1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News People are dehumanizing us, and we can't fight back

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Pret Allez, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Now I know I'm not exactly known as the Queen of Positivity on EC.

But this is just one more example of how fucked we are. Trigger warning for dehumanization, heterosexist violence, and legal injustice:
    Beaten Teen Charged With Assault After Defense Against Anti-Gay Bullies

A Virginia teen has been slapped with assault charges despite being brutally beaten in an altercation at his high school. Eric Martin spent nine days in the hospital after a fight at Highland Springs High School in Henrico, Virginia. His story is far too familiar for LGBT+ youth and even those merely perceived to be LGBT+.

The assault charges from the Henrico Police come almost two weeks after Martin and his mother, Mary Martin, claim that the teenager threw a first punch in the altercation which landed him in the hospital, reported by local news channel NBC 12. The Martins claim that Eric only threw a punch because he was consistently tormented by bullies who repeatedly harassed him with anti-gay slurs.

In before "but he threw the first punch, and violence is always wrong": we strongly suspect that throwing the first punch wasn't voluntary, and that action was taken under duress. I should probably blog about my more general views on violence just to make them clear to everyone. In this case, I would argue this teenager was not the aggressor even if it turns out to be true that he started throwing punches. The aggressor is never the person to actually initiate force; the aggressor is the person who takes a step to dehumanize another (but often initiating force is dehumanizing, though that's not always true). Please see the article for the author's anecdotal analysis of similar situations.

Once again, I just want to remind everyone that we're not going to educate our way to a world where we hold hands singing kumbaya, where unicorns drink from river streams and shit lilacs and rainbows. Sexism will never end until it's made unsafe for the perpetrators.

#1 Pret Allez, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  2. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

I get so angry when I see things like this that I almost can't see. I'm a big person. I wear MLP jewelry and stuff and I get some looks, but when you weigh like I do, the Bullies aren't as brave.

If these homophobes want a war, I can fight a war. I've spent my whole life in pain, nothing these animals can do can scare me. When I was 8 years old, I read a child's history of the Holocaust. I swore to myself then that I will *not* be marched into a gas chamber. I will *not* die like a sheep.

I am a wolf, Motherfuckers, A lone wolf. A sad wolf. A sick wolf. And a wolf that will take as many Motherfuckers with me as I fucking can. You want a war, motherfucks? I'll give you a war. You'll be lucky if I leave enough Homophobes to cater the fucking funeral.

3. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If the school and the police did their jobs properly maybe Martin wouldn't have needed to throw a punch.

EDIT: Seriously why were Martin's bullies not chucked out of the school? Bullying of any kind should be met with serious consequences ie suspension in the first instance and expulsion down the line.

#3 GeeLee, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  4. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There's no mention of the police being involved before the punch so I don't know how its their fault that the fight started.

This is a truly horrifying story though, I feel so bad for that kid

5. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seems to work in Scandinavia - the most gender-equal society in the world. If they can do it, I'm sure you guys can too. Keep on trying!

6. ewacebula

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see this a few different ways.

1-I am PISSED that this kid gets the charges when he was the one beaten up. Because he is gay and some other sh!ts don't agree and have the need to feel empowerment by bullying someone else. They don't see us as normal people, but different people. It's like eyes are closed and heads are turned towards us. Someone can torment another persons life and when they finally fight back, they get punished??? You don't just go around punching people in the face, there's usually a reason. Words can hurt just as bad if not more than physical pain. Once you have had enough, it's enough and even though it's sad that he ended up in the hospital, I am glad he had the balls to stand up and fight back. More power to him.

2-They can always argue that they are not discriminating against gays. They choose to leave it out in the sense that "it has nothing to do with sexual orientation, he threw the first punch so he started the physical fight." I can see how the law and whoever else can play that card as well to make this "ok."

It all depends on what side you play for, and you have to view every angle. At least in my opinion.

7. IS92

Out Status:
    A few people
    Perhaps not the police, but the school fucked up royally. This should have been nipped in the bud. First instance of bullying getting the idiots suspended. Any further, expelled. That's what the "no tolerance policy" is supposed to set: strict consequences for such hateful actions.
    And these assault charges are utter bullshit. Last I checked, "self-defense" was a legal defense. And I'm no legal buff, but considering the circumstances, it's pretty damn obvious that this would fall under that category.

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This use to happen to me a lot in elementary, school and it wasn't because I was lgbt but there were kids that use to beat me up everyday and I got fed up and started giving them a taste of their own medicine but when I did the teachers would take their side .
    I hate how schools handle bullies ,and it's so upsetting to me it's like their tell this kid just let these people beat you up it's your fault their beating you up .

9. Incognito10

I have never been in a situation as extreme as described in the article (where physical beating ensued); however, in middle school I was taunted daily for just about everything possible--even the way I walk or say words...it was all ridiculed. I was made fun of for the way I was walking and my anxiety got so bad that I hated myself and tried to avoid walking in front of this crowd at school. Oftentimes, the taunting would intensify to the point where I would see red, but if I dared speak up or throw back wadded up paper back at the bullies that first threw it at the back of my head, I got in trouble (naturally the teachers never saw the bullies in action, they only took notice when they saw me reacting and their comment was, "well, I didn't see them do anything, just you, so you will have detention." I am not sure about now, but teachers didn't seem to stick up for victims of bullying as they should have. I never understood why I was a target as I was very shy and innocuous and tried to be nice to everyone.

#9 Incognito10, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  10. Raikamaru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This kinda stuff just pisses me off to no end.

11. GayAndProudd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am so mad at this moment, how could they even being to do something. It makes me absolutely sick on how they can take their side...