1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News New twin study provides further evidence for genetic origin to homosexuality

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Chip, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    An interesting study of a large sample of non-identical twins makes the strongest case yet for a genetic origin for homosexuality.

I still wonder what epigenetic factors are at work, and the researcher says there is a lot more work to be done to break it down to a single gene or genes, but it is yet another nail in the coffin of the 'it's a choice' ignoramuses.

Edit: it turns out the study is *not* non-identical twins, but pairs of brothers. As far as I know, there would not be much difference here, except that it would not rule out hormonal factors during pregnancy. Here is the actual journal citation.

2. Water lover

Water lover Guest

Yea so I am a twin and I am pretty sure my brother is gay too lol.

3. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Pretty sure it's just the lack of hormone exposure that causes homosexuality in 1 twin. Previous studies shows that 70% of the time, 1 twin is gay while the other is straight because 1 baby gets exposed to more hormones than the other.

Homosexuality appears to work in a similar way as left/right handedness. It doesn't occur through genes, but it is something causes at birth. The brain is affected which causes the change.

4. Andronas

It's wonderful that we have this evidence to support the cause. Reading the article and noting the specificity mentioned in it about which areas could possess the genes made me wonder, though, if detractors would want to support genetic alteration or conscious deselection to eradicate future gay guys. Science is awesome, but it has to be used well. :/

5. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm an identical twin and my sister is gay and I am bi.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We definitely know a priori it can't be one gene with two alleles.

#6 Pret Allez, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I although this makes me happy , it scares me a bit because if they find that gene are parents now gonna start trying to find ways to stop their babies from being lgbt ?.

8. Acm

Acm Guest

I worry about that too :confused:

9. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did you even read the article?

10. RainDreamer

I am afraid of this too.

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm glad i'm not the only one sometimes I think it's better if they don't find it .
    I saw some report on the news once where some parents were giving their baby girls injections so they wouldn't grow up lesbian .
    I know if my parents knew they would do the same thing to me .

12. David21201

more test tube babies with the new anti-lgbt gene... god that sounds so frightening

13. RainDreamer

The heck? If this is genetic, wouldn't it already set in during conception? Injecting babies with stuff to prevent their sexual orientation change sounds dodgy for me.

I am more afraid of bigot using these evidences to propose eugenic programs to prevent LGBT childrens from being born.

14. neutron

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do they have the original research article for this?

15. Reptillian

And no to little evidence to date for support for an alternative hypothesis that in rare cases, it's neither born this way or it's a choice and such causes could be related to brain structure changes/neuroplasticity and even hormones to a extent which can happens at any age and alters sexual orientation on any age? And yet, researchers still think in the binary which is born/choice is and should be assumed to be applicable to everyone while there's no evidence to suggest that? All the evidence suggests that one of these can be the general rule, but not for everyone.

#15 Reptillian, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Fascinating.

And these results are not even with identical twins, yet I'm assuming both siblings are gay for them to come up with these results.

I'm not seeing percentages. However, I did see that the genome pattern was the same in all of the pairings, meaning 100%, in 2 specific areas of the brain - assuming I'm using the scientific vernacular correctly.

This is higher than the ~52% figure previously found for identicals and about ~20% figure found for fraternals in another key study.

Numbers scare the right wing types because, unless doctored, numbers don't lie.

17. Hexagon

Hmm, interesting.

18. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This makes sense. Few things are absolute, and it's entire plausible there are multiple factors that affect people in different ways.

19. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So it turns out the study is *not* non-identical twins, but pairs of brothers. As far as I know, there would not be much difference here, except that it would not rule out hormonal factors during pregnancy. This article has a more technical description of the study, and here is the actual journal citation.

20. Benway

Benway Guest

Okay, this is all well and good, but what about people who aren't a twin or people without siblings? Is this suggesting that I had a twin in my mother's womb with me and I devoured it or something and by doing so it contorted my sexuality?

I like how there's no scientific explanation for what should be something so simple to figure out. Part of me wants to say that the person's soul determines their sexuality, but there's no such thing as the human soul, and even if there was, we couldn't very well operate on it, could we?