1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Stupid Shirt Ruins Comet Landing, Apparently

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by LimitedClear, Nov 16, 2014.

1. LimitedClear

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay! So we landed a probe on a comet for the first time, which is amaaaazing, and I'm so proud. But then some reporter decided to interview one of the guys involved, who had the worst timing in the world, and was wearing this hideous shirt.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kellyoakes/comet-landing-scientist-shirt

Dude has since apologized and was brought to tears, and honestly I just don't think he THOUGHT before he put that shirt on, "Wait, we're doing something monumental and historical and may be filmed, I should wear something without mostly naked women all over it." Furthermore, the reporter who spoke to him could have easily gone "Wait, this is a monumental historical event, I should tell this guy to take off that offensive shirt before I film him, or maybe film the woman who helped achieve this instead, since there has been a drive lately to get more young girls interested in science."

But neither person thought those things. And many people are offended by his shirt. But many more people are saying that "IT'S JUST A SHIRT!" and the people offended should stop talking now please.

Personally, I think the shirt in question was a case of poor judgement, wouldn't have been acceptable in virtually any other work environment, and that the reporter made a big mistake in choosing to document the shirt that overshadowed the more important story. But what do you guys think?

By the way, this is the woman who was involved on the project. I wish they had chosen to interview her instead, after seeing that shirt...

instead of the lady with the shiny butt. - Imgur

2. RedSwiss

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think its all a bit over the top. They talk about how the shirt is covered in "half-naked" women, but there is only 1 image of a woman on there that could be described as "half-naked", the other images of women all show them wearing long dresses, comparable to what you would see at a classy ballroom party. and as for the "half-naked" ones, thats nothing worse than you'd see in Vegas.

Last time I checked, ballroom dresses didn't "objectify" women, but then again, everything is "objectifying" these days. She eats a slice of cake in a public café, shes a sex object. She walks into a bank, shes oppressed. She sneezes, shes a victim of abuse.

The Feminism in this case is over the top, although the argument "Its just a shirt." is valid, its what is printed on the shirt that matters, and in this case...Fuck all is printed on the shirt. Feminists trying to make a situation out of nothing. If these Feminists think a ballroom dress is "Slutty" or "Objectifying", they'd need to wrap themselves in 8 rolls of rubber wallpaper so nobody can see their skin...and hopefully so they suffocate...

Case closed, man is not a rampaging misogynist because he wore a pretty shirt.

3. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Why people would care about something so insignificant when scientific history is being made is beyond me.

4. Hexagon

Oh, who cares? It isn't like it 'ruined' anything.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What, did the shirt prevent the probe from landing?

6. 741852963

Storm in a teacup. Especially the commentators suggesting he is the very reason women don't go for these jobs as the shirt promotes misogyny/rape culture/domestic violence or whatever.

I could just as easily state the shirt "promotes a heterosexual norm" and is thus putting off gay people from entering the industry....but I won't. Why? Because 1) I'm not an over-sensitive moron always looking to be a victim, and 2) It just isn't.

At the end of the day you have to accept that these STEM industries attract people who you might consider to be "geeks", who may be quirky (just like Einstein was) or be so devoted to their work that they don't care about fashion or looking a bit silly. I think there is a rather sinister undercurrent in the feminist discussion about making the career more "glamorous" to appeal to women. If you read between the lines what they are essentially saying is "women are put off because there are geeky people working there, and so we need to hide them out of sight or make them look/act/behave less geeky to make women more comfortable".

Now onto the shirt itself. Hideous (although I do like the colours!). They clearly have an open dress policy and whilst not to my taste, the shirt isn't really sexist as its not promoting women in a negative light (and isn't an opinion to the contrary "slut shaming"?). Its a sci-fi themed shirt being worn at a space station - probably more fitting than most lines of work! If he had a shirt stating "I hate women" or "Men are better than women" then I'd definitely understand the outrage. As it stands, nope.

I am actually saddened to see him in tears apologizing, I think he is now the victim here. He contributed to something great but was instead turned into the devil incarnate by online lynch mobs for wearing a shirt given to him by a woman.

#6 741852963, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  7. RAdam

Oh god, feminazi's got to him.

8. LimitedClear

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think the guy is a raving misogynist, honestly. I think he just made a stupid mistake with the shirt, and honestly, that's why dress codes exist in most professions. I'd much rather know more about the comet.

I think you might have a slightly misinformed view of feminism, though. And my impression is that the feminist backlash over this shirt has led to another backlash against feminists, which also concerns me.

I don't think the shirt deserves this much controversy. It was a poor choice to wear it on THAT DAY, and it was a poor choice to interview him without suggesting he change shirts! Either the reporter didn't understand that it was inappropriate, which I doubt, or she saw it as something that may sensationalize the story, which I hate. I don't think he deserves the treatment he got, and it hurts that something like this has overwhelmed his team's accomplishment.

That being said, no, women who choose to wear ballgowns, eat cake, go to the bank, or sneeze are not "objectified". Girls who are told "you can't wear a tank top to school because boys can't concentrate" are being objectified. Women who get paid less than men, 14 year old girls who are told they "knew what they were doing" when they had sex with their 28 year old teacher are objectified. There are real concerns that feminists are trying to address, and some of them do involve men who act offensively in professional environments. This particular case, however, seems to be a bad example of that.

As a feminist, it is more disappointing to me that the very accomplished woman, who was an integral part of this accomplishment, was not interviewed when she was an option. Seeing a confident, intelligent woman in her position would have been inspiring to young girls with an interest in science or mathematics. Barring that, not interviewing the guy with the shirt that anyone could see was inappropriate for national TV would have been nice. Then maybe people would concentrate on the monumental achievement instead of tearing each other up.

9. 741852963

I think it would be patronising for her to be picked not because of her amazing intellect but more due to her being a woman and not wearing a funny shirt. Where do we decide to draw the line. Should STEM industries only have female spokespersons moving forward?

I don't get this "inspiring to young girls" argument. Many people are successful in their careers despite not having cookie-cutter role models in the field that completely mirror their background (hell some have no role models and are just true innovators). Why should inspiration be limited to seeing someone exactly like you? Can men not be inspired by women? White people by black people? Straight people by gay people? Or vice versa? I myself find Claudette Colvin incredibly inspiring yet am not a straight, black female.

If feminism is so concerned with providing same-gender role models why has there been so little discussion on how this is not being done for young boys in school (as the vast majority of early years teachers are female) - surely on that logic this would be "putting boys off education"? Or is it just brushed under the carpet as it now gives girls an advantage?

Ultimately I think it is unfair and innacurate for this one guy to be scapegoated by the media as the "reason" many women don't go into STEM work, purely because he wore a stupid shirt one day. If people are that easily offended, then perhaps such a demanding position isn't for them anyway.

10. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is exactly what I thought when I read the title to this thread!

11. Hexagon

Same, actually.

12. LimitedClear

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    She does have an amazing intellect. She was on the project. She could have been interviewed in lieu of the guy with the unfortunate shirt. I'm not saying she deserved it more because she was a woman. I'm saying it would have been nice if they had chosen her.

As for the "cookie cutter" part of the quote, many fields are dominated by one particular sex, or they LOOK that way from the outside, because media attention focuses on one sort of individual. Male nurses and teachers are more common now, but yes, those are fields where it seems men are not represented in equal amounts. However, there are also fields in science and math where women are not represented.

The woman on the project is not "exactly like" the girls who may be inspired, nor does she need to be. She's not even "exactly like" me. But she IS an accomplished, intelligent woman who has made science her calling.

Feminism is not, and SHOULD not be, women getting over on men. Equality is the goal. Not lowering standards, but applying them fairly. This guy isn't the reason women are not represented there, and I did not say that. I don't think he was treated fairly either, he made a stupid choice, and so did the reporter who interviewed him. It did not deserve to get blown up to this magnitude, and the argument is doing harm to him, to the real story, and to everyone who is flipping out over it, feminist or not.

13. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Totally agree with this.

14. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A huge scientific accomplishment is made and all anyone cares about is the shirt, this is why I hate social media

15. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One day last week before I went to work, some woman on a news program was talking about a Kim Kardashian picture and some Honey Boo Boo controversy, and a male news anchor commented with something about "Uh, they just landed on a comet. Hello?" implying why the heck are they even covering those stories.

16. Mangaholic

Mangaholic Guest

It's a shirt.

#16 Mangaholic, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2014
  17. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a feminist, I wonder when we can please be concerned about something of actual consequence, like discrimination and harassment in the technology sector.

18. RainDreamer

Feels like some people trying to make something big out of nothing. Some people wear things not because they are trying to make a statement. They just wear whatever is available for them.

19. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This.

I don't care about his shirt at all. Not one bit. It is 100% an overreaction; he should not have even had to apologize. People are so obsessed with meaningless shit that doesn't matter that they have completely lost sight of the big picture and the real issues. Some people thrive off making mountains out of molehills.

20. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally agree with this part. THIS is what feminists should be looking at and getting angry at over, if anything. This part actually says something, and it doesn't say it about the guy who landed the comet, it says something about the reporters. The reporters who had the option to interview a very successful woman, and chose not to. The people who have the power of representation. I think if they had gone with the choice, not only would we just be looking at the monumental achievement, but we'd also see the greatness that this woman did. THAT would be a step towards feminism.