Aug 27, 2014.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With a handful of supporters waving "LGBT for Charlie Crist" signs at his election night party, former Florida Governor Charlie Crist gave his victory speech after an impressive 74%-26% primary victory over progressive Democrat Nan Rich, the former Senate Minority Leader.

Crist served as Florida's 44th Governor from January 2, 2007 until January 4, 2011 and was elected as a Republican, claiming he, in his own words, "A pro-family conservative who will promote policies that create a culture of life and defend the family. Charlie will support the constitutional amendment to prevent the undermining of marriage." As Florida's Attorney General from 2003-2007, he successfully defended Florida's mandatory parental notification law, which required minor girls seeking an abortion have their parents called before the procedure could be done, as well as the state's "partial birth abortion" ban.

Crist later said when asked of his previous opposition to gay marriage, "My previous support for Amendment 2 was politically motivated, and I'm sorry I did that. It was a mistake. I was wrong. Please forgive me." Crist opposed gay adoption in 2006, however in 2010, during his administration, when Florida's ban on gay adoption was struck down, he called it "a great day for children." Crist was endorsed by the NRA in 2006 and had received the NRA's "Defender of Freedom" award. In 2014, Crist supports a ban on assault weapons, magazine limits, and tougher background checks. Crist opposed the Affordable Care Act in 2009, and now says that incumbent Governor Rick Scott (R-FL) is responsible for the average of 6 deaths every day because he refuses to support the ACA's Medicaid expansion.

Crist spoke at the 2012 Democratic National Convention and endorsed Barack Obama and after the election, took out the papers to officially join the Florida Democratic Party. Not long after, he announced he was running to get his old job back. Crist is running almost entirely on Scott's unpopularity as both Scott's and his records as governor are less-than-stellar.

If Crist wins in November, he'll be the second Governor to serve one term as a Republican and another as a Democrat. The first was Mills Godwin Jr, who served as Governor of Virginia as a Democrat from 1966-1970, and as a Republican from 1974-1978.

2. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Feel bad for Florida voters.

Rick Scott is a weird looking prick, and Charlie Crist is the epitome of a "politician." He will do or say anything to win an election. Wouldn't trust him at all.

This race reminds me of the Virginia gubernatorial election in 2013 because voters are in a lose-lose situation.

3. Aldrick

Good. Charlie has a good shot at being Governor and beating Scott, and from the perspective of a liberal Democrat, he still has a lot to prove to earn his place within the party as a former Republican. This is especially true on LGBT issues. This will give us more influence over him, as he is always going to be at risk of looking like a Republican-in-Democratic clothing.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Which is precisely why some Democrats, myself included, think he's our own Mitt Romney. Others think Charlie Crist is the saving grace for the Florida Democratic Party, as they haven't won the governor's race since 1994. I have. A feeling that almost all of Crist's voters will be simply casting their vote as the lesser of the two evils, and a handful of voters like my grandma, who were fans of Charlie Crist back when he was a Republican.

Crist has been campaigning heavily on Rick Scott's $1.3 billion in cuts to schools. He's been riding all over Florida on a school bus with supporters holding signs saying "Reverse the cuts," as well as running ads with the hashtag, #ShadyRick. Meanwhile Rick Scott's campaign is running an ad that shows convicted swindler Scott Rothstein in a selfie with Crist. Rothstein lived an extravagant lifestyle funded by a $1.2 billion Ponzi scheme. Rothstein's purchases with stolen money included huge contributions to Crist's 2006 campaign. The ad closes saying, "Charlie Crist. For Governor, for sale."

The Miami Herald has concluded that Floridians haven't seen the worst of this election yet, it it will go down as "yet another food fight."

5. Aldrick

See here is the thing, I don't care about what Crist did in the past. The past is the past. I care about what he does in the future. As a result, I believe he will be a good candidate precisely because he has to prove himself to the Democratic Party. The old Charlie ain't gonna work for him. That's why he's flip flopping on so many issues.

I think you'll find that people who have to prove themselves to you are VASTLY more useful than those who already think they own your vote and support.

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not that I'm a huge fan of Charlie Crist, but if he can unseat the corrupt governor Rick Scott I'll back him 100%.

7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed. I'd take Christ over Rick Scott any day.

Scott is among the more divisive Republicans out there, and corrupt/mean-spirited as they come. Crist looks like an Angel by comparison.

8. Candace

Well, at least it's the lesser of two evils here. Rick Scott is just a joke and anything to get him out of there would be great.

9. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And that's exactly why he can't be trusted. Crist has no convictions or spine - just whatever is beneficial to him politically at the time.

There's changing positions on things (which is completely fine; everyone does it), and then there's blatant flip-flopping Charlie Crist style to try to win an election.

So I don't buy the last part of your post at all. He's going to do whatever he has to do to win a second term if he beats Scott. And no way in hell is he going to be a liberal Democrat as you want him to be in that state. Florida is a true swing state.

10. Aldrick

So are most other politicians who achieve major success. They just look less slimy, and hide it better. Crist unfortunately has "FAKE" written all over him by the way he talks, looks, and acts as part of his personality. It was the same problem Terry Mcauliffe had.

I have no doubt Hillary and Bill would do all the same things, and likely even worse, if it became between them and winning.

Most people hate that, but I admire a mercenary attitude. Those are the types of people more likely to be effective in politics, and I want to support someone who is going to get shit done.

Oh, I don't think he'll be a liberal Democrat. However, he will be far more liberal on a lot of things (such as social issues - which is good for us as LGBT people, and always my primary concern), because he needs to score points with his base. If you don't have your base you're in trouble. He's smart and knows that, and this is exactly why he's flip flopping so horribly.

Crist isn't going to do anything that's going to risk him losing his second term. However, he will be willing to do a lot of things that a normal Democratic Florida Governor might not consider under normal circumstances.

11. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope Crist does more for the environment. The place is in sad shape, some of the rivers are almost beyond hope, and then, you have those huge, toxic algal blooms.

Scott seems to invested with big business to care much about the lives of anyone else, plants, animals, all that.

12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After reading all of this, it seems to me you will have to choose the lesser of two weevils...

13. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly had some respect for Charlie Crist after his Senate run. He took so much shit for hugging President Obama that after he lost the Republican primary to Marco Rubio, he abandoned the GOP and served out the rest of his term as an independent and decided he'd just be a pain in the ass to the extreme GOP legislature. He vetoed anti-abortion legislation and a typical Republican anti-teacher bill that would have taken away tenure, reduced pay and benefits, and crushed the teachers' union.

14. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have no doubt Hillary and Bill would do all the same things, and likely even worse, if it became between them and winning.

Most people hate that, but I admire a mercenary attitude. Those are the types of people more likely to be effective in politics, and I want to support someone who is going to get shit done.
    [/QUOTE]

I disagree with this. After spending over a year working with and around politicians, I think many of them truly do care. Many of them aren't "slimy." Crist on the other hand...

Yes, and that could definitely hurt him in a very moderate state. And the last part is why anything that comes out of his mouth should be taken with a grain of salt. Not every politician is like Crist. In fact, most aren't as "slimy" to the extreme Crist is.

15. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think Rick Scott is A LOT more slimy. I mean, he's like an evil lizard, coated in corporate slime.

It's hard to get slimier, outside of say, Newt Gingrich, Chris Christie, or Scott Walker. You might get more stupid, say like Rick Perry, but not as slimy.