1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay High School planned in Chicago

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by moonlake, Oct 13, 2008.

1. moonlake

I found the following on CNN today.
    While this may be a step forward for GLBT students suffering from harassment, I find it a rather sad refelection on society that the problem has become so widespread that this step is deemed necessary.

2. Master Hade

Master Hade Guest

I think this is kinda cool!! actually I like the idea

3. pirateninja

I hate it.

They should tackle the homophobia that's already in schools, not just say "Alright, gays go here." It's segregation and it won't work.

I have a better idea; how about us gay students carry on studying in the schools we're at, and we make a separate school for intolerant bigots?

4. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I really don't like the ideas that gays would have to go to their own school just to avoid harrassment and whatever else goes on. Hopefully one day we'll live in an accepting world.

5. I'm completely against it. It's like bringing back the whole separate but equal idea.

6. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It sucks that people have to go to such lengths to avoid harassment and this may not be the best idea but people are trying, just not going about it right. I do like the idea of gay schools tho, I'd love to go to one haha

7. I actually brought this up during our Current Events discussion today in Economics. My classmates didn't seem to thrilled but I explained how it was due to all the harassment and gay teens feeling unsafe which was causing them to skip and drop out.

My teacher even backed me up and thought it was a good idea which was nice to hear. He also explain how Chicago has a huge gay population and that "they have a pride festival that looks really fun." My classmates were all like "whoah" when he said that. That made me feel really good though because hes married with kids yet he comes off really open minded and accepting.

8. Master Hade

Master Hade Guest

Me too.. I think a gay school would be uber fun!!!!!! tehehehehe I would love to go there

9. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Didn't we just have a thread about this...right over here?

10. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Here, here!
    Now this lady has the right idea. :eusa_clap :lol:

How about spending that big wad of cash enforcing anti-harassment policies or the like in the current schools?

11. Defender

Defender Guest

Yeah I completely agree. I was actually thinking about this yesterday, I saw an article on an aussie website and it was annoying the hell out of me all day. They need to work on the problems that exist in current schools :frowning2:

12. kramer362

I think it's a good idea as a kind of band-aid for the time being although the real issue is teaching acceptance, or at least tolerance in schools. And even this would never stop parents from teaching their kids to hate anyone non-hetero anyway. When we're treated completely equal under the law perhaps people will START to change their attitude. But how are kids gonna accept anything non-hetero when our own government doesn't treat us equal under the law.

When it comes down to kids being bullied and physically assaulted, and possibly not even graduating high school because of it, then I'm all for it. After all there's schools for all boys, all girls, catholics, etc. This one doesn't even segregate because anyone is welcome, it just specifically caters to lgbt youth.

13. Henrike

Complete idiocy. How more regressive can you get? I mean, what the hell are these people thinking?

14. ArcusPuer

I completely disagreewith this idea,
    i mean it is just regressing,
    "Separate but Equal" and honestly, as great as a school like this sounds for those who suffer from abuse, the real story is that the abuse won't just stop when they leaveschool. Tolerence needs to be taught, not segregation. this will only serve as a short term and as someone said "bandaid" solution

15. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds way too much like segregation to me, or pushing the problem to the side rather than having to deal with it. And how would you raise the idea of going there when you're not out? My parents were the last people I came out to, when I was 17, and they're the ones who'd have had to know if I wanted to go to a school like that.

16. Endlessnight500

Umm...What do they expect to happen when the students leave this school and get put back in the real world? And BTW, I dont want to be treated different. I want to be treated just the same as everone else. This is just treating LGBT youth different in a different way (._.)

17. Sam

Sam

I don't like the idea of segregating kids. What is that saying to people? that we want equality but yet we want to be separate? that is confusing. I think what we should be doing is tackling homophobia in schools by teaching tolerance etc.... not letting it continue by taking away the "problem" (meaning glbt kids) how is anything going to change if people aren't faced with people who they view as different? What's going to happen to the glbt kids when they graduate and leave the sugar-coated environment they were in while in school?

#17 Sam, Oct 14, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  18. JurrBurr

JurrBurr Guest

I agree with you!:thumbsup:

19. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I completely agree, otherwise this whole gay-school thing will turn into a gay-loos, gay-shops, gay-restaurants, gay-cafes.... it just won't stop, it'll be like the Black segregation all over again!

I'm guessing that if that happens people will see homosexually as a sort of contagious disease (or help enforce that thought) that has to be separated from the rest of the society and it'll just undo all the steps being taken for a more unified world .... :frowning2: