1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Naked rambler Stephen Gough loses human rights case

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by TigerInATophat, Oct 28, 2014.

1. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    The so-called naked rambler Stephen Gough has lost his case at the European Court of Human Rights after claiming he suffered repression over his nudity.

BBC News - Naked rambler Stephen Gough loses human rights case

This guy obviously feels strongly about it. Personal freedom vs accepted public behaviour, thoughts?

2. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

It's stupid that society cares so much about this in the first place but honestly I dunno where he gets the passion to actually get arrested repeatedly over this.

3. RainDreamer

I wonder how different this would be if it was a woman.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have no idea; that would be interesting.

Objectively, I believe in the right to wear whatever clothing you feel like wearing (even if it's none) unless it is openly threatening, like a mock bomb vest or something. Personally, I feel like many people should never exercise that right. Eugh.

5. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    The part that really got me was, he was imprisoned again.. after walking out of prison wearing only his boots and socks! He didn't even wait to get home.

Got to say whether or not anyone agrees with his viewpoint, THAT is determination.

There was a documentary a few years back where a group of naturists were doing a quiet demonstration in London because they wanted the law changed to allow non-sexual public nudity, holding signs and handing out leaflets etc. The police were nearby keeping an eye on them. The men in the group had their shirts off - no problem. Then the one woman in the group took her top off, suddenly the police were all over them, telling her to put it back on or they would arrest her because: 'it's not the same thing,' if a woman does it. Seems boobs are considered horribly offensive to the public. Even though they're happily displayed on every page 3 of certain british tabloids :confused:

6. PurpleGrey

What an idiot. I don't think all this is worth spending so much time in prison. If he feels so strongly about his right to walk around nude, he should do so in a place where it is acceptable, and not force the public to see a weird naked guy. Honestly, my first reaction wasn't so much that it would be vulgar, although it certainly is, but that I don't want this guy sitting on public benches and riding the bus or train. It's gross; I don't know how clean he keeps, and I don't want to risk it.

7. RainDreamer

I understand your point about public decency and is agree to disagree with our different viewpoints about nudity in public.
    However, I find that if someone is being themself in public, no matter how weird or strange they are, as long as they are not harming someone or is actually approaching and harassing someone, they are not "forcing" anyone.
    The same argument had been used by many anti-LGBT people in pride fests when they tell us "don't force the public to see your homosexual lifestyle." It kind of ticks me off (not you, just the way that logic works)

8. 741852963

I could sort of see the point about nudity in very public places (in restaurants, work environment etc) and on public transport. But this guy is just someone walking rural country paths - I don't really see the problem.

Our ancient ancestors used to roam about the countryside in the buff, why should no man or woman ever experience that freedom every again if they want to? I'm not personally a naturist but I do support this guy.

I think a lot of the decisioning in his case has come down to a rather sexist view that the male body is inherently "disgusting", "offensive" or "predatory" in appearance. "Think of the children!" and "what if vulnerable women see him!". Not good enough arguments in my opinion.

9. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest