1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Joan Rivers Dead at 81 Years old

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Some Dude, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  2. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

3. Bane

Winnipeg, Canada (aka temporary paradise)
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh man, another loss. May she now rest in peace.

4. Candace

I was shocked indeed. She was funny, had a cool accent, and was one of a kind. We'll miss you and your humor, Joan :/.

5. Carlgustav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How long will late night TV hosts wait before they start with Joan jokes?

6. Ridiculous

Hopefully not long, I'm pretty sure she'd be disappointed if they didn't joke.

7. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

Omg I just died!!!!! :tears::tears::tears:

8. Stripe101

Man, Louis C.K. must feel like he's cursed. Two major celebrities who appeared on his show have died.

9. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Joan may be gone but like Michael Jacksons nose her face will live forever

10. tulipinacup

I honestly can't say that I'm saddened by it but I think this is someone who took most of her time insulting celebrities.

[​IMG]

11. photoguy93

Comedy means that we laugh. Joan said some really boisterous things, which could be seen as insults. I guess you have no "Joan" sense of humor, which is okay - some people don't. I just think it's really distasteful of people to keep posting stuff like this. She just died! It ruins the mourning for people who actually liked what she did. Please, for the future, consider it.

#11 photoguy93, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Could be seen as insults?

She lived off deriding others, yet it's distasteful to remind others that she did this to others? People are pointing out that she did far worse than pointing out legitimate flaws, and you find that worse than the fact that she was really a rather horrible person. Do you understand why that sounds both ridiculous and hypocritical?

I'm not going to miss her.

#12 Aussie792, Sep 4, 2014
  13. photoguy93

Okay, here we go again. I posted this whole reply, but deleted it because my blood was boiling.

I have always liked Joan. I consider these folks like friends. It's like I'm seeing insults about a loved one. What she said was rude to some, I'm sure. However, it's comedy. Anything is possible - ANYTHING.

I choose to spend my time worrying about animal abusers, murderers, etc. That's bad. Maybe your culture views insults differently, but hey - there's way more crappy things going on In the US.

I guess we will disagree on this.

#13 photoguy93, Sep 4, 2014
  14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I sincerely hope you're trolling me.

15. photoguy93

That's your response?

Are you fucking kidding me?

I literally blew up, deleted it because I'm too nice, and typed something out to try and cool things down, and that's what you said?

Gosh.... This is one of the many reasons I'm so over this site. I'm tired of sharing my views and literally feeling like I'm going to get torn down like a rainforest.

16. Stripe101

[​IMG]

17. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps if you wrote something meaningful and engaged in what others are saying, you might feel a little less under attack. I responded to the (rather ridiculous) original post you made before you edited it. Don't play the nice guy when you insulted me personally and had a little tantrum over a disagreement, then cry about being under attack.

If we hold different values on how comedy should be limited, then you need to actually engage with that if you don't want others to disagree with you harshly. I don't believe you can just brush of extremely offensive comments such as her response to Amy Winehouse's death and her comments on Adele's body. Those comments were both uncalled for and horrendously insulting, as well as her rather sickening attitude to deaths in Palestine earlier this year. And that's not nearly a full record of the lines she's crossed.

Being offensive doesn't become alright because you slap the label of comedy on it. A lot of people don't find it remotely funny, and hiding behind the pretence that comedians don't mean what they say isn't a great argument.

If people want to point out that she behaved in an appalling manner to others, that should be perfectly fine. I'm not saying that you can't miss her humour, but I'm saying that it's unacceptable to pretend she was an angel who can't be criticised. It's extremely hypocritical to say that it was acceptable for her to engage in insulting, callous, and harmful behaviours, yet claim that it's unacceptable to point out that she wasn't a good person in many regards.

#17 Aussie792, Sep 4, 2014
  18. photoguy93

Obviously you haven't read my past posts, because I cared a great deal about what people said. It's quite difficult anymore, because either stuff isn't as meaningful or the posts aren't of my interest level or of things I don't understand.

Again with the insult thing - I think of insults as, say, calling you ugly or saying you're a worthless pig. Heck, at this point, I should have just called you a rude little shit because I would have gotten some anger out and it would have had the same effect.
    (Okay everyone, know that was never going to happen. I'm kidding, okay?)

Here's the thing - some of the things she said were crazy out there. To you, they obviously were rude. That's sad, because she was funny.

Why the hell are we even arguing over this? What are we even arguing about? Can we just move along and stop this stupid pissing contest?

19. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This makes me sad whose gonna tell jokes now, Now I can never look forward to fashion police again :icon_sad:

20. Stripe101