1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News NRA insensitive tweet after Arizona gun accident

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by RainDreamer, Aug 27, 2014.

1. RainDreamer

No Cookies | Herald Sun

Pro-gun or not, I think we can agree that NRA is not a very smart organization dealing with things like this.
    About the accident it self, I am worried about the girl. She was right next to the instructor, and it was her hands that accidently did it. It has to be extremely traumatic...

2. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What the hell is a nine-year old doing attempting to fire a weapon trained soldiers have trouble with? :eusa_doh::bang::eusa_doh::bang::icon_sad:

3. The Watcher

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My thoughts exactly. While her parents might have had good intentions in that they were teaching her gun safety, they definitely should have used a semi-automatic gun with a smaller caliber. In the end, the instructor deserves most of the blame. Semi-auto I can sort of see in that it allows more control but FULL-AUTO? Was he aiming to get a Darwin Award? (No pun intended.)

There's a reason full-auto guns are basically illegal to own in the U.S.

4. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The girl of course bears none of the responsibility, but it is she who will carry the scar of this, probably for a very long time. As for the NRA, when have they ever shown sensitivity about anything?

5. ouji

ouji Guest

Why in the world would any parent allow their 9 year old child to fire an Uzi of all weapons? I feel really bad for the girl who is going to have to live with this for the rest of her life knowing she accidentally killed a man. As for the NRA, I have never had nice things to say about them.

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why is a shooting instructor letting a 9 year old girl fire a gun that has killer recoil on it alone? And the NRA isn't really known for its sensitivity (e.g their responses to the Newtown and UC Santa Barbara shootings).

For clarity's sake by alone I mean her hands are the only ones on the gun when it is in automatic fire mode.

#6 BryanM, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  7. SeaSalt

The USA's lack of gun control baffles me.

8. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    See if the instructor had had heat of his own he'd have been able to return the fire see gun control just makes violent criminals able to commit crime. See?

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Now, I am a gun girl, but I fucking hate the NRA so much. Their sexist, homophobic stupid crap has been going on for ages, and they have had the worst responses to tragedies like this. The represent the gun community in a terrible way, and it embarrasses the compassionate...

I'm still trying to figure out how the instructor let her have the weapon. Did the instructor really think she had internalized the Four Rules?!?!

10. Candace

Um, and they that it's perfectly okay for a nine year old girl to use a deadly weapon that shoots pieces of metal into something?

Damn you NRA, guns are not supposed to be used "for fun", or at least in this case. They're used for protection and safety. Then someone else is going to come along, "have too much fun", since you clearly were the perpetrator in promoting such things, and shoot someone else to death. :dry:.

11. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Obviously fun requires the same types of weapons used for warfare. :rolle:

12. Hexagon

Idiots...

13. 741852963

I'm not against shooting as a hobby, but to let a nine year old fire an Uzi is beyond belief. I could understand a small pellet gun/air rifle maybe. But a sub-machine gun?! Now my sympathies go to the instructor's family, but this was certainly an avoidable death with a bit of common sense. This in a country that bans alcohol until age 21.

Poor girl too, lets hope she manages to get over that. Lets hope this just stands as a lesson to other parents to take care.

On the NRA thing, I'm not surprised.

14. ouji

ouji Guest

I'm with you on that one.

15. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just a counterpoint. It is apparently possible to give nine-year-olds a firearm and have them not shoot themselves, their parents or family members, or the instructor. Katelyn Francis should be 14 years old, I believe by now, and she's been shooting since nine. A semi-automatic is just as dangerous as an automatic platform. All you need is one shot with the muzzle pointed in an unsafe direction.

Granted, the difference here is that her dad had been drilling gun safety into her head for four years before that family ever let her touch a gun.

16. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

An uzi? While they're at it why don't they just teach her how to build nuclear weapons.

17. The Watcher

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gun control doesn't really have anything to do with this since a full-auto Uzi is illegal to own anyway and only be used in a range. It's illegal for children to fire guns without a parent or instructor with them. Unfortunately, her instructor was an idiot as well as her parents for allowing her to use a Uzi.

18. soniya

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Funny thing is the idea of me being dominant is more surprising than the realization I am gay. I'm a virgin, never even kissed or dated.

19. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    American gun control is literally mind boggling.

20. 741852963

I'm guessing she didn't start her first day on the range with an Uzi though.