1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9 out of 10 LGBT students harassed in school

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by beckyg, Oct 14, 2008.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  2. That's so sad :frowning2:

I sometimes feel a bit afraid, but since CT is a liberal overall, it's not as bad.

3. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not that surprising to me. What kills me is that so few people ever bother to do anything about it.

4. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Huh :confused:

I've never been harrassed, maybe I'm one of those 1/10 :frowning2: .

5. sisyphusstone

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm one of those 1/10 too... but I know of someone who has been harassed. :frowning2:

6. Level N Human

I live in a pretty liberal state and in an accepting area (a bubble), so I can't even imagine being assaulted just for my sexual orientation.

I've been called some things, but just very minor incidences and it doesn't bother me anymore than people with road rage cussing or honking at me.

If I could have super-power, I'd want the ability to project the emotional impact that angry people have on their victims onto their own feelings. This'd be a real seemingly passive power, but we'd be stronger-loving world with more understanding of each other.

Wow, I went on a tangent. My point is: Don't anyone here ever let a harasser get you down; they will never win if you don't give in. That's how mental fights go at least; but for physical assaults REPORT THEIR ASSES.

7. Nodnarb

I haven't seen any harassment of the people who are out at my school. I suppose, I'm not around them all the time, so I don't see everything....but that number is a bit surprising to me. Unfortunately, its probably accurate.

8. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been verbally abused a few times, and one or two instances of what might be called physical abuse on a very low scale by a friend. There haven't been any physical fights in my school since I got here, but there's loads of verbal hate.

9. *sigh* At my hometown school, I was being harrassed for being gay before I even knew I wasn't straight. Thankfully I don't really care what people think for the most part.
    And fortunately I now go to a Des Moines school where I know one openly gay person, and see several others that appear to be gay. I have never seen anything against these people here.

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm glad you go to a more accepting school. (*hug*)

11. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The results of the survey are not surprising though yet it is still very sad to read that so many have to experience discrimination for something that is just a normal part of someone's life. I think though that the positive notes should not be overlooked either, as they prove that education and a general increased awareness do help to make school environments more inclusive and safer. A lot still needs to be done though to make all schools more inclusive and safe. Believe it or not, but all of you can be a part of making your schools more inclusive and safer....

12. george678

I think it is down to the people you tell if you tell somebody you can trust it wont happen if you go round boasting or tell somebody you don't trust it will sadly happen.

13. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's sad and true. I was harrassed in middle and high school. But have never been harrassed once in college.

14. pirateninja

I used to be harassed at school, and still am a bit around home and stuff, but my school that I moved to a few years back is very accepting.

15. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks for saying that Asteroid. Its true that everyone can make a difference in making your schools more inclusive and safer. You need to be active in educating your friends about these issues. If your school has a GSA, be a part of that. If your school doesn't have a GSA, try to get one going. There are many things you can do.

16. davo-man

I was slightly harrassed in Yr 10, but it wasn't cos of my sexuality...Actually, I can't remember what it was about...and I'm now really good friends with the guy who was behind it all. Talk about reversal of fortune or something

17. Odradek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not out so I don't get harassed. But if I got a dime for every time someone said "thats so gay" in my school,i would be obscenely rich.

18. Greggers

At my old highschool school, my strait teacher was let go because students spread rumors about him being gay. He was just very open and accepting, not gay. It was sad that he got fired because of it, but its just how things are here. If your different, thats bad. 95% of my school is white, with only one or two people in each class being a different race. The black girl who was in my class got harassed alot, it was very sad. As for gays? there has never been enough openly gay people to attend the school since the 1940's to present day to make UP a 9/10 stat. Its quite sad, seeing as so many must have been in the closet like me out of fear.

19. TheRoof

i'm really not surprised, but disturbing nonetheless.
    that is why i decided to comeout after highschool, cuz
    highschool kids could be a real ignorant buttholes

20. MattyPatty

When I lived in Ontario some guys from the Christian school beat me up twice, the first time they ended up sending me to the hospital. Although I never told anyone irl why they actually beat me up. In Vancouver I'm openly gay and no one in my school does anything to me personally but my locker has seen a lot or torture :| I feel bad for it.