1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Lesbian mother suing for wrongful birth...

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by pinklov3ly, Oct 2, 2014.

1. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I've searched to see if this topic was created already, but it looks it hasn't been discussed yet so here it goes...

Apparently, a lesbian couple were given the wrong sperm (from an African American donor) when in fact had already picked out a Caucasian sperm donor. The error was discovered eventually prior to the birth of the child, and now, the couple is suing the sperm bank for wrongful birth--here's the link White lesbian mother sues sperm bank after she gave birth to mixed-race baby because she was sent black man's sperm* | Daily Mail Online

Here's my two cents...having a child is a blessing, whether the child is black, white, pink or blue. For them to sue for wrongful birth is just unbelievable to me. I understand that racism still exists, but being gay in this day and age is looked down upon just as much if not more. I mean, it's precedent for this sort of "mistake" to happen, but perhaps it's a blessing in disguise. Maybe this is what this couple and those surrounding them needed in order for them to wake up and realize that we're all human at the end of the day.

2. Evil Kitten

To me it sounds like they're suing due to the fact they did not get what they paid for. Reading that article it shows that the couple themselves are not racist and are caring for their daughter though they do have racist family.

3. Blossom85

I agree.. Reading the article, it does sound like suing for not getting what they paid for which I would see that as their right to do... They speak of the hardship they as a family have to go through because of this mix up, it doesn't say that they don't love or accept their daughter for who she is.. It seems they are quite caring and worried about her growing up around the extended family who are racist and also against gay people, so I wouldn't judge them harsley for suing over not getting what they paid for.

I can understand them wanting to choose a white man's sperm over a person of color if they were going to be raising their child around racist family, that intself to me isn't racism on the parents behalf, more so wanting to protect their child from their racist family which I get.

4. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I may have misinterpreted the original article that I read as well as the video that was posted on The Young Turks website https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1piiSJv6G3E

Now, that I have a better understanding of what is going on, I will say that being a parent myself, raising a child is difficult no matter what. I understand that they live in a predominately white town, however, suing for wrongful birth seems a bit extreme. They were given a refund for the sperm that they thought they purchased, but now, she is suing for
    I could see if something was in fact wrong with the child, such as a physical/mental abnormality that could hinder her from living a fulfilling life.

I mean, she found out about the error prior to giving birth, so why not just give the baby up for adoption? Raising a child is difficult no matter what and perhaps, the couple should move to a more diverse neighborhood.

#4 pinklov3ly, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  5. ewacebula

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would be upset. Not because the baby is mixed race but because I am sure they took a lot of time trying to find the perfect donor for them, and all of that time is gone. Moving sure isn't easy either. Maybe seeing a lesbian couple with a mixed race child will help to open up the eyes of her family and the people of her town. Could be a good thing in the long run, but first there will for sure be hardship. Good luck to them.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'd be upset too and the sad part is people might think one of them cheated with a guy.

7. photoguy93

THEY ARE LESBIANS!

LESBIANS! How in the world does that make sense (in this context)? I was trying to be respectful of them, but I just don't get it now. They can handle opening up to their families about being lesbians, but a bi-racial baby? NO WAY.

I'd probably understand if they filed a complaint about the clinic...but I don't understand why they have to sue, especially two years later. It just isn't making any sense to me.

8. NatWheeled

Hmm, if they got a refund for the sperm why sue? Its sending a horrible message to their daughter. "We love you dear, but you're not what we wanted". I feel sorry for the daughter, even if she is too young to understand right now.

On the plus side, this does help prove that sexuality aside we're just like the rest of humanity, and equally capable of being cruel.

9. Candace

You got a child, right? That's what you asked for...now you're upset? That's just racist and I feel really bad for the child in this. That's like going to a Chinese restaurant and ordering fried rice, but complaining that there's egg in it. Well, guess what? You wanted fried rice, that's what you get. Deal with it and quit suing for things that don't need to be sued over :dry:

10. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i'd be really god damn concerned if my baby was blue, op

11. Noira

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They have a right to sue....

HOWEVER this will send a bad message to their daughter. She'll find out and go through life feeling like a mistake....

