1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Plebgate - the saga continues

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by 741852963, Nov 27, 2014.

1. 741852963

For those who managed to miss this ongoing drama, heres as brief a summary as I can manage:

1. A UK MP (Andrew Mitchell) was refused use of a certain gate in Downing Street by the police
    2. A brief altercation occurred with an exchange of words, where one of the policemen maintained Mr Mitchell had referred to him as a "pleb" (derogatory word denoting being common). The police maintained that this was a criminal offence.
    3. It was widely reported in the press and Mr Mitchell was forced to resign from his role
    4. A lengthy public enquiry ensued at the taxpayers expense and the police officer involved and the policeforce faced harsh criticism for supposedly acting with misconduct and framing a member of parliament (the PO allegedly made it all up, and the Met allegedly helped cover this up)
    5. Mr Mitchell sued the press for libel, and the police officer simultaneously sued Mr Mitchell for Libel
    6. Still keeping up?! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: AND NOW (*drumroll*): A high court judge has ruled that in fact Mt Mitchell did utter the word "pleb" because the police officer was "too stupid" to make up that term (ironically some may say thats a rather libelous remark in itself! :lol:slight_smile: and so he will have to pay the police officer a massive amount of damages for that libel: Andrew Mitchell

Dear lord this thing has dragged on! And has cost the taxpayers hundreds of thousands of pounds. All over ONE WORD. I swear you could turn this into a John Grisham style Hollywood film!

Now you know what, I have some sympathy for Mr Mitchell on this one. Firstly because I think this was blown way out of proportion and Mitchell's trial-by-media and forced resignation was particularly unpleasant. Secondly because I think the police involved needed to get a grip. I've been called far worse than "pleb" (a quite minor term) whilst at work - I haven't got the police involved because thats quite simply wasting police time, they should be cracking on with bigger issues. If anything the police officer is guilty himself of wasting police time and that should balance out any wrongdoing from Mr Mitchell.

And now Mr Mitchell has lost his job and well over £1million. The police officer gets his job back and a hefty lumpsum. And the taxpayers, well, who cares about us?

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The British Conservative Party, where it's now unacceptable to call working class people "plebs", but considered the done thing to damage the services they rely on and continue to enforce systematic snobbery and class-based social systems.

How progressive they are.

(I also find the snobbery of the judge unacceptable, but I know one too many judges in my own life to expect more of them)

#2 Aussie792, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  3. Hexagon

Yes, I did wonder if maybe the judge could be sued for libel. It would be a fitting end.

4. 741852963

Even if that costs the taxpayer more, I'd actually be fully in support of that for the sheer hilarity of the irony. :lol:

It would just be the most brilliantly British way to end this farce (a farce to end the farce!), like something out of Monty Python or The Thick of It. Go for it Mr Policeman! Your country needs you! :thumbsup:

5. Aldrick

Supported. That would be hilarious. Even better if another judge forces this judge to pay the same amount in damages.

6. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is really overblown I agree but I think it's pretty funny that there's actually a "gate" that involves gates. And one of the alternate names for it is Gategate. That's some hilarious shit right there.

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pleased the Judge found against Andrew Mitchell. I don't know if he actually used the word "pleb", but I am sure some profanity was used during the altercation with the Police Officer at the gates of Downing Street and he is being deservedly punished for that. The Judge seemed reasonably satisfied that the word (or words to the effect of) were used and so am I.

8. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't really matter if he used the word pleb - he swore at a police officer. Even swearing in public is an arrestable offence. I've seen people arrested for swearing at police officers - no reason why the same rule shouldn't apply to this individual. It's considered a public order offence.

The entire thing should have been sorted out when it first happened. The only reason this has been dragged out for as long as it has is because Andrew Mitchell is an MP and can try to get away with it, and has the financial means to do so.

But anyway, he comes across as a prick, so no sympathy from me.

#8 imnotreallysure, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  9. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Plebeian is an offensive word over there?

Also why the in the world can you be arrested for swearing in public?

England's an odd country

10. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It can be considered a public order offence - it can be considered threatening or intimidating behaviour. I've never heard of anyone being arrested just for swearing in public though - I hear swearing in public all the time, and I'm guilty of it too. But the point I was making is that you could, in theory, be arrested just for that - and swearing at a police officer is certainly enough to get you arrested.

The word pleb has annoyed people because of the person it came from, and the political party he is affiliated with.

#10 imnotreallysure, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  11. 741852963

I think for a bit of profanity, a public apology, a fine and a caution would be being "deservedly punished".

Losing your job due to a media storm really seems overkill.

Its the law yes, but I think its utterley ridiculous.

Having previously worked in a call centre dealing with people in dire circumstances (and quick to anger) I've had my fair share of verbal abuse thrown my way on the line, sometimes a LOT more serious than this police officer faced (intensely derogatory). If I phoned the police after each call and said "excuse me officer, this man called me a :***:, can you go and arrest him please?" I'd either be laughed at or arrested myself for wasting police time - not to mention I'd lose my own job for wasting my employer's time too. And so I really don't see why police officers deserve protection above that a normal person would receive.

And to be honest, I'd expect policemen (the guys supposedly keeping me safe from dangerous criminals) to have thicker skin and be less easily provoked by a swear word than I would be. If they are capable of being shaken or angered so much by a single word how are they going to cope with an armed gunman?

For that police officer deciding to take this one minor slur (not a threat) further (severely wasting police resources when police are cut short as it is) when it really wasn't necessary to, he is in the wrong as much as Mitchell.

For fairness sake I'll put myself in the policeman's shoes. Lets say I'm a police officer doing a quite important job and someone calls me a faggot. Would I arrest them on the spot or report them? Yes I'd be within my rights to, but no, no I would not. I would tell them they need to stop and calm down, explain the law to them, and only if they continued or began using threatening language would I proceed to take matters further.

12. LiquidSwords

Obviously it's significant if a politician calls someone a pleb it's pretty politically toxic for obvious reasons, especially coming from a con

13. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not saying that I agree with it - but if ordinary people get arrested all the time for swearing at police officers, then an MP is no different. The approach needs to be consistent or it shouldn't be enforced at all.

14. 741852963

Perhaps, but how do we know it was being used in the sense of "I'm upper class and your not" or "I'm richer than you"? Is it just because he's a Tory and so "must be a snob" - even as a Tory hater I think thats a bit harsh to come to that conclusion without knowing Mr Mitchell.

Growing up, pleb was a very common insult even in my working class area - it was just a replacement for idiot, imbecile or moron (not exactly the most cutting insults) - it does not necessarily bring class into it.

---------- Post added 29th Nov 2014 at 03:30 AM ----------

Thats the problem I have.

I think in most instances the police wouldn't exercise this power (they'd deal with it in a different manner - giving a caution etc), and the police essentially decided to make an example out of him.

Perhaps theres an element of the police officer wanting revenge - the conservatives generally aren't popular amongst the police force (particularly after the budget cuts). Call me cynical but I think there was definitely an element of "lets get one over on this prick" or "lets teach him a lesson".