1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Today's installment of stupid laws from around the country

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by RainbowMan, Sep 11, 2014.

1. RainbowMan

First up, we have a law from NYC, where I live now, which would require performers who dress up in costumes to obtain a license.

Does NYC's Proposed Costume Law Go Too Far?: Gothamist

What this bill is a reaction to is the Buzz Lightyears, Spidermen, Elmos, and all other manner of characters in Times Square that pose for a picture for you, and then expect you to pay them. These people are, by all accounts, exceedingly annoying. They get in the way of people who have nothing to do but get to their jobs, and other people that for whatever reason have no interest in them. They become overly aggressive with tourists that pose for a picture with them and then don't pay up, and they're not authorized by anybody.

This bill would require them to get a license, at the cost of $175, and be subject to fines and revocation of the license for non-compliance with the law. In theory, this is a good thing. However, the legislation is written so broadly that you can't be outside in your Halloween costume unless you've purchased a license, or so it would seem (and in bad years, the revenue hungry NYPD could interpret it just that way....you never know)

Moving across the country to Missouri, where I'm from, there is now a law (which was passed overriding the governor's veto) that requires a 72-hour waiting period, along with mandatory counseling which is designed to get you to change your mind, in order to get an abortion from the one remaining abortion clinic in the state.

Missouri lawmakers pass 72-hour abortion waiting period, override gov's veto | Fox News

To me, this just seems ludicrous - making abortions harder to get doesn't result in less of them, it just results in them being done in less safe manners. I'm very much pro-choice, it is a women's body, she should be able to do with it what she wants.

This concludes today's episode of stupidity :slight_smile:

2. Ryujin

Is this daily? We need our own "Mock the Week" .
    I'll be Hugh Dennis, you can be Dara O'Brien and Kaiser can be Andy Parsons. We need an insane person to be Russel Howard for the occasional episode as well.

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's sickening to see Governor Nixon's veto overridden. This bill also has NO EXCEPTIONS for rape and incest, making it an even more horrid bill.

4. Hexagon

The first bill: watch me roll around in mirth at such a ridiculous idea.
    The second bill: assholes. They have no right.

5. wolf of fire

I can see where they are coming from but all of this seems a bit extreme.Goldenarrow can I be Russell Howard for your Mock the week?

6. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, at least religion wasn't involved in this instalment. It's good to see that secular authorities can also get a bit fundamentalist as well.

*Sesame Street end theme playing in background*: "today's episode was brought to you by the letters P, E, D, A, N, T, I and C."

7. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Dibs on Frankie Boyle

I don't think you can get more stupid than that abortion bill. I don't understand their line of thinking at all.

8. Eric

A 72 hour waiting period for abortion is brilliant. I think we should even extend it to all medical procedures, especially emergency procedures (which abortions can sometimes be), just to show the world how intellectually superior Missouri lawmakers truly are. Top notch, gang. Really outstanding work today. You should be so proud.

9. Nathan N

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not cool

10. Ryujin

Yeah, you can be Russel Howard. Who are the other regulars? I can't remember their names :frowning2: