1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Alex from Target: Sexist double standards?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by MintberryCrunch, Nov 6, 2014.

1. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is another thread about "Alex from Target", but this is a slightly different issue.

For those who do not know, "Alex from Target" was a viral Twitter sensation in which an attractive teenage guy's picture was taken (without his knowledge) and posted online. It quickly became viral and very popular with teenage girls and grown women.

Now there is some debate as to whether or not a marketing company purposefully spread the photo as an experiment, but the issue remains the same: a "creepshot" of a guy goes viral and it's "cute" and "innocent". If it had been a teenage girl, would people be saying the same thing? Or would it just be "creepy" and "pervy" because men were gawking at her?

Plot of #AlexFromTarget thickens - CNN.com

2. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I found it more amusing than anything else that somebody could become an instant celebrity doing absolutely nothing at all, but yeah, I do think there is a double standard here. I can't say I've read more than a couple of actual articles about this whole thing, but I guarantee if it was a young girl photographed without her consent there would be a lot written about it and it would largely be condemning of everybody involved. Who knows though -- maybe the tone would be different if this kid reacted differently instead of having fun with it.

For what it's worth I don't think it matters one bit whether or not the whole thing was started by a marketing company. Either way, thousands of people latched on to it and made it a big thing very, very quickly.

3. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I didn't even think of that, but yes it is a double standard. It would be considered incredibly perverted to take a picture of a young girl then have everyone on the Internet say how attractive she is.

4. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the responses. I am not actually bothered by the event and I think it's cool that he reacted so positively and even went on the Ellen show. But I do think it's unlikely the reaction would've been the same if he had been female.

5. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

:lol:

No offence but what's so interesting about him?

6. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^ That's kind of the point. Nothing at all (that we're aware of anyways) except that he's attractive. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I can't say I really mind this particular case because it seems to have turned into a positive thing for Alex. I know there are probably some creepy things written about him, but overall it must be a nice ego-boost. I'm not really comfortable with the idea of taking pictures of strangers without their consent and posting them for the whole world to comment, but at least this time it seems like nobody got hurt which is good.

7. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    He's pretty damn cute (no pedo), and the fact that he's captured without notice adds to perceived innocence.

8. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

He's not cute to me :lol: oh and if it was a cute girl of course there could be a problem. A lot of people take gawking to the next level if its a cute girl. Not trying to sound harsh but it's kind of true! From what I've observed anyway.

9. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    A creepshot is a creepshot regardless. So yes, I think it is.

10. photoguy93

I still don't get how he got so famous. An article I read said "hunky" and I'm like "WHAT?!" THAT PIPSQUEAK IS A HUNK?" Seriously, I laughed hard. He's not incredibly cute...just don't get it.

In terms of a double standard, I think that it goes both ways. I think people assume guys won't care and that guys will love the attention.

11. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

Srsly, you think "alex" wasnt aware that he was going to become targets inerwebnet dude?
    Sure man, and "19 kids and counting " only do their show for god. No endorsements or compensation there .......much
    Its only a creepshot if its done surreptitiously.

#11 Kriskluwe, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  12. 741852963

It is a double standard for sure.

In the UK we also had "TubeCrush" - where women take candid photos of unsuspecting men they find attractive on public transport and post and rate them online. If reversed it would be instantly labelled as misogynistic, but I recall some women calling it "empowering" and an "expression of female sexuality".

13. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always find that attitude incredibly disturbing.

14. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I agree I find it to be extremely creepy. I don't understand why snapping shots of a guy and also sexualizing him is someone more 'okay'.

15. Nightshade

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I personally think that, while the reactions would definitely be worse if this was a girl, it is equally wrong. I don't really see the big deal either, I mean he's cute and all but so are a lot of people. Also I think that the reason there's this double standard is because most women (especially those who have been on the receiving end of catcalls) would see a female version of events as sexual harassment. What these women fail to realize is that it works both ways. I think that the photo should have been taken down though, or something should have been done, because whether the guy went along with it or not it's still wrong. Just my opinion though.

16. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

I always find the attitude that women are made to serve men disturbing. Really gross btw. Because there are women out there like myself who don't find many things attractive about guys. They can look nice but I don't like how their mind works :slight_smile: not hating just my opinion :slight_smile:

17. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think he's very cute. Although... I'd be super pissed if someone took a picture of me during work then made me an Internet sensation without my consent.

18. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, conventionally attractive + young + unsuspecting pictures at work seem like a recipe for future memes.

19. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He is SO cute :love: however, if you're going to take a picture of somebody, ask their permission. Especially if you plan to put it online. I can't support clandestine shots of people handled in this way.

20. ChameleonSoul

I think this whole thing is so pervy! If I saw someone taking a picture of me and putting it on the Internet without my consent, well, you can bet that things would end badly. This is creepy no matter the gender of the person, so yes, it's a double standard.