1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Gay Music Director Forced Out by Homophobic Archbishop

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Adarya, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Adarya

Almost three months ago Jamie Moore was forced to resign from his job at St. Victoria because he married his partner, Garrett. He received the immediate resignation notice from the Archbishop while he was on his honeymoon, only two days after his wedding.

Jamie had been the music director at the church for over 18 years, and had led 8 different music groups (adult choir, adult praise band, teen praise band, adult hand bell choir, "little ringers" children's hand bell choir, etc.) and had trained parishioners and several other ministries. The church has suffered a huge loss, and every weekend his absence is felt. Everyone that I have talked to agrees that Jamie had to be one of the most faithful and hardworking for the church. He made it a better place every day that he was there, and he was loved by adults, teens, and children alike.

He was forced out by the Archbishop John Nienstedt, who is part of the archdioceses in St.Paul and Minneapolis. Jamie was forced to resign on grounds that he was not following the "code of conduct", yet the archdioceses had known that Jamie was gay for over 10 years beforehand, and it was also known that he had been living with his boyfriend for several years before they got married. Jamie Moore was forced out of his position because he was married. In our state it is legal to discriminate based on sexuality, but it is not legal to discriminate based on marital status. Because of this Jamie could have gone to court, but he decided against it.

The Archbishop Nienstedt - who directly called for Jamie's resignation - had no right to do so after Jamie got married. Yet, Nienstedt did what he wanted, and because of it the church has suffered terribly. Nienstedt has a history of hate and discrimination of the lgbtq community, at the same time that he has covered up accounts of priest sexual abuse claims. His resignation had been called for multiple times, yet it fails to happen.

A have created this post to bring awareness to what is currently happening in Minnesota, but especially I have created it for Jamie Moore. I have known him personally, and he has been one of the greatest role models in my life. We have a petition to get him reinstated, and it would be fantastic if anyone has the time to read and sign it.

http://http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/bring-jamie-back/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=button

News sources about Jamie Moore:

Archbishop Nienstedt Asks For Gay Music Director
    Ousted music director Jamie Manzi-Moore 'completely crushed' - KMSP-TV
    Catholic music director will not sue Nienstedt | Star Tribune
    St. Victoria Church Pastor Speaks Out On Music Director’s Resignation « CBS Minnesota
    Gay Music Director Officially Resigns after Calls from Church to Quit | KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul

About Archbishop John Nienstedt
    John Nienstedt - Minneapolis
    LGBT Catholics Call on Archbishop John Nienstedt for Inclusion [VIDEO] | City Pages
    Archbishop John Nienstedt
    Minneapolis priest says Archbishop Nienstedt must resign if church is to heal | Star Tribune

2. DoriaN

Wow, what a vile wicked man that archwhatever is.

Jesus is going to give him a heck of a talking to over those multiple offences and hypocrisy... Should we be so lucky.

The fact that the man did not go to court was very commendable, a model Christian.

3. Candace

Um, I feel really bad for the music director and his husband :frowning2:. I hope God can smite the archbishop. Shame on him!! :dry:

4. Adarya

The petition for Jamie has closed unexpectedly. I wish I would have done more to get him a larger amount of signatures :frowning2:

5. DoriaN

Don't worry, it will not go unnoticed.

6. Adarya

I really hope it will not go unnoticed. He deserves so much more :frowning2:

7. Silver Springs

Obviously I think this shows very poor form from Nienstadt (who seems a nasty piece of work) but as a Catholic I have to say that I don't think the Church should be obliged to employ someone who openly goes against Church teachings. I'm sure that the Episcopals or one of the fringe Liberal Catholic groups would be happy to have someone as gifted as Mr Moore directing music at their churches. That said, it does get up my goat somewhat when the Church is expected to bend over backwards for political correctness (I'm afraid my inner conservative nature is showing).

I mean, I'm gay, and I accept that I will never be married in the Church (which is all that I really care about). I can accept this, but I do feel sorry for Mr Moore. I'm sure that the parish has been impacted greatly by his loss. But if he has been married (after living with a same sex partner for a number of years), I think that the Archdiocese is within its rights to sack him. I'm assuming that he has openly repudiated Catholic doctrine on marriage and the family. This could mean that he has incurred excommunication ex latentae, through heresy, which is obviously terrible for any Catholic. But the Church shouldn't be expected to employ him.

In any case, God bless him and his husband. They're in my thoughts and prayers, as well as the Archbishop. May he show the pastoral spirit of Christ and the humility of the Holy Father.

8. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard small updates here and there about it. From what I hear, it seems the church may silently bring him back? Is this true at all, or just wishful thinking?