1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Parents Disown Teen, Internet To The Rescue

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Geek, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    After a YouTube video of a teen getting disowned went viral, the teen's gofundme campaign has raised over $19,000 in just over 12 hours.

[YOUTUBE]1df_i26wh-w[/YOUTUBE]

Living Expenses by Daniel Ashley Pierce - GoFundMe

And people wonder why people have a problem with religious people who dont actually read the bible and act like nothing in life matters except some book written thousands of years ago.

2. 741852963

Wow, its amazing people like this still exist. Hopefully the support of the internet will help this young man keep going.

And people on here deny queer is used as an offensive term in America. Hearing that word in the video, spoken with such hatred and disgust reminded me of my teenage years. Sent a shiver down my spine. Its why I want it dead and gone.

3. SeaSalt

Go Internet!

I dont know much about the bible or any religion for that matter however I was under the impression that Jesus died for our sins, He sacraficed himself so that all men might know heaven. Now the way I see it is that when people say that you are going to go to hell for something stupid such as being gay you are in fact saying that the son of God sacraficing himself wasnt enough. You are commiting blasphemy of the worst kind by your own standards. Im no expert however I dont think that when you go to heaven god is going to greet you with much kindness after you have spend your entire life shitting on his sons sacrafice.

Rob out!

4. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Wow, maybe the people on the internet are actually benevolent. Personally I've posted on this topic a lot, so I'll just give the summary. The entire New Testament is about God's love and mercy. Jesus himself condemned the Pharisees who acted hypocritically in the name of religion. It's true that a passage of the Bible states that being gay is wrong. That passage also says we deserve to be put to death. In my opinion the devil probably was involved in the writing of that passage. The Bible also condemns the refusal to sew tassels in to your clothing, the eating of shellfish, and states that should a woman touch testicles that are not her husband's, her hand is to be cut off. Until "religious" bigots are willing to cut a womans hand off in the name of God while wearing their clothing with tassels sewn in to them, they have no right to condemn us. In fact the Bible has passages telling you not to judge. Final point, Jesus said that the commandment to love your neighbor as you do yourself is tied for the greatest commandment. He never said "Unless your neighbor is gay, then you should act like a jerk."

5. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    are you fucking serious

are you fucking serious

6. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I found this video painful to watch, because of the classic self-reinforcing form of ignorance that woman was employing. 'Any argument contrary to my opinions is bullshit and my opinion is no opinion it is fact. You can't argue with FACT.'
    I felt so sorry for the kid.

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hope so too. This is a wonderful thing. Nobody should be homeless because of their gender identity or sexual orientation.

We don't deny the word is used or has been used as an offensive term. We simply disagree about the appropriateness of reclaiming it. Some people feel comfortable with the word and like to refer to ourselves that way, and some don't. In the end, it's about respecting the company we find outselves in. It's good to know who here has had negative experiences with the word to know who not to use it around. I want everyone to feel safe and welcome. A good friend of mine from here has a similarly visceral reaction to "homosexual," since it's such a clinical and dehumanizing sounding word to him. And his experience of it goes back to his teenage years too, hearing politicians demonize him and people like him, and that was always the word they used.

8. Given To Fly

Wow. That was difficult to listen to. I really hope this guy can make a fresh start. It's easy to say he's better off without them, but I know from bitter experience how hard it is to cut ties with your parents.

Good luck Daniel. (*hug*)

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Donated $10 to the guy. He needs to be safe and cared for.

10. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is disgusting and horrible, I cried watching this video and I hope with all my heart that Daniel is ok, he deserves better treatment than that and I hope his parents kill themselves and go straight to their God and see how much of a favour dispensing their son has done for them :angry:

11. Aldrick

I hope his parents are hit by a truck and die horribly. That way he can inherit all their shit.

That being said, holy shit at the money he's raised. It's over $30,000 right now in less than a day. I seriously hope he can manage that much money since he's so young.

12. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was under $25,000 literally a while ago - holy shit.

Wow. The world can be a really wonderful place.

