1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conservative christians' views of homosexuality - Question

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by moonlake, Oct 9, 2008.

1. moonlake

Here's something I really don't get.

If you look around the internet or other media and read up on various churches' positions on homosexuality, you'll find a wide range of views, anywhere from complete acceptance to utter condemnation. What I don't understand about many conservative churches' position is that they never provide a logically coherent reason for them deeming homosexual acts a sin. The entire argument is almost invariably based on three main points :

1) The bible says so : see verse so and so

Ok. But – if the pure fact that a few verses say so is sufficient reason – why don't those churches then preach adherence to all those other rules, especially from the Old Testament, that most Christians seem quite happy to ignore ? What is so special about homosexuality ?

2) It's a choice.

probably one of the dumbest reasons I've ever heard. Even if it were a choice : why would it be a bad one ? Just because you're able to choose something, doesn't mean it's automatically wrong.

3) It's a sin.

This one is my favorite. You declare something a sin and then justify that designation with the fact that you've just declared it as such. Pretty nifty.

Honestly : I am quite an open-minded person and will accept almost any person's or groups' opinions if they are even remotely based on a rational argument. I might disagree, but am quite happy to accept that others may have differing opinions.
    There are so many moral and religious positions which can be backed up by an array of often differing rationale :

So why can't anyone ever come up with a reason for this one ??

2. lawlst

there is no reason.

though christians love to bring up the anatomical/biological aspect of things and how reproduction and such fits into that, they often forget that humans are mammals which sex not only for reproduction purposes, but also for pleasure (dolphins being the only other known mammal to sex for pleasure).

i personally think people have been bored throughout an amazing portion of history, which has in turn created religion, among other things.

this is all i have time for, i'm sorry

have you seen religulous? i wasn't the biggest fan in the audience, though homosexuality was often brought-up.

3. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree completely...religion has got to be the funniest, most interesting, and most depressing things humans have managed to invent. It's disturbing how many people have been driven into slavery, torture, suicide, and death because the Lawd Above commanded it, but it's also strangely amusing how many people really take this sh!t seriously. I would be the most open and accepting person in the world towards religion if they could just leave me alone and keep their hands out of the lawbooks, but they don't seem capable of doing that.

4. Nugget

The whole "it's unnatural" argument is a dud; when you look at a good portion of these conservatives, it's easy to see they're also going against nature when you get into studying various animal behaviours. Incest, cannibalism, and killing disabled offspring are three examples of things that happen in nature but most wouldn't go this far because we have a sense of morality and reason. But as long as someone goes against the supposed be-all-end-all of morality, such as releasing sexual desire with one's self, someone of the same sex, or someone out of marriage (three things which also happen within the animal kingdom), they're going against nature. It's a clear double-standard.

5. aaaaaa

aaaaaa Guest

Most people aren't homophobes because the Bible tells them to be-- they just use the Bible as an excuse to be homophobes. Also, have you ever noticed how much circular reasoning is involved in the religious argument against being gay?

Here's an example:

Me: "Why is being gay a sin?"
    Priest: "Because the Bible says so."
    Me: "Why does the Bible say so?"
    Priest: "Because God says so."
    Me: "How do you know God says so?"
    Priest: "Because it's in the Bible!"

Can you say fallacy? :dry: