1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Eric Holder Resigning

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AwesomGaytheist, Sep 25, 2014.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eric Holder, the current US Attorney General, has announced today that he's resigning effective as soon as his successor is confirmed by the Senate. Eric Holder is one of the longest-serving Attorneys General in US history, and was well-known for fighting against state-level anti-immigration laws, his refusal to defend DOMA, and his work for civil rights.

2. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

Yerp, had a discussion about this in my government lecture . He's also one of the most unpopular attys general in U S history.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sad to see him go. The right hates him for the same reason they hate Obama and we can all guess what that is. I think he's done a great job, and I gave tremendous respect for him in his handling of the Ferguson incident and defending the Voting Rights Act.

On a side note, my iPod's spell checker decided to go nuclear on me while I was typing the title.

4. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

Well, I am also a supporter of the regime ( it's called that where I'm from ) but mistakes have been made . You're correct that due to race , their mistakes are held to a different standard . I have never voted so....I will this election in November but again , where I'm registered , it counts little unless you're a reg reprobate , sry , spell ck issue , republican .

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sad to see him go, but maybe we can see Obama nominate a true progressive for the new opening.

Fun fact: Eric Holder was the fourth longest serving Attorney General in American History.

6. DMark69

I am offended by state that I only dislike the president, the attorney general or anyone else for that matter because of race. That is actually a really racist point of view thinking I cannot dislike someone because of politics.

Tell me did you dislike Condalisa Rice because of her Race? How about Allen Keyes, did you not like him because of his race? I didn't think so.

7. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well for one, note that I did not say "disagree with," I said, "hate." However on that point, racism is almost an exclusively right-wing trait, based on how the far right reacted to President Obama's election and re-election and the way they started winning in the South on 1980. Eric Holder was subjected to the exact same amount of burning hatred and disrespect as the President was. Not to mention that nowadays in right-wing land, fighting racism as Holder did a great job on in my opinion, is now considered racism.

Now when I see on Twitter that a conservative page has captioned a photo of Ronald Reagan standing next to a chimpanzee in one of his movies as "A rare photo of Reagan babysitting Barack Obama circa 1962," what am I supposed to think that means?

I call a spade a spade. That being said, it's ridiculous to say that the party whose base includes millions of people who call the President racial slurs is not a party full of racists. Now the right has been saying this since day one: "Stop calling us racists even though we call the President (a word I won't mention)" It's the reason I switched from an independent to the Democratic Party is because I cannot and will not vote for a party with members that are so open and vocal about that kind of hate (Tea Party)

So that being said, you just called me a racist because I made a statement of fact about a party that panders mainly to Southern white racism/prejudice to win elections, and runs on an economic policy that is specifically designed to hurt blacks economically. Don't believe me? Watch the Lee Atwater interview from 1981 and read about Nixon's Southern Strategy. I'm not mad and I'm not going to call you names, and nor am I as liberal as I may come across as. But let me get this straight. I'm a racist because I used the word "racist" to describe a large number of people who are racially prejudiced? Sorry, but no.