1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Highschools?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by silentsound, Oct 12, 2008.

1. silentsound

Sorry if someone has already posted about this, but NPR recently did a story about a school board in Chicago who want to create a gay-friendly high school. Do you think this is really a step in the right direction? I mean, at first when I heard this I thought it sounded awesome, but after I thought about it a bit it seems like a nice idea that will backfire. I mean, how many straight kids will want to go to the "gay school"? I guess it sounds a little like separate but equal to me, but what are your thoughts?

2. Adam

I saw this on the news the other night, I think its a dumb idea, all schools should be tolerant about this stuff, not just the one.

3. Hmmmm. Didn't we do that with separate-but-equal black schools? Look how that turned out. I think all high schools should be gay friendly. I'm guessing there's a chance the school/schoolkids/teachers etc would get harrassed or that the building would get defaced. Bad idea. And who would want to go there, even the gay students? It almost seems like the internment camps that were used for Chinese immigranst during WWII.

4. McBenz

yeah it sounds good when you first hear it but all the straight kids would feel ackward. and they are right the building would be defaced and stuff. but it would be easy to find a date haha. but it would just backfire and be a waste of time and money...

5. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The idea sounds too much like segregation to me. Here you go, gay kids. Stay here in this one building so no one will have to put up with you. I know the intentions are good, but they ought to be fixing the source of the problem - homophobia in schools - instead of running around and creating small fixes.

6. Nixon

It would be easier for students

7. CaptainTrips

I think it would just reinforce the idea that gays are somehow different in more than just sexual orientation. unless it could be pulled off that they had the same standing of, i dunno, catholic schools or something, it'd be too much like a "special" school for kids who "have something wrong with them"

as mentioned above, in general segregation leads to all sorts of problems, and would do little towards healing the root of the problem

8. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Not a good idea....segregation will get us no where....

9. Loveless

Loveless Guest

No i hate the idea!

10. NuthinButLuv

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that idea is just separate but equal all over again... a bad idea. All schools should be gay friendly.

11. Starshine16

At first I was thinking it was a good idea,but as I thought about it I realized that in fact it would be the whole segregation arguement all over again,except this time we would be segregating them not on their skin color,but based on their sexual preferances and that is just so wrong because all schools should be tolerant of all types of studiest,parents and faculty,regardless of sexual preferances.

12. musican

i think it would be a horrible idea because it would be just like segregating blacks and whites; they dont chose to be the way the are but the are viewed as inferior or wrong. Plus people would make attacks agaisnt the school and its students and teachers. another problem is, what do you do with people who arent out, but then out themselves, do you make them switch schools? how do we know that this school would give everyone the same opportunities as other schools. they might recieve less funding, or just not have enough people that attend it for it to stay open. if it closed, what would happen to the kids who went there?, everyone would know about them and many people wouldnt want them to come back to school. this idea makes my point that gays are being treated the same way that blacks were. im sick of it and i think that gay rights should have been adressed a long time ago.

13. James

It's a horrible idea.

14. Ojala

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly what I thought!
    It would only make things worse, all someone has to do is look at history to know that.

15. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan Guest

Shoddy idea. The problem of heterocentricity will undo itself within a few generations, anyway.

16. Danielle

Danielle Guest

Don't they already have these? I thought there was a couple of the in New York

17. ArcusPuer

yeah theres at least one i know of in new york.