1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia in my school

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Wander, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Some of the regulars here may remember an experiment I did in school last year: I kept a notecard with me throughout the day, and every time someone made a verbal statement that used "gay", "queer", "fag", or other such words as insults, I made a note of it. By the end of the day, I had a record of the number of times homophobic comments were made during that day. I kept it up for a week at a time, but I never really did anything with the results except posted them here. If you know anything about where I live, pro-gay petitions and projects and support of any kind are shot down immediately.

Well, I decided to repeat this experiment this year - a new group of students, the new ninth graders, would mean slightly different results. Below is a list of the number of times those words were used each day:

Monday: 14
    In comparison, this was a slow day. I guess everyone was too tired to trash us homos.

Tuesday: 46
    In all the days I've been doing this, I've never gotten a number higher than 40. 46 is ridiculous. A lot of the instances came from a group of people who kept trying to outdo each other with insults, among them being "queer", "faggot", "c*cksucker", and plenty of other colorful words. The highest number I've ever gotten. 46.

Wednesday: 22
    Nothing really interesting happened here either. Just the usual bigotry.

Thursday: 39
    Here, a group of people at lunch started naming the people, places, teachers, assignments, stores, movies, songs, etc. they thought were "gaaaay". I just kept ticking away with my pen.

Friday: 10
    In contrast to Tuesday, this is the lowest number I've ever gotten. It's still too high, but no particular person or group said more than one offensive comment towards LGBT people. It was a relief, but it was also a little surprising.

Anyway, I just thought some people would be interested to see what my school is like in regards to attitudes about gay people. Comment any way you want. Thoughts, opinions, angry rants, whatever you feel like.

2. Loveless

Loveless Guest

Wow i can never keep count even writing it down lol

3. biisme

this is really interesting. i think that i might steal your idea and see what my school tests at

4. Amy

Amy

do you mind ifi bring this up at gsa on tuessday? it would be good to test different "cliques".

5. littledinosaurs

6. jazzrawr

Mine's exactly the same. :frowning2:
    I did this at my school, in my classes, and got to 28 by lunch. >.<

Most people don't mean it as an insult - it's just become a part of every day vocabulary, as a word for stupid, sadly.
    It's almost all guys who use it as an insult at my school.
    There are a few girls, of course.

High school is just chock full of idiots.

7. littledinosaurs

quote of the year.

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    This needs to be published in the school newspaper. Probably people don't even realize what they are doing.

9. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    @amyleona and biisme: Sure. I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this, so feel free to try it at your own schools. My own doesn't even have a GSA, the Baaahhh-ble wouldn't approve of it, but I think it would be a great idea to bring this up at one.

@jazzrawr: From the ones I counted, most of them were guys, but I remember a girl coming up with the incredibly clever "gaytarded" one day this week. High school kids.

10. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not sure you know what kind of place I live in; if I somehow managed to get this into the school newspaper without outing myself to the entire school, nothing would come about it. Unlike some people, these kids really don't care. I told one of them, individually, that one day they were going to say something like that to a person who really was gay and may hurt themselves because of it. There response was little more than 'Good, one less homo'. I mean, if you have suggestions I'd love to hear them, but I would prefer my nice, roomy walk-in closet to schoolwide outing and torment for something that would probably never get off the ground anyway.

11. Amy

Amy

is there a way to put in an anon article?
    i would love to help write it. :slight_smile:
    if the paper says you cant, tell me. im sure theres a law that states that you should give writers the option of being known. if not, ill spin anything i can find.

12. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Wow. That is very interesting, and sad. I don't think my school is quite as bad as that, or perhaps I've just got inured to it... maybe I'll try it sometime.

Thanks for posting your results. Can I ask, did you keep track of how many times gay women in particular are attacked? Because it seems like at my school that's disproportionately common...

13. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, I didn't specify what type of insult was being made when I marked it down, but in the whole week I think I heard maybe one or two "dyke"s getting tossed around. The attitude of the hetero males in my area is usually "Eww, don't get close to me, you queer...but lesbians are hot! Mmmm!". One person mentioned how a teacher at a school they used to go to is a lesbian, but nothing offensive was said, so I didn't count that.

14. mattyrusso

i wanna try this at my school

i go to an all guys catholic high school so you can imagine how many i'll probably get

15. Nugget

Typical.

16. luvisneverwrong

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    46 times... that's ridiculous

i should try this at my school

17. Chaz

If I were to count the amount of times someone said "That's gay" in a day, i'd probably have over 100. For a school of 350 people, that's what EVERYONE uses as a synonym for dumb, stupid, etc.

18. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I understand....yeah Alabama is tough. It would be interesting to post these results and others that do this kind of survey in some kind of public article. Maybe a newspaper? There really does need to be awareness around this issue.

19. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow.. I'm sorry about your problems. My school is exactly the same, full of catholic biggots.
    When school starts back up again next week I'll probably do the same experiment for a month and then submit the results to my principal or head of campus and see what happens lol. Hopefully they might put something in the school newsletter about it.

20. Derek the Wolf

That's an interesting experiment. I got a mechanical counter, I might try that this week.
    It's a shame to see this rampant disrespect and hate for anyone.