1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

African Americans and Gays--Similar?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Noah, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Noah

I just finished watching the Great Debaters,
    and couldn't help but notice the similarities between glbt and african american struggles.
    Obviously there are major differences, but what are the similarities?

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Both are perceived as being of a lower social status than straight or caucasion people. Both have been discriminated against in housing, jobs, and even with marriage rights. Both have been victims of religious oppression. Those are some of the things I can think of that are similiar.

3. Noah

just thought of one.
    People have been killed for being gay as well as for being African American
    not as many, but still...

4. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Native Americans, women, blacks, hispanics, and gays are the greatest victims in history. No doubt about that. Anyone who is not a white heterosexual Christian male has been discriminated against at some point, and I happen to break half of those "rules" for the "model American".

5. skwidge

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow I had this thought the other day. Oh just in case you didn't know, New Zealand was the first country to give women the right to vote, in 1893 :icon_bigg go us! Wander makes a very good point, and I totally agree. But it is good to see that these discriminations are breaking down. Women, non-white and non-Christian people all have the same rights as white Christian men in New Zealand now. Nothing is thought of these differences now, they are irrelevant. My hope is that one day, gays will fit into this category too. We have civil unions now, and that is a good step, but we still have a long way to go :confused:

6. Nova713

Nova713 Guest

This idea has crossed my mind before. Then I think of people who are of some other race or ethnicity and gay. It's almost like they become a double minority if such a thing exists.

7. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I used to know a black, lesbian, non-religious woman. I can't imagine what daily life is like for her.

8. Amy

Amy

we should make an "i second what becky said" smilie

9. Ronnie92

Sometimes I feel like a double minority and I'm sure every other minority here would agree. I mean I get enough just by being black add bisexuality to the mix and it's hard.The majority of people see GLBT people as white only. Thanks to you guys I don't feel that way anymore and I'm proud of everything that I am, but I know some others feel like I used to.

10. Markio

Don't forget about Jewish people! I mean there was the Holocaust, and the whole Moses thing...

Black people and gay people both are stereotypically good at dancing.:rolleyes:

11. musican

I agree with becky, but how about separate but equal. trying to make gay friendly schools and having civil unions instead of just having marriages.

it made me really sad and really mad when one african american boy said "look at Lindsay Lohan, the media attention messed her up and now she's gay". I cant believe that he can be so agaisnt people discriminating against blacks, but he can discriminate against gays.

#11 musican, Oct 26, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  12. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Are you proposing that "separate but equal" would be a good temporary fix to the homophobia problem? Because I couldn't disagree more. Maybe it's because I live in the deep south, but I have lots of experience with racially segregated schools, and they do not work. And if you haven't been reading, civil unions are still a few rights short of being equal to marriage. "Separate but equal" is never the way to go, because separate will never be equal. It presents a clear, definitive message - "We'll let them have civil rights, but we don't want to put up with them".

13. kramer362

Any minority really has been discriminated against to varying degrees. Its amazing how blind people can become to human decency and common sense because of some ancient religious text that most very loosely follow anyway. That and the fact that weird things sometime become the norm and people don't have the balls to defy whats popular.

14. Noah

Good responses! I agree that separate and equal is not the way to go. I prefer plain old equal!