1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News US facing Ebola without Surgeon General

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BryanM, Oct 15, 2014.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    More here: http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/10/14/3579328/surgeon-general-ebola-outbreak/

Make sure to remember this the next time somebody asks who's in charge of controlling Ebola in the United States. Vivek Murthy is 100% qualified to be surgeon general.

2. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's amazing how the Republicans have stood in the way of so many important appointments, putting partisan politics before the public interest. And then to hear so much blathering about how things should be done, but not wanting to spend a dime to do them...it's a bit much. Mainly, I see a lot of fear-mongering, a way to drum up more fears of 'those foreigners' and the so-called dangers they present. Ug.

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This thing is now starting to worry me. Talk of it has really ramped up.

Edit: Husky, my concern/fear is strictly about the ailment.

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

Yeah, just like the bird flu and West Nile virus meant the death of us. Please, we may not have remotely affordable or universal health care, but the hospitals are still top-level facilities that go through a lot of trouble to keep things like this from spreading.

These news corporations are "worrying" you for their own profit, and that it works never ceases bother me...

#4 Browncoat, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm more worried about the likelihood of the disease to spread in Africa, and the potentially destabilizing effects this could have, economically, politically, regionally and even globally. I'm not overly worried about it in the US, though I think it is an international crisis that hasn't been given the support it needs.

And more worrisome are the pundits on Fox news claiming Obama wants the disease here, so we can suffer like those in Africa...that's just crazy talk, but the sort Republicans seem to be fond of whipping up, especially around elections. The theme seems to be: Identify Obama with Africa, and thus to Ebola, and thus, as something foreign, something threatening, something to fear.

6. ChameleonSoul

Now I think that Obama's an asshole who's just as bad as any other politician and is only using LGBT rights as a way to get more people on his side, but even I wouldn't blast him because of Ebola. This is why I hate Fox News. They just take events going on in the world and twist them around to blast anyone who isn't a God-fearing conservative. It's ok to partisan, Fox News, but at least admit that you're just the propaganda tool of the GOP.

7. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Top-level hospitals are no good if people with Ebola symptoms - who were specifically told not to travel - are being allowed on planes with over 100 passengers. It also appears that the nurses caring for the Ebola patient were also caring for other patients elsewhere in the hospital and didn't bother to change gear. This level of sloppiness allows all sorts of diseases to spread unnecessarily - but this time it's a biohazard level 3 disease, rather than the flu or measles. What excuse is there for such levels of incompetency?

#7 imnotreallysure, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  8. Alisa Arwen

Fox News. Ugh.

Nuf said