1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Florida man arrested for feeding homeless

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Damien, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Believe it or not, this is actually true. Maybe he should have said to the officer, "hold it - I've got a risotto, and I'm not afraid to use it".

#1 Damien, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  2. photoguy93

I so admire doing that. We need to help one another and should do it any way we can.

That being said....I don't think we should look at the officers like they killed a small kitten! There is a law. This man, although a kind soul, was given multiple citations. Officers can't change the laws - I feel that we should be looking at whatever idiot passed this ordinance, especially since this man has apparently been doing this for years.

I'll reiterate what I've said - I don't think he should have been arrested, but I can't say something bad about someone who was doing their job.

3. Hexagon

That someone could be punished for giving food to someone in need of it, that a law could exist criminalising the provision of this basic human need, one that paints the homeless as caged animals in a zoo is an absolute disgrace and an affront to the most basic human dignity on every level.

As for the arresting cops in question, following the law is no excuse as far as I'm concerned. The law is unjust, and any public servant, as police are purported to be must act in the public interest and for the good of humanity. It isn't unheard of for prosecutions to take place, even when a crime has taken place, and cops should have the freedom to at least make the determination as to whether arrest is warranted.

4. Quiet Raven

Yeah I made a topic about this earlier actually.

It is just a sad, sad, world we live in where laws like this get passed. If I were a cop, I would probably quit if I had to enforce a law like that. Move and be a cop somewhere else. Try to find a government that isn't completely evil.

5. Melanie

Melanie Guest

I'm sorry but why cant the cops just pretend they didnt see it? They do that with all sorts of other things.. kidding (kinda). It just seems like such a ridiculous waste of resources to even enforce such an ordinance.

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What would Jesus do? This story really breaks my heart.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How dare he help people in poverty survive.

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It all comes from the conservative idea that poor people are that way by their own choosing, and by not helping them, that's their punishment and maybe someday they'll choose to be millionaires. As Marco Rubio so eloquently put it, "Don't feed the strays, otherwise they'll come back."

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sadly, laws like this are being passed in more and more US cities. I think we now have 30 to 50 cities with such laws.

AwesomGaytheist has it right: With these kooky new Republicans, it's not enough just to cut off government help, they have to take it a step further and get people to cut off private aid. I'm surprised the Republicans just don't shoot poor people, at this point. But to be fair, it's not just Republicans; even in some rich, liberal areas around SF, they have such laws.

#9 HuskyPup, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  10. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a libertarian that has no problem with people feeding the homeless as well as government helping those who are truly in need.