1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Merkel may withdraw support for UK in EU

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by PatrickUK, Nov 3, 2014.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    #1 PatrickUK, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  2. laut

Out Status:
    A few people
    Are there any ramifications for us not being part of the EU?

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends who you ask. I'd say the ramifications are huge.

4. King

This is good news, this means that the only way the UK can control its borders if through leaving the EU via a referendum.

Its also quite amusing that some people still deny that the EU is not a German colony with Merkel calling all the shots.

Thanks to this fat cow and the 1.7BN EUR demand from the UK most people now support leaving the EU.

5. laut

Out Status:
    A few people
    Can I ask for an elaboration on that?

I've heard so much about 'wahh the EU is bad for brits (because it's ok for them foreign people to be ruled from abroad but not US!)*' but so little about what leaving might mean beyond controlling our own borders.

*I understand this is a simplification. If you're for leaving the EU, but that's not your reason, then I'm equally interested to know.

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not surprising - the UK is always at odds with literally every other European country. We're not special or exceptional in any way, so it's no wonder leaders are growing increasingly sick of our antics.

But yes, polls now show support for the UK leaving the EU - obviously a knee-jerk reaction to the money we have to stump up - even though we ourselves have benefited from this very system in the past when our economy was in the pits and growing sluggishly (and, of course, the famous UK rebate - which nobody ever mentions anymore for some reason - even though other member states pay for it - including those considerably poorer than us).

Then again, we are talking about the general public - they are, by and large, spectacularly stupid, fickle and have short memories. As Churchill said - the best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Germany rules the roost in the EU - or at least the Eurozone - but only because we are reluctant to participate. We could be a counterbalance to German dominance - and this is why the EU was formed in the first place. British isolationism at its worst.

The UK leaving the EU would be a big reason for me to leave the UK. It seems our leaders are determined to turn this country into some sort of pariah state. Part of me wants it to happen so those spunking at the thought of a 'Brexit' can see the repercussions of their stupid, poorly thought-out ideas, but a part of me is fearful and concerned for the direction we're heading.

#6 imnotreallysure, Nov 3, 2014
  7. King

Britain is not special in any way and has never claimed to be, neither is Norway and it has done well being outside of the EU yet has forged a strong trade relationship with the rest of Europe.

The cash sum asked is simply pathetic, Greece got a 70M demand despite being in recession for six years. With the Eurozone being a major reason for this recession may I add, so this calculation is simply absurd.

The question is why do we have to pay all these billions of pounds anyway? Some people don't understand that we can be part of a trading bloc, but being part of a political union is unnecessary and very costly. The EU is very inward looking and is so pathetic that is had yet to reach a real trading deal with the US whilst many smaller countries have.

It is a fallacy that Britain could overturn German dominance of the EU, France has very little say despite being a major Eurozone country.

Interesting use of the word democracy, I don't see anything democratic about the Irish people seeking the German Chancellor's approval of their budget, or the EU and IMF constant interference of the internal affairs of Greece.

The cosmopolitan brigade along with the millionaire elite cannot explain the success of countries that are not in the EU yet who trade with the EU. The fact that some of the worlds fastest growing economies are not in a political union speaks volumes.

Yes I bet Europeans are sick of our moaning, but euro scepticism is prevalent in France when those nutters in FN won the Euro elections and many other countries like Italy voted for euro sceptic parties. It is just that Britain is slightly more ahead of the rest, just like how Scotland is further along the independence process than Wales.

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Changed the prefix for you. :slight_smile:

9. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Norway must accept all EU laws and regulations with no say on how they are made - how many times does this point have to be repeated before it sinks in. You complain about the EU being undemocratic and propose a situation which is considerably worse. This idea hasn't really been thought out, has it? Norway's success is not tied to its position outside the EU - it is tied to vast oil reserves. We could have been as successful - but your dear Thatcher pissed the oil money up the wall.

Germany is the largest so has the biggest voice - naturally - but France and Britain combined outweigh it both in population and GDP, and have more seats collectively in Strasbourg. Britain is more interested in hanging on the sidelines, whereas France's leaders favour more integration. There is no reason for Germany to be 'in charge' - except German willingness to take control and effectively bankroll poorer nations.

In any case, where would Britain find itself outside the EU? At the mercy of much larger nations and a considerably reduced voice.

#9 imnotreallysure, Nov 3, 2014
  10. King

Norway must accept SOME of the E.U laws, around 1/3 according to the Telegraph. If they left the Economic Area then it would be even less as they would sign individual bilateral agreements. They also have to pay only 340M to the EU per year whilst we pay 11.6BN and counting, it seems like a bargain considering they are taking advantage of the free market without being part of the agricultural policy and other daft policies such as foreign aid.

It is interesting that both Britain and France opposed Mr Junckers appointment, but Germany ignored both countries and eventually France had to cave in.

Germany should have to bankroll smaller nations as their stupid Eurozone project has caused many economies to crash, but now these smaller countries are being controlled by Merkel.

When it comes to trade partnerships Britain has no voice at all as everything is negotiated on an EU level, so if we left at least we could make our own bilateral agreements.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Germany is doing something. Surprised nobody has made that joke, yet.

Am I Reich?