1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News A Rising Number of Homeless Gay Teens Are Being Cast Out by Religious Families

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by FortunateSally, Sep 6, 2014.

1. FortunateSally

"Siciliano also understands that the kids he works with don't sync up with to the message everyone wants to hear: It gets better. "There is a psychological reality that when you're an oppressed group whose very existence is under attack, you need to create this narrative about how great it is to be what you are," he says. "It's like, 'Leave the repression and the fear behind and be embraced by this accepting community, and suddenly everyone is beautiful and has good bodies and great sex and beautiful furniture, and rah-rah-rah.' And, from day one of the Stonewall Riots, homeless kids were not what people wanted to see. No one wanted to see young people coming out and being cast into destitution. It didn't fit the narrative."

Page 2 of Homeless Gay Teens Cast Out by Religious Families | Rolling Stone

2. wolf of fire

1 Timothy 5:8 "But those won't care for their relatives, especially those in their own household have denied the truth faith. Such people are worse than unbelievers." People really do choose which bits of the Bible they follow. (Source biblehub.com/1-Timothy/5-8.htm)

#2 wolf of fire, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :icon_sad:

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Unfortunately, there are always two sides to a coin. In this case, increased visibility also means increased discrimination, rejection, etc. Does it get better for everyone? I'm sure there are kids who are shutting themselves even more tightly in their closets, not to arouse suspicion from others, in less fortunate circumstances.

I would like more attention paid to LGBT issues like homelessness, employment, health, drug use; so much attention is going towards marriage, when there are issues on all sides still being fought.

And religious gay people definitely have my sympathy.

5. Courtanissia

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    No where in the bible does it directly state that it's 'bad' or 'evil' to be gay. When people quote the bible as proof of God hating gays, lesbians etc, they always quote about God telling this man and his wife not to look back at their old city, because it was filled with sodomy - but if you read the entire passage and even the chapter, God tells the people to not have bad morals and to follow the Commandments. The passages talk directly about rape and prostitution, which was supposedly rife within the city. What the bible does say directly hundreds of times over the course of the book (not that I could ever be so bored as to read the bible lol) is for everyone to love each other, forgive each others sins and to only judge others if you yourself have never committed any sin.

People say to be a Christian, Catholic etc, you must live by the 10 Commandments

So I don't know where these extremely 'religious' people get their ideas from, and yes I have that quoted because not one member of these 'religious' families that throw a child out onto the streets are in any way following their religion - in fact they're going completely against what they've been told in the bible, or any other religious book for that matter.

Don't get me wrong, not every family is the same - I happen to live in a very religious family and not one of them hesitate to try to educate others about what the bible really says - my brother nearly got suspended and nearly expelled from his Catholic school for getting into an extremely heated argument about it lol.

6. Sitri

I wonder if that's what happened to him.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree. Marriage is the tip of the iceberg. Physical and mental health, alcohol and substance abuse, discrimination, glass ceilings, and homelessness ARE the iceberg.

I could definitely see this in religious families. I think that strict fundamentalist Christian and LDS folks would head the list, percentage wise, in the U.S. for tossing out and marginalizing their LGBT kids. Without a support system, it makes their prognosis going forward rockier.

8. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Happens a lot in my country. Most openly gay people here live on the streets.

9. Candace

I'm so sorry to hear this :frowning2:. Luckily, they're opening a gay teen shelter here in my city really soon :slight_smile:.

10. Aldrick

"Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever." - 1 Timothy 5:8

Congratulations, Bible bigots. You're officially worse than me according to your own magic book, and I'm an evil atheist. Tsk.

Parents like this deserve to be sterilized by force. If you are going to abandon your children, you don't deserve to have any more.

We need to advocate for laws that make it easier for LGBT Teens to seek emancipation from their families, while at the same time forcing those families to pay child support to LGBT Organizations. That way LGBT Teens can leave unsupportive homes, find shelter at LGBT supportive centers, and these bigots will be forced to pay to support them.

11. wolf of fire

Aldrick where did you get your quote from? I mean which Bible version, I got mine from the New Living Translation.

12. Aldrick

The NIV (New International Version). I linked directly to it in my post.

13. wolf of fire

14. lukeluvznicki13

Amen

15. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Really a very good article!

16. Desiree val

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Its not smart to come out Do to my grandad

17. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is why I haven't fully come out , my mom figured it out a bit but I'm glad she doesn't think it's real . I feel so bad I can't be strong but I 'll end up on the streets if my mom finds out or worse she'll punish me for it .

18. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's making me sick, but sadly it's no different here in Norway. A Christian guy from the Bible Belt actually got semi-famous when he told the media about his story. Basically he came from a religious home and his parents disowned him from being gay. He even wrote a book about his experience.

Trust me when I say Norway is very, very, very conservative and Christian. Only the major cities are somewhat gay friendly. The bible belt (southern/western) Norway is extremely homophobic, insular and bigoted.

19. I read this article yesterday, I had to stop myself for a while in the middle of reading because I just wanted to cry... I also felt sick that all of that was happening and my church was rejoicing over the gay marriage ban being ruled constitutional yesterday.. Like, this is why I get so upset with religion when it comes to things like this. My church is just adding to the hate and I really don't want to go over there any more... But hopefully, one day, all this will stop, no one should have to go through that just because of who they love - It's just so stupid...