1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News 16th Anniversary of Matt Shepard's Death

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BryanM, Oct 12, 2014.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Story here: The memory and meaning of Matthew Shepard, 16 years later – LGBTQ Nation

I can't believe it's been 16 years. Make sure to never forget what happened to Matthew, and to remember it as one of the reasons we fight towards societal acceptance and tolerance. Nobody should be beaten to death for any reason, let alone for their sexual orientation.

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I remember this when it happened. Anybody with a shred of empathy was outraged. The President also reached out to the family. While other hate crimes have occurred, this one seems to stand out a little bit more, and I'm not minimizing the others, because it is so eery and people can almost visualize it as it has been documented: this kid was outnumbered and heaped on a fence in the middle of nowhere and left to die.

3. NobleCrown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was fifteen. I remember hearing about it at school, and my teachers just sort of glossed over the whole "he's gay" bit (private Christian school). I was freaked anyway, but when I found out the reason... I was just sick. All I could think of was John Grisham's A Time to Kill. I wrote a report a paper comparing the fiction to the reality... and totally chickened out on turning it in.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bows her head solemnly... And waits... Lifts her head...

I would disagree that we fight, unless one allows the word fight to take on a symbolic meaning largely devoid of conflict content. We make requests of other people to treat us like human beings. Our requests go unhonored.

People are still killing us.

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wish I could say I remembered it when it happened as I was 15. However, I certainly didn't identify as bi and was deep in the Christian bubble. I do remember hearing about it a few years later.

6. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's only a little thing, but I wanted to share one way I support the Matthew Shepard Foundation: Every purchase on Amazon donates 0.5%. They have a huge selection of charities -- https://smile.amazon.com/.

7. hollychristina

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I recently read the book his mother wrote and I was crying my eyes out. Matthew Shepard seemed like one of the kindest and most honest souls on this earth who saw the good in everyone which is sometimes very hard to do. I was 13 when this happened and it really made me rethink my whole life. I wanted to help people of all backgrounds gay, straight, black, white it didn't matter. after reading the book it makes me realize that much like Matthew i see the good in everyone and i still need to help people.

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think this was one of the few things about gays that I had heard before I started getting into puberty. But, I was just not very aware of it to pay much attention.

9. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think this made the news here, otherwise I'm sure I would have remembered it.

It's still very sad though. We have come a long way fighting for equal rights but the struggle isn't over yet. Discrimination happens against LGBT people every day. It's important to know that we won't stop fighting until we get the respect and acceptance that everyone deserves.

10. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think this made the news here, otherwise I'm sure I would have remembered it.

It's still very sad though. We have come a long way fighting for equal rights but the struggle isn't over yet. Discrimination happens against LGBT people every day. It's important to know that we won't stop fighting until we get the respect and acceptance that everyone deserves.

11. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely remember this--if you were out at the type it shaped in a lot of ways your thoughts on being gay. The thing I remember the most though was the angels at the funeral--that to me is how I envision the gay community...

12. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I saw the movie! I almost fainted at the beginning when the kid was being beaten by his captors; Horrible! RIP. :frowning2:

13. purplecats

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know this was from a few days ago but this isn't something I remember as I was 2 when it happened but reading this absolutely broke my heart. His mom seems like an awesome woman though and my thoughts are definitely with her.

14. White Knight

I read about his life and death. Pretty grim situation and felt sorry for him for a long time.

Then I watched that documentary about the case/situation to learn that he had AIDS. A good woman contracted with disease. Now it is more of a f*cked up situation than a martyr legend for me.

Still my main Sheperd in Mass Effect series named after him.