1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Massachusetts father enraged at school for teaching Islam

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Rosepetal, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. ChameleonSoul

This is a public school, right? Isn't it a part of the curriculum to teach the historical aspects of different religions? Despite what he may think, one ignorant father isn't going to be enough to change a crucial aspect of the education system.

3. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, the Daily Caller is a pile of horseshit as far as a news source goes. That said, the textbook passage appears to be worded oddly, praising Muhammad and putting opinions in as facts. I don't disagree with teaching religion, but sugar-coating it that way seems a bit odd. Religions should be taught by outlining the history and beliefs of the religion, not saying things like "Muhammad was kind". That's a bit strange.

Even then, the father's problem appears to be with the Call to Prayer in there. What exactly is the problem with learning that? It would be no different than showing the Lord's Prayer in a lesson about Christianity. As long as the students aren't forced to recite it, I don't see what the issue is.

4. LiquidSwords

“It says Allah is their only God. That’s insulting to me as a Christian who believes in just Jesus only.”

lol what

5. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    they are so stupid Allah means God they're so dumb

6. King

I understand the reasons for teaching children about Religion, but that textbook does seem to be highlighting the positive aspects of Islam. It will be interesting to see whether this school highlights any negative aspects of this religion such as Jihadism, I guess we will never know but I suspect not.

I still find it odd that they bother teaching Religious Education, it is a waste of time and resources could be spent on giving children better essential skills in Maths and English, or even a foreign language, which many English native speakers lack. I suspect the US will one day turn their Religious Education classes into political correctness brainwashing sessions, like we have in the UK.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We were taught about Islam in World History, because it is tied so tightly to the history and culture of the region. Of course we also got bits of Judaism, Christianity, Buddhism, and a few others, but stupid people like the one in the article can't separate education from proselytism because they're only familiar with the latter.

8. Tardis2020

I think that already happened. My school is a hub of idiotic opinions being "taught" to mindless students under the guise of history.

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, because American Christianity has brought so much to the table...

Like same-sex marriage bans... And forcible degradation of our reproductive health systems.

10. Tardis2020

What? I'm sure its something obvious that I can't think of.

11. Pipihpipih

Pipihpipih Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    This is a serious issue about racism.
    I feel sad everytime I heard about this stuff.

12. DoriaN

Allah is what they refer to God as, and it is given as the name to use. Christians do not worship Allah, since Allah is not our God. Hypocrite.

What are you confused about? In Christianity, Jesus is God.

13. Aldrick

I love the hypocritical nature of this piece. On the one hand, had they been pushing Christianity in schools (as is all to common in the United States), then they would be praised and defended by the very same people. At the very least, they would remain silent.

However, mention another religion--even in just the context of history--and suddenly they are up in arms.

As an atheist, I love it. I love watching the religious zealots squirm and have to embrace the arguments that I make all the time regarding the need fort secularization of public schools and other public spaces. Sure, when it is THEIR religion they are perfectly happy with forcing it down the throats of those who do not share it, but when it is the religion of someone else? Oh, hell no. We need to suddenly get all secular now.

At the very least, I hope it opens a few peoples eyes at why maintaining a secular society is important--so that everyone regardless of their religion or lack thereof can co-exist peacefully.

14. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's the same God, DoriaN, you of all people should know that. The Abrahamic God. Arab Christians use the word "Allah" as well; it's not as if it is some foreign deity.

15. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Allah is another word for god, the same way anime is another word for cartoon.

16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh come on, Aldrick you know that's not how it's supposed to work! :lol: We're a society founded on the importance of religious tolerance. You tolerate the state, er.. I mean, *cough*, dominant religion!

From one atheist to another though...

*girly giggles*

17. ChameleonSoul

This! This is why I love being an atheist! :lol:

18. LiquidSwords

No he's not?

There's so much that doesn't make sense about the original quote I don't know why you're confused about why I'm confused

19. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jesus being God is a fundamental belief of most Christian sects. Only Mormons, Jehovah's witnesses, and some other obscure sects reject the idea of the Trinity.

20. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not really. The Trinity does not equal Jesus is God.

And there are a few things that don't really make sense about the original quote that I think LiquidSwords was referring to. Like the father feels offended because the textbook says Allah is Muslim's only God, but then he goes on to say that he only believes in Jesus. So he's pretty much doing the exact same thing that he said offended him.

Plus, saying he only believes in Jesus is kind of odd, too, because I can't think of a Christian religion that believes in Jesus only.