1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Tamir Rice Death Ruled a Homicide by Examiner

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BryanM, Dec 12, 2014.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    More here (Warning: Link has another link that shows video of shooting, so trigger warning): Tamir Rice's Death Ruled A Homicide By Medical Examiner : The Two-Way : NPR

We'll see how this case progresses. Honestly, I don't see an indictment in this case either, since this case somewhat is between the Brown and Garner cases in people's opinions. However, I do end up seeing the officer canned for this.

2. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why is that even a news story? Did NPR think he died of natural causes? All shootings that cause a death are ruled a homicide. It will be up to a grand jury to decide if it's a justifiable homicide or not. (I mean justifiable in a legal sense not a moral one) In addition,
    according to an attorney that was on the radio, Ohio supposedly has a lower standard for cops doing a shooting than the average citizen, they have more legal discretion for shooting. :icon_sad:

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ohio is a very interesting state when it comes to laws that differ between citizens and police. I did not know about this, but it is not surprising to me that this exists. It will be interesting to see how this case plays out, and what happens if it goes to a grand jury.

4. AlamoCity

Usually, the cause of death will either be ruled: homicide, suicide, accident, or natural causes. If a burglar breaks in and threatens my family and I kill him, it would be ruled a homicide for death certificate purposes but would basically be "justified." I agree with @sldanlm in that the actual word "homicide" would be used. What's left is to see if there are any indictments or criminal proceedings.

5. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is not surprising in the least. After all, it's not like he died of natural causes.

A homicide is a deliberate killing, while a murder is a deliberate killing without justification. All murders are homicides, but not all homicides are murders.

6. PositivelyMe

Out Status:
    Some people
    It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I feel for the family of this little boy and hope that they find peace