1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Hobby Lobby wants to know what is in your pants before you use the bathroom...

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Sep 29, 2014.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More here

2. King

That must be very embarrassing for her, and it seems weird to provide documents to use the toilet.

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Family values", right Hobby Lobby?

4. ChameleonSoul

Does anyone know if its legal to do this in Illinois? Doesn't this goes against discrimination laws that are in place. I've never lived in or even been to Illinois, so I'm not that familiar with the laws in the state.

5. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still refuse to go in that place.

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't even know what hobby lobby is. Nor do care to find out now.

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, Hobby Lobby...I thought you would buy me dinner first before you wanted to know. How rude.

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is what you get, when you vote for Republicans. A bunch of bigots hiding under the cloak of 'religious freedom'.

9. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, why should they give a shit what genitalia she has? She's a woman and they really need to respect that. Penis or not.

10. Candace

Thanks for reminding why I never bother to go there. Why does it matter to them? Stupid backwards company -_-

If she wants to use the bathroom, penis or not, then that's her right!! Are they going to do that for everyone who goes in there now? Weird...

11. edgy

edgy Guest

It is a private company

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So. Private companies don't have the right to discriminate on the basis of color or any number of other grounds, so why on this? A business can't simply refuse to serve or hire Jews, for instance. I don't see this as so far removed.

13. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Another reason for me to hate Hobby Lobby. Treating her like that is unethical, and trying to find 'proof' of what her genitalia looks like is seriously ridiculous!!!

14. Oddish

Oddish Guest

jesus fucking christ

She's female, legally, through SS and on her DL, yet that's not enough to say she has the right to use the appropriate bathroom? Gee, yeah, all of us trans folks are going through the hell known as the judicial system and spending $$$ and actively facing discrimination just so we can use certain bathrooms to commit sexual crimes (rape, voyeurism), which seems to be 'justified' by having certain genitalia.

Hobby Lobby now knows our uber secret interior motive. Fuck.

15. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That doesn't matter when the state and federal governments both say that you don't need gender reassignment surgery to legally change genders. Hobby Lobby is breaking federal and state law by doing that.

16. Blossom85

That is just so disgusting of that company.. Wether they are a public/government or private organization, it does not give someone the right to treat others this way. I feel for her because it would be embarrassing and stressful for her to have to go to the men's room when she is a woman. If other areas can accept her change of details with out documentation as proof, then I think this company should be showing more respect and allowing her to go to the ladies room where she so rightly deserves to go.

17. Incognito10

They already recognized her as a woman and she is well into transition. Bottom line, if a company wants to discuss an employees genitals, it should be "sexual harassment." You just don't do that.

And on another level, if she is a woman and presents herself as such, wouldn't it draw more attention to send her into the men's room? Sounds like the company needs to follow logic here.

#17 Incognito10, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  18. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Seriously Hobby Lobby - f#@$ you! I haven't spent money there in 8 years, and I never will again.

#18 Starfleet, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  19. ewacebula

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    WOW! That's rude and unlawful. They are also the ones that do not cover birth control through their insurance because it is not christian to have that or something.

In a women's bathroom there are stalls, with doors, so it's not like some other lady is gonna walk in and see that she has a penis while shes taking care of business. This is just dumb of them. I would probably be looking for a different job, also getting HR and possibly a lawyer involved.

20. SomeNights

I'm not 100% on them either as I'm not an attorney of any kind. (this is my disclaimer). However I can try and comment on what I do know.

Not true and not all Republicans have this set of beliefs

Because the groups of people you listed are Protected Classes under federal law.(see the next blurb below) Someday I'd like to see sexual orientation and gender identity end up on that list.

No, this is not true at all for federal law. There is no federal protection that I'm aware of for Trans people. The only protected classes are for race, color, religion, National Origin, age(over 40), sex, pregnancy, citizenship, familial status(meaning having kids), Disability, Veterans and Genetic Information. It's just something that hasn't made it's way though the legal system yet.

However with that being said while Hobby lobby may not be violating discrimination law, they may be violating labor law and labor code enforcement subject to OSHA. In which a suitable place to go to the restroom must be provided by the employer. Depending on the state laws by her entering a men's restroom as a legal female, may be forcing her to violate state law which in turn means that hobby lobby is violating the "suitable" restroom part of the labor law.

Granted an OSHA violation carries a lot less of a penalty than a discrimination lawsuit, I'd still call it a victory. Sadly the company, if found in a what's called a "known violation" which is the most serious and carries the highest penalty would still just receive a fine with no benefit to the employee.

Public/Government organizations are just more aware of the laws and possible inflictions which is why you almost always see these types of issues come up with private sector companies.

She has gotten a lawyer involved. It's not directly illicit as I've already discussed. Insurance policies are benefits from employment and the employer can choose what they wish to cover with their company dollars the same way you can choose if you want to spend money with that company. The joys of an open market.

As for the "Sexual Harassment" not really, it should be discrimination.

Now while it may seem like I've advocated a lot toward Hobby Lobby, here is my personal opinion. They are being stupid and trying to "prove a point" that is ultimately going to end up on the top ten H.R. & P.R. blunders for 2014. It's not right as she is a female by both her state issued ID and employment paperwork. Oh and if you happen to shop there, I hope you know the quality of the products sold at the hobby lobby is about the same as that sold from a junk yard.