Also can we stop and embrace the irony that a lesbian couple is worried about discrimination ?

12. Hexagon

I think it's more serious than that. After all, egg doesn't have a history of being oppressed and discriminated against.

13. TossAWatermelon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have to agree with the poster above the last - this isn't the type of thing you want to be arguing about over a child's head. It's only a matter of time before the truth would leak out even if the child got another home.

14. NatWheeled

Just cause somebody has the right to do something doesn't mean they should. These stupid lawsuits are just for more money. They got their refund for the clinic's error, now they need to love n stand by their daughter.

15. Incognito10

I read the article and to its conclusion and still don't understand what the mothers want--do they want to give their daughter up? If they sue and receive financial compensations, are they still going to keep the child?

Also, I am not really following the racism aspect either as racism exists everywhere and I am a bit shocked that two lesbians, whom likely endured their fair share of discrimination, are shying away from a bi-racial baby...interesting. If their town is so filled with discrimination, would they presume any child being raised by two moms would face discrimination, regardless of race, but rather due to the fact it's two lesbians in a seemingly conservative region?

I do however think they are entitled to a refund by the sperm donor company as they had selected they what they wanted and did not get it; therefore, is should be obvious to the clinic that they need to just eat the costs on this one. Again, however, I am still unclear on what the mothers ultimately want. I do say shame on both the parents as well as the clinic for letting this turn into a lawsuit matter because if the child detects she is the target of a legal battle or finds out later on, I am certain psychological damage will be the result, especially if she finds out it's due to her race.

16. Gen

Gen

It is important that people actually read the article before writing a response on the topic because the fact that the sperm originated from a person of color and created a biracial baby is the central factor of the conflict.

The main complaint of this couple is not that they were given the sperm of a different donor accidentally; although that could obvious be frustrating. Their main complaint is that they feel that the racial background of this new child puts them at a disadvantage. Aside from the racism within their families, one of the mothers claims that she is now forced to travel across town to get to a "black neighborhood" in order for the child to get her hair done because she has typical African hair. Having to enter that environment supposedly makes her feel uncomfortable.

If this was truly centered around the frustrations stemming from the clinics accident than it wouldn't have taken this long for this case to be filed and expedited. This is about how these women feel burdened by having a child outside of their race.

17. photoguy93

YES!!! You are so right. I commented the same thing on facebook. My family has had some pretty interesting medical things happen. I really feel that one in particular could have been lawsuit worthy. Did we sue? No. We are happy that my Dad is here and that nothing too bad came from it.

18. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    They are suing for the mispractice of the sperm bank. Anyone who thinks they are suing because they have a black baby obviously hasn't looked into the topic enough. It's scary to think the sperm bank messed up. Especially if it results in a horrible genetic disorder. And the even scarier part is that a lot of other people may not realize a mistake because of the baby still matching the race of the correct donor.

I side with the mothers on this. If someone messes up your pregnancy, they are held accountable. They still love their daughter and don't plan on abandoning her.

19. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

this is like that mcdonalds thing with the coffee burns isn't it, where ppl are like "UGH DAMN COUNTRY THESE DAYS EVERYONE IS SO QUICK TO SUE" but the burns were actually really really really terrible and don't google pics like i did as a youth, i wasn't ready for them....

20. Gen

Gen

I would be interested reading the various sources you have uncovered that the rest of us are not privy to. No one is arguing that this women is despicable as a human, but the insinuation that this isn't a race-based conflict is just blatantly inaccurate, even according to the words of the mothers themselves. Below are exact quotes from Cramblett, one of the mothers, from various outlets including NBC, The Daily Mail, and a video broadcast on Today.

This isn't about the sperm bank acknowledging their mistake. In fact, not only did they acknowledge it, the family was refunded for all costs according the suit filed by the mothers themselves. The suit isn't centered around reimbursement for malpractice. The bank never combated the claim that reimbursement was deserved. It is filed under the complaint of emotional distress and economic loss in regards to being given a non-white child.

You are welcome to believe she is justified in her claims, but the claim that this isn't a race-based issue when the words of the very mothers themselves specify otherwise doesn't carry much weight.