1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News NI bakery facing legal action for refusing cake

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by PatrickUK, Nov 5, 2014.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From BBC News:
    BBC News - 'Gay cake' legal challenge to begin against Ashers Baking Company

A Northern Ireland bakery is facing legal action for refusing to supply a pro-gay marriage cake.

What makes this case interesting is that Northern Ireland is exempt from the provisions of the 2013 Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act, but the NI Equality Commission is bringing the case on the grounds of discrimination in supply or goods and services.

2. RainDreamer

3. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have very mixed feelings on this kind of subject. On the one hand, I'd be wildly offended if I went to a bakery for a gay wedding cake, or to a T-shirt place for some pride tees, and was refused service because they were gay-themed and the owner had a problem with that. But on the other hand, if I owned a bakery or T-shirt place and someone from the Westboro Baptist Church came in wanted a cake or a tee made that said GOD HATES FAGS, would I want to be forced to do it for them? It goes both ways, and there's no easy answer.

4. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I thought this was dealt with already but Yeah I'm kind of torn on it too.
    If it's against their religious views then you can't really expect them to do it. If the cake wasn't gay related then that'd be a different story. But since it was, it's them refusing to make a cake that goes against their religion, Not them not providing a service to someone who happens to be gay.

5. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The law is the law, hiding behind a religious text does not give you the right to pick & choose which laws you obey. I don't see why we should be an exception as far as this kind of thing is concerned.