1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Woman gives birth with transplanted uterus

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Seige, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Seige

So I turn on the news this morning and this comes up: A Medical First: Woman Successfully Gives Birth With A Donated Womb
    Needless to say, I was stunned. I know this procedure isn't always successfull (just like any organ transplant) 'But I was happily surprised. This could be such a huge step forward for trans women, and for families everywhere.

2. PurpleGrey

Wow! I would never have thought this was possible! Huzzah for the progress of medical science!

3. Candace

Intriguing! I'm really surprised to see how far medicine and science has come along! :grin:

4. RainDreamer

*gasp* One of the greatest barrier of transwomen...now it may be possible to overcome that! I love science!

5. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Cool! I hope scientists firgure out a way for 2 women to have children together.. like apparently I heard they might be able to get dna from bone of the other woman and insert it into the pregnant to be woman or something? Could have been a rumour. I am so proud of scientists all around the world!

6. RainDreamer

According to wikipedia, they did figure out the first steps to use stem cells from bone marrows to grow partly developed sperm cells completely in vitro. This hasn't seem to be perfected yet and they are getting more funding to see if this might be a possible way to create female sperm.

7. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

That's awesome! I am so proud of how far we've come in the science world :eusa_clap

8. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    U know this was a regular woman, not a transgender girl... right???

9. 741852963

Not really. Its highly unlikely a womb transplant would be successful on a transwoman, let alone that transwomen would be able to birth. Certainly not in our lifetime.

With transplants there is an incredibly strong risk of rejection meaning recipients have to spend a lifetime on anti-rejection drugs. Rejection rate is increased dramatically when the transplanted organ is transferred to an opposite sex donor - and thats for "unisex" organs like livers and kidneys. I'd gather the rejection rate for "gender specific" organs like wombs would be even higher in these scenarios, possible even 100%.

Organ rejection (and the side effects of anti-rejection drugs for that matter) are no walk in the park. Your talking dangerous infections, tissue damage or even certain cancers developing.

10. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I think everyone who's posted here is well aware of that. However, if a cis woman who, for whatever reason, didn't have a functional uterus could benefit from this than there's no saying that down the line, this technology can be perfected to allow for a trans woman to have a functional uterus.

In fact, I believe artificial testosterone was made explicitly for helping cis males with naturally low testosterone levels but now artificial testosterone injections are something many transgender men will undergo to induce male puberty.

Now, obviously there are a few roadblocks when it comes to a transgender woman one day receiving a donated uterus. For one, pelvic size and internal anatomy will need to be worked around. And will a trans woman, if she receives a uterus be able to deliver naturally or will she need to deliver via c-section? Either way, I would definitely be very optimistic about the future of trans medical science.

11. Sorceress of Az

Now if only they could discover a way to use that for MtF's.

12. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

13. 741852963