1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Top Gear driven out of Argentina

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by SeaSalt, Oct 3, 2014.

1. SeaSalt

2. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Haha this is hilarious, I bet Clarkson came up with the idea, I love Top Gear. The Argies need to get it in their heads that the Falklands will never be theirs, they never have been.

3. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it's not like this hasn't happened before. A while ago they drove to the USA in cars with words painted on them "Nascar Sucks", "Country Music Sucks", "Hillary for President", and "Man Love is Cool" or something. They were somewhere in the south where a group of shirtless hillbillies chased them out of a gas station with rocks in a pickup truck.

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try to see it from an Argentinian perspective; a rich, former superpower has access to oil and gas there, humiliated an Argentina which was traumatised by a dictatorship, and then Argentina has been faced with economic hardship. It's not like Argentinians feel the British are doing anything but colonialism, regardless how the British see it.

A bunch of rich Brits taunting them is not exactly going to inspire a good reaction.

5. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

Wow, I'm impressed @aussie

6. SeaSalt

They started the war which ended in the deaths of brave soldiers British and Argentinian alike and then continue to poke us over the sodding islands even now claiming that we are being undemocratic. Not to mention the fact that im sceptical that this was done on purpose in the first place.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And the solution is to go through Argentinian towns taunting the people who lost family and friends in the war?

Taunt the Junta's remaining loyal ones, taunt Kirchner if necessary, but don't go through humiliating veterans and regular people. Top Gear has a habit of being deliberately offensive to get more viewers, and they step too far in a lot of cases. I very much doubt that it's an accident.

---------- Post added 4th Oct 2014 at 09:47 AM ----------

Was that sarcasm?

8. King

This is hilarious, the Argentinians are clearly bitter that an entire country got beat by a woman!

And Aussie No need to be racist, you have given your anti-English/anti-British views before.

In a referendum the Falklanders voted to remain in the united Kingdom with an overwhelming majority. These islands have existed before Argentina was even a country (used to be part of Spanish South America).

Arganetina voted for the extremist Cristina de Kirchner and if that results in economic hardship then that is unfortunate, but not the fault of the people in the UK.

I am sure Top Gear can promote the natural beauty and tourism benefits of another country, who can increase their international tourist appeal from UK visitors.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, I actually believe that the Falklands shouldn't go to Argentina. That doesn't change that I feel Top Gear was being inappropriate.

And yes, I am so anti-British with my half-British ancestry, cultural links, and constant consumption of British media, with English family and friends.

And funny for you, a complete racist, notably Islamaphobic, to call me a racist for criticising aspects of Britain's historical foreign policy.

10. SeaSalt

I agree that Clarkson can act like a complete bastard and I also know that my opinions on this matter arent really worth anything as I am certainly not impartial. I just think that sometimes it can be easy for the big "rich" country to be seen as the bad guys despite the fact that we werent the agressors. There was an ongoing economic Shit storm happening over here during the 80s. After causing a war that cost the lives of over 200 British and nearly 700 Argentinians I think letting a licence plate slide isnt too much to ask even if it was in bad taste.

Im not sure that trying to keep an open mind in a debate over a licence plate depicting the date that a war happened over territory constitutes as racisim

11. King

Many Australians have links to Britain or Ireland so that doesn't say anything particularly important.

Just because you support religious intolerance and sectarianism doesn't mean people are Islamophobic. I disagree to all religious teachings, including those of Islam, but does that mean I have an irrational fear of people who support this religion?

Heres an example of why Islamophobia is fake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-PP61qTmic

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could link you a clip of a Muslim woman holding back tears while telling our justice minister that she's been receiving death threats for months because of her being Muslim while the police have ignored her complaints, but it's not available in the UK (ABC iview)

And no, it doesn't say much, but it's about as irrelevant as what you've been posting, and I'm still waiting for an example of anti-English 'racism' I'm responsible for.

I don't really trust anything you have to say, but this is very off-topic.

13. King

Ok, so someone's been attacked or offended therefore people are unable to criticise a particular religion?

14. SeaSalt

On a slightly more topical note, the Falklands war worked out for the best. It pushed the Argentinian public to end the military regime and it showed the world that the Brits still know a thing or two about winning wars.

15. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It absolutely did. That regime was horrid, if not at Chile's level. My point about this problem is simply that Top Gear didn't do anything as a conciliatory movement or as a measure to engage with Argentina. What it comes across as is a bunch of thick-headed Brits with no knowledge of Argentina but the Falklands War who wanted to get a laugh back home by mocking the Argentinians in their own country. And that is why I find that behaviour unacceptable, not just distasteful.

There are plenty of productive ways that Top Gear could have made a statement about their views on British sovereignty in the Falklands, and a negative Argentinian reaction would have been less understandable. But they provoked with the intention of getting a response, a response which they got.

16. King

It was a car number plate, which had nothing to do with the Falklands war, and maybe the Argentines should have thought about repercussions before starting an illegal war.

17. SeaSalt

It did have a very Falklands vibe to it "H982 FKL"

The thing it that Top Gear allways takes the piss. They take the piss out of the UK in just about every episode and they allways take the piss whenever they go abroad.

Arriving in Germany in three Spitfires
    Going to the Deep South in three provocatively decorated cars
    Going to Burma to sort of reenact the bridge on the river kwai
    Born in the USA scooter in Vietnam
    Im pretty sure they even made a hentai joke when they went to Japan

The thig is that whenever they make these jokes in poor taste they allways make up for it when doing the big summary at the end of the special episodes that focus on the best bits. In Vietnam they started out talking about nothing but the war but ended by saying that it is a stunningly beautiful country filled with wonderful people. In the Middle East special they made a bunch of terrorist and religion jokes but finished saying how far they had come and how the counties were so spiritual. The USA special had such a good ending that I still want to do the same road trip as them.

If the Argentianian locals let them finish they would have been supprised but something like this gives them as much bad press at the show itself. yes the licence plate isnt good but neither was the reaction to it.

Yes I like Top Gear....

18. LiquidSwords

:confused:

Obviously it was deliberate obviously it was top gear thinking they're being edgy and it's funny but obviously it's just a bit pathetic and they're fucking babies. Don't people find this boring after a while

19. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

I see your point but its hard for me as a Brit to understand when many British servicemen died in this war. Fair enough the dirty war era was really bad but why cant Argentina stop going on about it now and offending those who fought to protect the islands the people who live there.

Im sick of Argentina banging on about how the Falklands belong to them and then not accepting that the people of the islands have voted to stay with Britain. The islands have belonged to Britain even before Argentina was a country and they have never been Argentinian. If it wasnt for colonisalism Argentina wouldnt even be a country so why dont the natives of Argentina get a say in what belongs to them.

Pictures like this piss me off so well done Top Gear.

[​IMG]

#19 JackAttack, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  20. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good point. And I've never liked the show, these guys oogling and gushing over these gas guzzling cars that only the elite and rich can afford. I just don't get the appeal. I know I'm probably in the minority, but I hate these sorts of shows about the toys of the rich and famous, and all that kind of thing.

I'd rather see a show about lower middle class people trying to keep their car running, so they can hold a job. Yet TV loves to show us what we might have, but most likely, will never get.

To me, it's just boring status quo. Of all the shows the BBC pipes over here, this is among my least favorite ever.

#20 HuskyPup, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014