1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News HSBC UK boss says business leaders have a ‘huge personal responsibility’ to come out

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by 741852963, Nov 10, 2014.

1. 741852963

Just saw this brief article:

HSBC UK boss says business leaders have a ‘huge personal responsibility’ to come out · PinkNews.co.uk

Have to say I wholeheartedly disagree with Antonio Simoes on this one.

Whilst I think LGBT CEOs who are open about their sexuality or gender identity may provide benefit or inspiration to young people or others, I definitely don't think they should feel "obligated" to publicly come out. At the end of the day they are just doing a job, and they deserve to be able to keep their private life private if they so wish (just as any straight person would be able to do).

I actually think its rather disgusting that we are placing this guilt or burden onto gay people in these roles, stating they "have to" become gay role models or activists - what happened to free choice? Heres an analogy: I myself could have probably used my life in a better way, helping more people along the way; I could have dedicated my life to charity, donated all my material wealth to those in need...should I be shamed for not doing so? No, of course not. I'm allowed to make my own choices in life (provided I don't harm anyone) and likewise I feel gay people in positions of power should have the same freedom.

Again, it would be a "nice" thing if we did have more open CEOs to inspire the youth (although I don't think its 100% "necessary", afterall the CEOs in questions likely had no gay role models in their careers), but I don't think we should pressurize these people into taking on additional responsibility purely because they happen to be gay. Let them get on with their job if they want.

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: HSBC UK boss says business leaders have a ‘huge personal responsibility’ to come

I totally think it's bullshit. I'm in a profession where coming out is severely to my detriment and I'm not ready to make a huge splash yet... Although if I could make an impression as an openly transgender teacher that would be fantastic but I'm not someone on par with Rosa Parks on equality struggles...

3. 741852963

Re: HSBC UK boss says business leaders have a ‘huge personal responsibility’ to come

And I think you shouldn't have to.

To me, true equality is having the same rights and freedoms as the non-discriminated group. Straight businesspeople are not obligated to broadcast their family dynamic or become warriors for social justice. Its nice if they do but they don't have to. Same should go for LGBT people.

Its like saying all female business leaders should be obligated to volunteer at women's centres, fundraise for breast cancer and give career talks to young girls in their spare time etc. Again, nice if they do want to do these things, but very condescending to say they must as they "have a responsibility towards other women". They don't.

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I feel like I've got a pretty clear sense of the temperature on this one here on the board. So I will go out on a limb here and say that I agree with him. I think everyone, gay or straight, has a "huge personal responsibility" to live a genuine life of honesty and truth. Does this mean everyone must do it? Of course not. I think there is a huge personal responsibility to live a life of kindness and charity and most people don't--it is what it is. I think it's unfortunate that when we talk about moral obligation we set the bar so low.

I understand that there are people whose safety and/or ability to provide the essentials would be compromised by coming out--I highly doubt there are any CEOs in their number and frankly I think in general there are a lot fewer people in that category than like to pretend they belong there. If one is not genuinely amongst that number and complains about the prevalence of homophobia and yet are not open about one's own life sometimes I wonder if one really has the right to complain. The most powerful thing any of us can do to make things right for themselves as an LGBT person and for those who come after and frankly to respect the sacrifices of those who came before is to be open and honest with those around us. I sometimes grow tired of those who complain about the progress of the battle and yet refuse to take to the trenches...

Just my two cents...