1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News US Censors accused of Homophobia over "Pride" rating

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Beware Of You, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

2. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

*shakes head sadly* There's a song I like by the band Dos Gringos, it has a line:" we can mow people down by the thousands, but we can't say a dirty word". Now, we can send children to movies where thousands - or millions - of living beings are brutally slaughtered, but won't Somebody Think of the Chuldrun! if they see those icky LGBTs trying to do something nice? There are days I'm ashamed to be an American, and I think it's well past time that the MPAA was sent into the trash heap.

3. Raikamaru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  4. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  5. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

You know what, this reminds me of something.

In the original Japanese version of the anime Sailor Moon, two of the antagonists were in a homosexual relationship. *SPOILER ALERT* when one of the characters was killed, he even died in his lover's arms. How sad, poor thing.

Anyways, apperantly in the American version (which was edited and censored greatly, from what I heard it was very different from the original), they changed that character, who was a very androgynous looking male, to a female character.

Hm, I wonder why. Stupid Americans

6. Candace

Um, this is just wrong on so many levels. I hope that they really do come to their senses and reverse this poorly made decision :dry:

7. piano71

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A lot of "soft R" rated films in the USA get the 15 cert in the UK. The "hard" R films usually get an 18 cert in the UK.

The PG-13 rating in the US is closer to the 12 certificate in the UK. Few PG-13 films in the USA actually get a 15 in the UK.

Most likely, the F-bomb count exceeded two. In other respects, it looks like it should be a PG-13 film.

But the MPAA *is* homophobic. G.B.F. didn't deserve an R rating either.

8. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It is slightly baffling that a film that's primarily about gays joining with Welsh miners to fight Mrs Thatcher is, in the MPA's mind, equatable to something like Saw. I'm just not seeing it, even with the language and the sight gags.

#8 GeeLee, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  9. piano71

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's been the problem with the "R" rating all along. It covers too wide a span of films, from ones that are appropriate for younger teenagers (13-15) as well as exceedingly dark, violent films suitable only for adult audiences.

Though the MPAA has tried to introduce an NC-17 rating, it still seems to be applied mainly for sex scenes rather than violence. Whenever a violent movie gets an NC-17, they usually go back-and-forth with the MPAA ratings board, trimming spit-seconds of gore until the board relents and gives the R. Corporate-owned movie theater chains are hesitant to show NC-17 films, and most lose money at the box office.

And then PG-13 was supposed to fill the same role as the 15 rating in the UK - to indicate a film appropriate for teenagers but not young children. But the MPAA maintained their strict, puritanical rules about vulgar language and sex. So the result was all the former PG films became PG-13, and PG became the new G rating. The G rating is never given these days, except perhaps for Disney animation.

If I were a parent, I would look at the Common Sense Media and IMDB content advisories, and compare against ratings in Canada and the UK. Any time a film has the combination of US R / Canada 14A / UK 15 rating, I would think it appropriate for teenagers. But if the Canada rating is 18A or R, or the UK rating is 18, it's probably tough and explicit stuff.

How to fix the issue? Return to the "G" rating for films with no/minimal adult content (the role of both G and PG today). Act as if "PG" really means "parental guidance" and move the average PG-13 films back there. Then expand PG-13 up into today's "soft R" territory (drop that 1-2 F-bomb rule), and apply "R" for the 18-level stuff (films with explicit sex and violence). Drop NC-17, as that experiment failed. Result: A meaningful distinction between films appropriate for teens and up vs. adults only.

And treat gay and straight alike when it comes to ratings decisions. In times where 14-year-olds are coming out of the closet, it's silly to think that they have to be protected from films like "Shelter," "Brokeback Mountain," or "G.B.F."

#9 piano71, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think it's because people don't want kids to know gay people exist .

11. Acm

Acm Guest

I've noticed that a lot of LGBT related movies have ratings much more extreme than they should be, even if it's just a tame movie

12. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah me too

13. Sitri

The MPAA is controlled by a group of people representing six major filmmaking companies. They make decisions alone and based on their own morals. They are allowed to do this because the rating is technically voluntary. There is no legal obligation to observe the rating. However, theaters can restrict access to the film, and regularly do based solely on the MPAA rating.

14. Beware Of You

I never knew it was the MPAA who rated movies over there. They are crazy

15. Summer Rose

Can you blame them? I mean, according to some newspaper, we'll cause the collapse of civilization!

Really, it's so immature that gay relationships even cause any change in ratings what-so-ever.

16. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, the MPAA. A bunch of codgers who have always been at least 30 years behind the times. Proof that Hollywood is in many ways not so very progressive as it first appears.

17. piano71

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's why I laugh when conservatives carry on about the "liberal biased media." Hollywood actually reflects conservative values. Up until recently, it was thought that a gay man could not credibly play a straight character. And we still don't have a mega-star leading man who is out of the closet.