1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Australian police arrest Islamic State members planning public decapitation

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aussie792, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Live blog: Senior Australian in Islamic State 'ordered kidnappings and beheadings in Sydney and Brisbane' - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

This is rather horrifying, and it's rather scary to think that the intended victims were to be literally randomly selected. The government announced an increase to Australia's terror threat last week. I wasn't expecting something so major to be discovered so soon, though they obviously had a strong reason to declare a more dangerous situation.

Let's hope that this ends with a trial and not a murder, should any have evaded the police.

2. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It may be horrifying, but it's to be expected. It's happened before in the UK to Lee Rigby when we weren't on the edge of an open war. Let alone now.

3. Blossom85

Feeling a lot more vulnerable after hearing about all of this.. I am wondering if this has anything to do with the recent evacuation of 4 Sydney hospitals this week as well. It's scary and really horrifying to think about.

4. SeaSalt

Congrats to the aussies for dealing with the threat. I wouldnt want another Lee Rigby.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Security around where I live and my school has been a little higher over the past month or two. I do think we're all somewhat vulnerable in the cities, but let's hope the secret service and police can do their job well.

My brother lives in Sydney now, and it really disturbs me to think that he could have been a victim of their intended attack.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow. I have no idea what caused that... :frowning2:

7. Candace

Good job, Aussies! That seems like a real threat and scary :eek:

8. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A bunch of psychos

9. Ridiculous

Is there any evidence of police indiscriminately raiding homes with Muslim residents or is this just tumblr being alarmist twats again, because I've seen no actual report of this.

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't seen any Tumblr activity on it, but as far as I know, the police have released people after charging others (it's on the live ABC blog I linked in the original post). From what it sounds like, I think they've arrested people connected to the plot, but not actively members of it, and the people you're talking about are exaggerating that to say that it was indiscriminate anti-Muslim raids.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sure they'll get jail time if convicted, and lengthy sentences at that.

In terms of the death penalty, Australia does NOT have it ... am I correct? I would assume the same of New Zealand. I am almost sure Canada does not have it. It seems like we're the only major country which was an Anglo founded colony, or collection of them, that has the death penalty though, of course, that varies by state.

When 9/11 occurred, it was startling to see the positions and the quality of life enjoyed by some of the experts aiding the perpetrators. I guess they still felt marginalized and were fanatically anti-U.S., despite how well they may have been doing. Whether this or 9/11, you're dealing with a bunch of hateful ingrates and cowards. I will add that, while they may be of a specific religious group, we can't paint with a broad brush since many Muslims are grateful to be living in first world countries.