1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Please, tell someone you know about this

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Michael, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I won't tell you what this is about, because I want you to feel what I felt.
    I want this to be known by every human being on earth.
    I really do.

Imgur needs to see this - Imgur

2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. Hexagon

That about sums it up.

4. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What is vile is all the other people around who just stood and watch it, as if it was a tv show. I've seen such things before : The standard reaction when there is a conflict is just watching.

Vile was also that nobody offered her a ride back home to avoid what happened later.

5. RainDreamer

It is the bystander effect. Sometimes people literally do not know what to do in face of something like that. They wait for someone else to step up, then follow, but never want to be the one to begin acting. That is why we call those who acts and save people "heroes". It is sad that the only heroine in this story was also a victim of senseless violence against women.

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can understand though - people want to avoid danger and conflict - it's human nature. Fight or flight. If everyone got involved then the thugs would have been outnumbered, but it's a case of one person being brave enough to get involved.

And, as we can see with that poor girl who got punched so hard she was rendered brain dead, getting involved in another person's conflict isn't always a smart thing to do. Sometimes the best thing to do is phone the police.

#6 imnotreallysure, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  7. Hexagon

The police come too late. As far as I'm concerned, people have a duty to intervene.

8. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is the point of the thread. I'm glad someone finally mentioned it.

It depends how you see it. What hit me is what I saw under the surface : Seeing what happened as an example of the epidemic, general cowardice around us.

No question that someone should call the cops before it gets nastier, but what about the rest of the bystanders there?

9. riptide226

*gets out of hole* rest in peace *Holds silent 24hour vigil* you did the right thing *goes back into hole and cries*

10. Candace

I guess his good looks are a pathetic attempt to cover up his evilness and just putrid excuse for a human being. I'm so sad to hear that this happened :frowning2:

11. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not gonna lie. I googled it to find sources before I allowed myself to rage. I can trust Vodkabaret, but I can't trust some of the internet! Alright, this is f**ked up. She was brave and this is the reward...!? Please forgive my primitive language, but she had more balls than her killer!

Worthless worms belong on the ground. Hell, garden earthworms are superior to this Sanel guy because at least they're hard little workers which benefit your garden. Even tapeworms have better reasons for their behaviour. This guy is infinitely more disgusting. I think he should spend the rest of his life in prison. Or at least the next 20 years and some rehabilitation program.

WTF is wrong with this world? We need a change of attitude. This is evil and we should be up in arms about it. I can't really blame people for staying out of it, but we need to work on how the public feels about these issues... then we should see a difference.

Unfortunately, sometimes the police do NOT care. Don't get me wrong, I respect their work greatly. But some really are corrupt and sometimes I don't know what the hell is wrong with their management. Also, they take time to arrive.

In my country, sometimes people are even punished for f**king defending themselves. It pisses me off. God, it's even considered 'verbal abuse' just to tell people off. I've attended disciplinary meetings for 'threatening language' and yet it was perfectly acceptable for them to write me a threatening letter disguised though legal terms.

12. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If it restores anyone's faith in humanity a little bit...

I was just reading an in-depth article about this in a popular German magazine.

Allegedly the group that the killer was in were being pretty rowdy and bothering people for a while before everything happened. I don't know why no one called the police, but maybe they weren't doing anything illegal, and in that particular neighbourhood at night it's probably not uncommon to see drunk people making a nuisance of themselves.

After Tugce yelled at the boys in the bathroom for bothering two teenaged girls, two men removed the boys from the bathroom, and forced them back upstairs. There was a man at another table who also offered to help, but consensus seemed to be that the rowdy group were just a bunch of drunk kids, and so they weren't taken seriously. One of the killer's friends also tried to stop him when he saw his friend going after Tugce, but it apparently happened so fast that I doubt too many people would have had time to react.

The article said that the two men who forced the boys upstairs as well as the man sitting at the nearby table who offered to help visited Tugce afterwards.

So, more people should have reacted, and probably should have taken the group more seriously instead of taking a "drunk boys will be drunk boys" attitude, but it wasn't a complete failure of humanity.

That's why some people become heroes; they put their lives or health on the line to help someone else. Sometimes it works out well, but sometimes it ends in tragedy. What I take from this story is not that humanity is doomed, but that we should all try to find the courage to do the right thing, like Tugce did, and maybe things will get better.

13. Quiet Raven

I really can't blame anyone for not standing up and doing something. That takes a lot of courage, and it can be very dangerous, as proven in this story.

I'll be brutally honest. If I see someone getting attacked, I won't stand up and help. I'd be too scared. Am I proud of this? No, not at all. And I will feel horrible about it. And I will play that incident over in my head, wondering if I could have made a difference.

Now, if I see someone injured on the street, alone, in need of help, that is a different story. I have seen stories where even that gets ignored by hundreds of people. You don't need to be courageous to call an ambulance. But to fight back against an attacker? There is a reason people who do this are called heroes and looked at very highly. There are brave people. And not everyone has that courage.

If you all are people who would stand up and help in a situation like this, you all have my utmost respect. And I wish I could be more like you.

#13 Quiet Raven, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  14. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Was all over the news today.