1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Former first minister and DUP leader Ian Paisley has died

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Beware Of You, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

2. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Me neither. Thankfully the world has one bigot less now that this hate spreading individual has done us all a favour and died.

3. King

I don't like the man or any of his beliefs, but he did contribute towards peace in Ireland in his later years, but its a shame he could not have worked towards peace earlier on in his career.

4. AlezinwondRland

I'm from Northern Ireland - and I will be celebrating tonight indeed. Good riddance

---------- Post added 12th Sep 2014 at 06:00 PM ----------

Fingers crossed that the Health Ministers next. Stopping the gay marriage bill being passed here and wasting thousands of tax payers money (including my own) in an attempt to stop same sex couples from adopting (yet being laughed at while his proposal is dismissed by the Supreme Court in London)
    He is also from the DUP! No surprise there.
    Equality for LGBT in Northern Ireland seems hopeless when these creationalist, biggotted idiots remain in a position of power.

#4 AlezinwondRland, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Many people are paying tribute to Ian Paisley's contribution to the Northern Ireland peace process, but I'm rather more cynical. Dr Paisley waited until his Democratic Unionist Party had vanquished the Ulster Unionists, before taking the necessary steps towards peace and then assuming for himself the position of First Minister of Northern Ireland.

Ian Paisley wasn't a "blessed peacemaker", rather he was a calculating politician who held out for power while many people from both communities in Northern Ireland continued to suffer violent, sectarian deaths.

6. LiquidSwords

Anyone with a basic grasp of what happened in the troubles would understand Ian Paisley to have always been at the rearguard of the peace process and would certainly not praise him for his role. That's like cheering Theresa May for voting for gay marriage only when the writing is on the wall after she's been a lifelong homophobe

He was a poisonous man and so is his son hopefully he fucks off asap too

7. Beware Of You

Yup I am moving to Belfast eventually and the DUP are somehow related to all the flag trouble and the OO, I mean they are linked to a lot of shady groups.

Hell if I had a choice I would vote Sinn Fein over the DUP and I am English! Thankfully I can just cop out and vote Alliance

8. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not a great loss, but I felt happier when Thatcher died. Paisley was a clown, but Thatcher was insane.

9. AlezinwondRland

^ Word of advice from someone already living here... don't vote. Most will say "well nothing will change if those against sectarian parties don't vote" - the politics here are corrupt. Unionist or Nationalist parties will always win and until the generations who give a sh*t dissolve - it will remain this way. Each new generation here is giving hope and thinking realistically and for the best interest of those living here - but I know for a fact it will take decades to change the system here and eradicate hate/competition/blame.

However, when you do move here, you'll notice that the people who aren't in government are accepting and down to earth and embracing change. Because it's needed!! :slight_smile: goodluck moving btw, you will like Belfast. Don't let the few idiots in power put you off because believe me they are a minority.

As for anyone who is able to say that Ian Paisley Senior contributed towards the "peace process" - you are clearly not from Northern Ireland. The people themselves have contributed most, followed by probably every other party except his. Good riddance dude.

10. King

After reading more about this man I dislike him more and more, as said above he only contributed to the peace process when his party had become the largest.

I don't think its fair to compare Thatcher to someone who was suspiciously close to sectarian violence.