1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Hong Kong stand-off. Will China react?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by PatrickUK, Sep 29, 2014.

1. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes, soon and violently.

Chinese government has a very low tolerance for dissent and it's not like the rest of the world will do much more than wag their fingers if it did turn violent.

3. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel sorry for the people of Hong Kong - this will probably end violently a la Tienanmen and the most condemnation we will see will be in the form of finger-wagging as nobody wants to piss off China.

One of the few instances where most people would probably support reinstating the rule of a former colonial power - and I don't blame them. It isn't like they ever had a say in what happened - they were just handed over.

I've been watching Hong Kong bubble for some time. This is only the start, from what I've seen/heard.

As someone that's spent a lot of time travelling in what are former British colonies and protectorates, it takes a special kind of grievance for people to hold their colonial era and its symbols in high regard:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    July 1 protest, Hong Kong by jerome taylor, on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    IMG_0726 by Alan Yeh Photography, on Flickr

[​IMG]

#3 imnotreallysure, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  4. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, China has no qualms about putting down protests as quickly as the situation calls for. I see they're already airbrushing the protests from existence on the mainland news, and I don't expect it'll be long before the tanks roll in either. I'm thinking they might make a few token concessions, but Xi Jinping doesn't seem to have taken a conciliatory line so far; it's probable he doesn't want to back down.

5. Candace

China will most likely react in a brutal manner. I mean, Tianamen Square 1989? History can repeat itself.

6. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Doesn't surprise me at all that China is censoring news of the protests and the crackdown in their media.

Hong Kong is "autonomous", but still under the control of China; even though the protesters aren't revolutionaries, there is a chance that this might turn into an attempt to separate Hong Kong from China further, possibly to the point of becoming an independent nation.

We all how China reacts to anti-Communist protesters...it's tear gas now, but we'll see. Let's hope they've learned a lesson from Tiananmen.

7. Aquilo

Ummm.. What was the lesson from Tiananmen? Nip protests violently in the bud or your government will be toppled like the Soviet Union?

I hope won't be a second Tiananmen, but stability and order are the two most important things for the Chinese government. :icon_sad:

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

What are they China start?

Dear Lord, I'm terrible...

To get serious for a moment. I see people pointing to the Tienanmen Square incidents, which is understandable, but most people in China don't even know, let alone care, about that. The ones who do, are either outside of the country, or too afraid to speak publicly about it. As much as I'm against oppression, I have to hand it to China, they know how to totally stamp out information.

As for Hong Kong. I suspect if China did do something, they'd get a finger wag, maybe some threats of embargoes, and that'd be that. Like Russia, they'd be tolerated. But what do you expect? The West has China producing/making so many things, it'd be economic suicide to them, to challenge China heavily. Until the world stops thinking of cheap ways to manufacture products for profit, it would appear 'toleration' is the word of the day.

My more chaotic impulses would like to see, what would happen if we actually cracked down on China, but my more rational thoughts tell me, that isn't a practical, let alone a safe way. Call it morbid curiosity, but I'd like to see what would happen, if the West quit targeting smaller, weaker nations to attack, and focused on the big dogs, the ones who fund and generate these injustices.

9. Tardis2020

1 year later...
    Breaking News: Hong Kong is now a part of China

Really its unlikely anything will come out of this. The pro-Beijing people will be put in power one way or another and soon Hong Kong will pretty much be China Jr. Eventually, there will be some type of major conflict between the Eastern Asian and Southeast Asian countries against each other and China, assuming China continues what its doing. Maybe something will happen after that.

10. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

What I like about the Protesters is they cleaned up the mess they made the morning after.

11. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aaaand they used tear gas against the protesters. Anybody read about that in the news yet?

12. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

Yeah, its on Facebook. You can read all the news there, but you will need a translator :slight_smile:

13. I feel bad for the people of Hong Kong. It's pretty unfortunate that they had to be returned to an oppressive country.