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Right on! That's a high five. :slight_smile:

Ya, I had a worry about that before I donated. But I didn't want to make an excuse for myself not to help him. It's possible he could blow it, but I'd like to think he'd do something smart like move, find a better state to live in, (Sorry, I wouldn't recommend Montana either.) and go to college.

I would wager he's got enough publicity of this to be pretty much an auto-win on any LGBT scholarship anyway.

14. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love how all the comments are "I don't have a problem with gays, but do they have to talk gay? LOLOLOLOLOL HURR DURR".

Fucking internet, man :rolle:

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's at almost $35,000 right now.

The part I simply don't get is the hatred, anger, and physical violence perpetrated against this young man by people who claim to live by the Word of God. Where on earth do they get the idea it's OK to disown, devalue, and physically harm their own child? Certainly nowhere in the Bible.

What's encouraging is this will probably be over 100K before the Internet is through, and hopefully his ignorant and misguided parents and family members will think twice.

16. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

I don't want to watch the video because I am sad brains :C

17. Gen

Gen

I share all of the thoughts that have been posted above, so I am not overlooking the vast amount of positives that have come from this. While it is wonderful that this many people have put in the effort to help this individual, I see this situation as replicating a serious issue that is arising from the popularity of these financial campaigns.

Charity is something that needs to be carried out in way that is both economic and effective. Bill Gates could absolutely walk down the streets of a big city and drop millions of dollars on citizens struggling in poverty on a daily basis without hurting his finances that severely; however, simply tossing money at people can be very irresponsible and even detrimental when viewing the bigger picture.

Irresponsible because this campaign was set for $2,000 dollars which is certainly not a bad safety net for a young adult moving into a modest apartment. The amount that it is climbing to for someone who no doubt has very little experience in independent finances and living is a recipe for waste and loss in some form or another. Many people who begin these campaigns expecting to receive some help become very uncomfortable and stressed when they go viral. On the other side of things, we find those who use these instances as opportunities to milk social media for all they can in regards to both the funds and publicity.

Detrimental because we have a story such as this that will receive attention for the next couple of days, then fade into the background. A tragic story, absolutely, but a story that happens to millions of LGBTQ individuals on a literal daily basis. This single individual is being flooded with donations while those who were neglected, disowned, and abandoned at this very moment are left with nothing. I have no doubt that every participant in this situation has the best intentions, but I wish that those who were encouraged to donate and those who are doing the encouraging would have chosen, or continue to choose, to use this situation as a wake up call to those who aren't aware that this is an event that still plagues LGBTQ individuals on constant basis and divert the attention to genuine foundations that specialize in tending to this type of care so that the financial gain that this has sparked can be spread to the thousands of other souls who are deserving of it.

18. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gen, while I greatly appreciate your big picture outlook, and while I similarly appreciate where that position is coming from, I am not really understanding what your preferred alternative is.

In particular, I am unclear about what this is a wake up call for or what waking up looks like. LGBT youth suffer eviction, physical violence, murder, and ostracism all the time to the point that they kill themselves. Which we both know. It's not news. And I definitely don't mean to mention the litany as a way of lecturing. My point here is that we have had many other incidents that could have been wake up calls, but weren't. Every trans woman who gets murdered is a wake up call. One of my very best friends was nearly beaten to death at the high school I went to, because he's gay. That was a wake up call. But my town didn't pass a non-discrimination ordinance until some five years hence.

It be great if people donated to organizations that house and care for LGBT youth as they transition into university life or trade school. Assuredly. However, not all the people who donate money are Peter Singer. Some people are more random, spontaneous, and individualized. I don't think we should fault them necessarily.

I suppose it's not particularly sexy to donate to a foundation, but people should still do so. For my part, I donate to the local food share and to a sexual violence crisis center through payroll deduction. We don't have a foundation for homeless LGBT folks... :frowning2:

19. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really hope he files assault charges against those fucksticks for trying to attack him.

20. Ticklish Fish

ps. gofundme is the organization that allows people to fundraise for the officer who shot michael brown