1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't believe it.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by pwnorton, Sep 29, 2008.

1. pwnorton

As the title says, I can't believe it. But what is it that I can't believe? Well, I JUST saw (as in seconds ago) an add on TV for "Yes on Prop 8." For those of you who don't know, Prop 8 would ban equal marriage rights in California. I never thought that I'd ever see one of these ads, and it really saddens me.

I don't like to think of it as "gay marriage." That's just the way stupid conservatives put it. I prefer "equal marriage," because that's what it is.

I really do like the "NO on Prop 8" ads. They put the whole thing in a way that I couldn't see anyone wanting to ban equal marriage.

Has anyone else (who's in California) seen one of these ads?

2. brighteyes52

brighteyes52 Guest

No, I have not seen either ad. It's just so sad knowing that we are finally making such huge strides as far as equality, and as soon as we get a little progress, it may be taken away.

I don't know what's going to happen, I could see the vote going either way sadly.

I just donated money to 'No On Prop 8' just a few days ago, and I don't even live in CA (Though I do plan on living there in the future). I know that if it's overturned it will only be a matter of time before other states quickly catch on and start accepting equal marriages as well.

3. pwnorton

the last time there was an equal marriage law in california was in 2000, and that was quickly voted against. so it has been 8 years, and if prop 8 passes, it won't be for another 10 years or so before any new equal marriage law is passed

4. Fiorino

I'm not so sure-I think that people would protest if they got their rights taken
    away. Like-Hollywood is a lot less homophobic nowadays and I think that
    it might spark something. But yeah- NO ON PROP 8!

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I saw one of the Yes on 8 ads this morning online. They are using the same old scare tactics like churches will lose their tax exemption and homosexuality will be forced on children. Brighteyes52, thank you for donating. Every little bit helps and a win in California is a win everywhere.

6. Tim

Tim

I've yet to see a yes on prop 8 ad, only the no one prop 8, *shrug*

7. Tim

Tim

Saw the yes on Prop 8 ad today, apparently they only run on the local channels (1-12), I guess Suddenlink Cable won't allow them to air the commercials on the cable stations O.O (The No on prop 8 air on both cable and local) Was doing research, apparently Suddenlink is for Gay Marriage, lol. According to a friend who works at their main office I mean.

8. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I, not living in California, have never seen ANY Prop8 ads...but still, I really hope that Prop8 fails and California gets to keep its equality, at least in that respect. Marriage doesn't need protection, it's already protected enough as it is.