1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News HIV+ man ordered to stop spreading virus

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by resu, Sep 15, 2014.

1. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    BBC News - HIV-positive man ordered to stop virus by Seattle court

There should be a special ring in hell, if you believe in hell, for those who willfully expose others to permanent diseases. This is the modern Typhoid Mary.

2. Candace

That's awful!! :bang:

3. Incognito10

Agreed. The purpose is not to shame, but disclosure of a known positive status is the only ethical avenue, which I am sure his counseling (x5 per the the article) addressed.

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Eight people in just four years?! How horrible :frowning2:

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like that's going to be effective.

I get that people like this are really broken, hurting, and because of the stigma of HIV, face constant rejection and shame. At the same time they have to take responsibility for their unwillingness to consistently practice safer sex. This isn't like an addiction where there are genetic and brain chemistry factors associated with drug use; it is a conscious decision to take a completely unnecessary risk. (One of the reasons I am so unyielding on that point.)

In California, knowingly infecting (or attempting to infect) someone with HIV is a felony. While locking up someone who does this isn't going to solve the problem, perhaps mandatory 6 months inpatient at some sort of intensive therapy center would actually have a chance of solving the problem. Simply telling the guy to stop it and get help probably won't do much.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What a horrible person:tantrum:

7. AAASAS

I thought you got jail time for doing that? At least in Canada you do.

I think people should get life in prison for spreading it, that way you know they aren't going to do it again.

A lot of people who are infected get upset and decide to spread it because they were a victim of someone with the same mindset.

People here get charged for not disclosing even if it isn't spread, some guy that was undergoing treatment for it got charged with aggravated sexual assault for not telling his partners he was positive even though he used a condom and they never got the disease. That to me, is justice.

#7 AAASAS, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  8. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HIV positive person should retain the right to have consensual sex, provided that they inform the other person and take reasonable measures to keep the other person safe. However, you have to choose to be wreckless to infect 8 people in 4 years, and being that wreckless merits jail time.