1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News New LGBT historical marker - Russia

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by NaomiB, Nov 10, 2014.

1. NaomiB

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  2. DoriaN

I thought I read another another couple doing this exact same thing but a few months ago.

Regardless I don't personally see how it is a historical marker, rather I don't see it changing or affecting much if anything besides hostilities from 1st and 2nd parties.

3. NaomiB

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Perhaps not but it is an LGBT couple married in Russia which is pretty cool.

4. AlamoCity

It's pretty nice, but one of the brides' documentation for ID listed her as "male," so it was "technically" a heterosexual wedding.

I wonder if there have been other weddings performed in Russia where one party was trans, but still had their documentation listing them by their birthsex and was able to get married.

5. Summer Rose

This news is fairly old, but I wonder what these idiots will do to try and bullshit their way out of saying the wedding is legal. See, either the law has to admit that one is transgendered, or has to accept them being a lesbian couple. If they deny one being trans, then the law cannot punish them for being opposite sex. If the law admits the marriage is SS, they have to recognize transgender/sexual as being legitimate.

6. NaomiB

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    According to the article this couple did just get married... but I guess at the end of the article a Gay rights campaigner Nikolay Alekseev said this.... "This is an old story, there had been such cases before. A certain gender is written in a passport, but how they dress for the wedding is their business," he added. So I guess it's not a first...perhaps the first decently publicized same-sex Russian marriage though perhaps.

Here's an answer for you Summer: here is the name of the i***t: Vitaly Milonov
    Here is the article regarding this new marrage: BBC News - Russian lawmaker Vitaly Milonov angry at 'same-sex wedding'
    And here is some the text from the article:

A legislator in the Russian city of St Petersburg has said he will seek to annul a marriage between two women, one of whom was born male.

Vitaly Milonov, an opponent of gay rights, said the wedding on Saturday was an "insult" to Russian families.

Gay marriage is banned in Russia, but the couple were not denied a ceremony because according to their passports one is a man, the other a woman.

'Insult to millions'

The couple, named as Irina Shumilova and Alyona Fursova, arrived at a register office in St Petersburg, both wearing white bridal dresses and carrying bouquets.

They posted pictures of the ceremony on the Russian social media site Vkontakte.

Irina, who describes herself as transsexual rather than transgender, is still undergoing hormone therapy.

Mr Milonov - one of the most ardent supporters of the 2013 law - told Russian media the staff at the registry office should be tried for treason or criminal negligence.

He would seek the marriage's annulment to avoid "an ugly insult to millions of Russian families in the future", he added.

"There are certain moral standards which it is vital to implement," he said. "These mad people should be banned altogether from getting married."

---------------------------------
    Insult to a few perhaps but not millions :slight_smile:

LOL to that last part

7. Summer Rose

I read the article; I may have been thinking of a story where this happened somewhere else (couple who used this same double-descrimination loophole), if so, my bad.

As for my latter statement, that refers to how active the russian government will be now that this little loophole is brought to the forefront. They aren't really doing anything about it yet, just a bunch of woulds and shoulds.

8. Stromer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The article itself looks great but... I've got a lot of acquaintances in Russia and they're not really optimistic about the news noticing that in fact the marriage was heterosexual. And as a person who knows what's going on in that country I wonder if the marriage was permitted just to show the world how Russia 'tolerates' LGBT.

I mean, there're always those programs on the Russian TV about how being gay means being sick, articles telling people that homo couples abuse their children, jokes like "I still have my iPhone but mine is iPhone 4, it was made by Jobs... if you know what I'm talking 'bout" etc. So nothing changed.

Russia has a long way to go and it's still a living hell for open LGBT people. Anyway, I believe the new generation is going to change at least something for I've already made sure those open-minded guys are awesome!

P.S.: I suppose Vitaly Milonov along with some other russian deputies are schizophrenics. Seriously.

9. NaomiB

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Updated news from an article.....concerning this thread's subject matter:

Article text here:

St. Petersburg politician Vitaly Milonov is drafting a bill to eradicate a loophole in Russia's same-sex marriage ban after lesbian couple Irina Shumilova and Alyona Fursova tied the knot last Friday, reports Pink News.

Picture 6Russia's marriage laws don't recognize transgender identities and classify Russian citizens strictly by their sex at birth. Bride Irina Shumilova [middle], who was born male and now identifies as a woman, took advantage of the oppressive law and married her wife in a Russian registrars office while both wore wedding gowns.

Milonov called the clever move the couple pulled an "ugly insult to millions of Russian families" and announced Thursday that he plans on crafting a bill to eliminate the loophole.

Milonov told Russian newspaper The Izvestia his reasoning behind his new oppressive bill:

Milonov"At present… there is a dress code by which everyone must abide when visiting state institutions. Therefore, one should not dress inappropriately when visiting (any) event associated with a change in one’s civil status.

"It’s a matter of culture and education… We will not allow people dressed in clothes [associated] with the opposite sex or beach clothes to register their marriage at the registry office. Except for when that clothing is an element of their culture or of ethnic origin."

Milonov is also calling for Apple CEO Tim Cook to be banned from entering Russia over fears that he would bring AIDS or Ebola into the country. St. Petersburg was the first city in Russia to pass an ordinance banning "Gay propaganda," with the rest of the nation following suit modeling and passing similar legislation based on the city's ordinance.

Shumilova and Fursova are not the first couple to circumvent Russia's same-sex marriage ban, however. In August, couple Allison Brooks and Alina Davis bypassed the law as well because Davis identifies as androgyne, but the Russian government considers Davis as male reports Pink News. Both wore wedding dresses when they signed the application papers even though registrars asked them not to.

--------------------------------------------------
    Russia may ban "Gay Propaganda" but I don't think Empty Closets does :wink:

---------- Post added 15th Nov 2014 at 01:57 PM ----------

..... (Just a reference to my "Gay Propaganda" "Fake LGBT News:Russia and Alabama get same sex marriage" thread )

#9 NaomiB, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  10. NaomiB

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    "Gay russian marriage propaganda art is something I don't have anything against because I support all people having the right to marry whoever they want" -Marklar Marklar, one of the members of the Marklar government.

Marklar Marklar, one of my friends, another member of the Russian government, suggested this book to read:

http://www.amazon.com/Gay-Propaganda-Russian-Love-Stories-ebook/dp/B00J7XJBWO

Marklar - "Hey, Marklar, guess what?"
    Marklar - "Yea?"
    Marklar - "I gave Vladimir Putin and Vitaly Milonov a high five yesterday, it was awesome, I felt so powerful"
    Marklar - "Sweet, nice going Marklar!"
    Marklar - "Hey Marklar, I've got something to tell you, I think I'm in love with Vitaly...do you think I should ask him out?"
    Marklar - "I dunno you better be careful, I'm not to familiar with his views on things, I know he doesn't like gay marriage...just be careful. Try to be nice to him and maybe one day he might change his views, and maybe even experiment with his sexuality if that is something he is interested in doing. Just know that if he does turn you down, perhaps he is not gay and that isn't his or your fault ...his sexual orientation is his own"
    Marklar - "Ok, I'll be careful"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzq4YDt7V-o

#10 NaomiB, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014