1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News 1400 children raped in Rotherham

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by King, Aug 28, 2014.

1. King

I am surprised nobody has created a topic about this.

A 'conservative estimate' is that 1400 children have been raped in the town of Rotherham in Yorkshire between 1997-2013. It has been alleged that gangs mainly of Pakistani heritage targeted young victims who were in care and even poured petrol on them and threatened to set fire to them if they spoke about the abuse.

The authorities refused to act as they were worried about being branded as racist, and also due to members of the council and South Yorkshire Police covering up for people. Shaun Wright who is the Police and Crime Commissioner refuses to quit his job, despite him being in charge of child protective services at the time of the incidents.

This follows numerous scandals where high profile celebrities like Rolf Harris and Jimmy Saville had been discovered as paedophiles, and now gangs have been attacking girls in deprived Northern Towns.

Rotherham sex abuse scandal: 1,400 children exploited by Asian gangs while authorities turned a blind eye - Telegraph

2. Aldrick

Holy shit. That's their CONSERVATIVE estimate, meaning it could have been many more.

Those who were in official positions at the time need to do more than step down. They need to face criminal charges, and the entire leadership of the town needs to be put under investigation from top to bottom.

3. The problem here was to do with racism - of the fear of being seen as racist. The perpertraters were seemingly 2nd/3rd generation asian Pakistani men & the victims were white. The whole system in Rotherham was very very sensitive to accusations of racism/cultural stereotyping and as a consequence it was way too hard for anyone to speak up without getting branded a racist. The victims have been monumentally let down.

Reminds me of the saying; "All it takes for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing."

4. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a Pakistani girl and I really don't care if it's racist a pedophiles a pedophile they should've done their job at protection the kids .

5. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow I feel a little sick to my stomach and I started skimming after a while. I wish this was a nightmare I can't believe that happened. I do believe it but... Jesus Fucking Christ.

6. 741852963

Unfortunately its not the first time we've seen something like this, only two years ago there was a story of a large gang grooming women in Rochdale, Lancashire/Greater Manchester, and at the time it was mentioned several other gangs were under investigation.

As politically incorrect as it sounds these gangs are predominately Muslim British-Pakistani men. I think that is largely what causes these things to go on for so long and escalate to such levels, the police are terrified to act on suspicions save being fired for racism (I suppose its kind of the inverse of racial profiling you see in America). Perhaps this is what causes men from these groups to feel like they can get away with the crimes, a sense of invulnerability or being untouchable? That coupled with the often misogynistic traditions and beliefs found in more orthodox Islam and its a bit of a recipe for disaster.

7. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    seriously u think it's bc of islam? Are u crazy? There are pedophiles everywhere it's not bc of islam

8. 741852963

I think it may be a contributory factor, yes.

Of course there are pedophiles and rapists everywhere, however there appears to be a strong trend of the groups using these particular tactics (i.e. grroming and coercing young white women into sex and sexual slavery) being muslim British-Asian men. These attacks also do seem to be localised to Northern England, areas where the popuations of British-Asians are increased (i.e. the Bradford and Sheffield areas).

Now if we want to stop these terrible offenses we have to ask why these groups are targetting the girls. Are British-Asian men naturally predatory? No, I don't believe they are. So what is the cause? I think perhaps racial tension may be a contributory factor (the white/non-white areas in these communities are quite segregated), but you cannot help but wonder when you have a religion as a common theme, that is known in its stricter application to cause and promote oppression of women, that this may be a factor. Perhaps these men have misinterpreted Islam to believe they have the right to the woman's body, that they are more important, or that the uncovered, white non-muslim girls are shameful or sinful and so "deserve" it.

Its not a pleasant thought, but as a theory I don't think its too far-fetched. We already have severe homophobia in these areas and spread in the faith schools, would there not be some degree of intolerance of women alongside?

9. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    excuse me there are pedophiles in church who do not follow Christianity . Islam doesn't factor you need to separate the fake Hadith and the quran first heifer making a huge judgementAl view like that .

10. ccdd

ccdd Guest

This is disgusting.

Another huge factor not spoken up about so much is misogyny and rape culture within the establishment, social services and police force. What I mean by this is that these children were seen as sluts, as deserving it, and from the 'wrong kind of the tracks'. This meant that when they reported it no one believed them or thought they wanted it, deserved it, or were deliberately luring older men into it. Many were in foster care and children's homes, and seen as bad blood. There was an interview with one victim where she said when she reported it to the police, the reply was 'What did you expect'?

NO ON EXPECTED ANY BETTER FOR THEM. SO NO ONE ACTUALLY CARED.

I'd like to know how many people now condemning this would walk past a 14-year-old girl all dressed up talking to an older man and think 'slut'. Because if they do, they are a HYPOCRITE of the highest proportion.

This isn't just about race - it's also about misogyny and rape culture, and the manner in which teenage victims are seen as their own perpetrators and as using and abusing their own sexuality. No one seems to realise that if an 11 year old is sexualised, it's because s/he has probably been ABUSED and this has been NORMALISED for him or her. It is so disgusting.

And the fact that many of these kids were children's homes kids - well, no one gave a toss, basically. This is not just about race - it is about SO many things. It is a factor (as the report shows), but I really doubt that anything would be done to protect a 14-year-old children's home kid had her rapists been white either.

---------- Post added 29th Aug 2014 at 02:23 AM ----------

Furthermore, the majority of rapists and child abusers in the UK are white, in line with the majority ethnic make-up of the country. Concerns about racism was involved at the level of the police and social services not doing anything about it - but so was victim-blaming, misygony, and an element of classism.

At the level of the perpetrators, anything that makes people think the rules don't apply to them or that others - eg women - are their tools can lead to such a situation. One only has to look at the sexual abuse and cover-ups in the Catholic Church to see it is not just about Islam. And it is not just about religion: one only has to look at the Establishment in the UK and all that's now coming out about politicians and the BBC etc.

Basically, there are some institutions - whether religious or secular - which can cause people to think they are above the rules, and which, combined with the general misogyny and sexualisation of children in the UK, can create a toxic mix of abuse, exploitation, and turning a blind eye.

---------- Post added 29th Aug 2014 at 02:27 AM ----------

Also: I can't help but think that the authorities who didn't do anything about it (or, in one case, a policeman just raped someone who had complained) are using 'We were trying to be PC' as an excuse. I'm not doubting it was a factor, but by saying they were trying not to be racist, they're trying to turn their ineptitude into a 'good' thing, and not about the fact that they didn't care, and in some cases raped the children themselves.

11. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have nothing to add, this summed it up perfectly. It's easy to play the race card in reverse in situations like these. Excellent post! :eusa_clap

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dunno. The Catholic Church has done just as much, if not worse. I don't think it's wise to be pointing fingers based on 'Islam'.

13. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of good points have been made here, but I don't think it's necessarily about misogyny, the rape culture or Islam. People in powerful positions used their influence to shut people up, and used our batshit crazy libel laws in order to silence people or organisations from coming forward by threatening to sue. Libel laws were used against Newsnight to stop them from investigating the story.

It's been going on for decades - so many children of all genders have been raped, more so in the 80s, by people in powerful positions, whether they be entertainers or politicians. Do a little bit of research and you will see how disgusting the underbelly of British politics really was in the 80s with lots of child rape and even murder coverups. It's all coming out of the bag now. These people are not going to get away with it.

#13 imnotreallysure, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  14. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live fairly close to Rotherham and know a few people from the town. This will really hurt their community and they will feel badly betrayed. I hope adequate support is in place for all concerned. I'm not sure how you go about supporting 1400+ people, but this is the time for the powers that be to make amends for the hell they overlooked.