1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie - Slap in face?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by brandonisi, Aug 29, 2014.

1. brandonisi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's the article.

Apparently, a lot of people in the gay community are upset that these two got married after stating previously that they "wouldn't until everyone could" (meaning, of course, same sex marriage).

I'm wondering what your thoughts on this are?

I personally think it is absurd to say they have "slapped" anyone in the face. They are friends to the LGBT community, not enemies. While I'm sure they had no intention of breaking their promise, their legal union benefits their MANY children, and for anyone to ask them to "wait" to tie the knot is selfish, regardless of the reason.

I live in a state where I can't get married to the person I've spent nearly a decade with, but i know it's coming here (Texas), just as it is in EVERY state in the US. It will be legal nationwide by late 2016 at the absolute latest. I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

2. Candace

I mean, I don't know what the point of them getting married was. However, I don't see what the big correlation there is between what they did and us as queer folk. Why is it up to us when they marry, even if we don't agree with it?

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't find it a slap in the face....

As the article said, "People aren't going to change their deeply entrenched views because someone they like to watch in movies tell them to."

4. brandonisi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I think the "point" was that they loved each other and it would make them and their children happy, very much in the same way many gay people want to get married.

I'm shocked at how many people in the "gay community" are upset by this. As I said, we've basically won the fight for marriage equality. All these appeals and lead-ups to the SCOTUS are essentially formalities.

5. Ridiculous

Yeah they made their point when they made that statement a few years ago; it made people think.
    It's been like 5 years since then and everyone has forgotten so I don't think it matters - it's not like we've lost any support by them getting married, and it's not like our opponents are going to use this as justification to keep fighting us.

I mean if they got married a week after saying they were going to wait until everyone could, then yeah it would be a slap in the face. But I don't see any problem with this.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone's an awful lot of people. Although I assume they meant in the US, that's still a while off. They don't have to put off a marriage they want, especially given how old the pledge they made is.

Jolie does enough work as a UN humanitarian representative; I think it'd be stupid to consider her a bad person because she didn't keep a token promise after everyone forgot about it, anyway. They haven't given up on us, they haven't betrayed us in any way. They're good friend of the queer community, and their symbolic support from 5 years ago isn't what matters when they've given support continually since before and I have no doubt will continue to do so.

7. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Brad and Angelina don't owe the gay community anything, so if they want to get married they should get married.

8. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

Actually it's great they got married!!!to of the sexiest people alive haha brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie!they do enough for the world :slight_smile: I think that they earned getting married :slight_smile:

9. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And isn't Angelina a supposed outspoken bisexual?

10. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Well shit they aren't gonna live forever, of course they should marry if they want to. I don't see why anyone should feel effected/offended by this.

11. Gen

Gen

Every statement isn't mean to be taken literally. Neither of them, nor us, will live to see a day where same-sex marriage is legalized for all LGBTQ. In the U.S., absolutely; however, the world does not revolve around America.

12. 741852963

Exactly, and there has been a hell of a lot of change in the last 5 years anyway. A third of US states now allow same sex marriage (plus DC obviously). Those states represent a combined population of around 132million so over a third of US citizens can now have a same sex marriage in their own state. We also have same sex marriage in the UK as of this year, so thats another 60million allowed to wed.

If Brangelina meant to wait until all US marriage states allowed same sex marriage they'd probably have to wait another 5-10 years, so up to 15 years waiting to get married in total - thats pretty damn hardcore! If they meant until every person in the world could, well, they'd be dead before that happened.

Now lets not forget Ms Jolie (or Mrs Pitt?) has just had a terrible time with a cancer scare - these things truly force you to put your life into perspective. I'm not surprised they want to get married now, its a great time to celebrate their good health.

13. Hexagon

I really don't care what celebrities get married.

14. SeaSalt

I think its sweet that they couldnt wait anymore.

15. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Celebrities are probably the worst role models for marriage, but couples who really seem to love each other like these are kind of different.

16. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With any luck they will be another Goldie Hahn and Kurt Russel only, like, better in every useful way.

17. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

I didn't even know they weren't already married. How much of an impact does this have on my life

18. One Man Army

Honestly, they can do what the hell they want. They haven't made any anti-LGBT statements by marrying each other, so as far as I see it, it's good for them and I hope their marriage succeeds.

19. RainDreamer

I kind of find it hypocritical to judge two consenting adults about their marriage just because they are of opposite sex and being a pair of celebrities. I mean, it is nice if there are more open LGBT celebrities to support our cause, but that doesn't mean we should disregard our allies even if they are having a heterosexual marriage.

20. scub

wonder how long before they divorce and she leaves him for another women? after all, it's no secret she is a lesbian (or was it bi)? at one point she was going to (or thinking about) marring another lesbian, who she supposedly still in love with.. wtf? btw, this is a person that was/is supposedly in love with her own brother to the point where they kiss each other in the mouth! how sick.. this may sounds a bit harsh, but i think Brad is a moron, and it makes him look rather foolish to "marry" this wacko. personally, i have nothing against her, she IS a good actor and i've seen plenty of her movies, i just find this whole thing bizarre.

#20 scub, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014